Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TOMTOM ONE XL Help needed plz..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TOMTOM ONE XL Help needed plz..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headworx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: New TOMTOM ONE XL Help needed plz.. Reply with quote

Hi all,

Any chance someone can help me with this. I am used to using tomtom on my pda, but decided to go for a tomtom one xl over Xmas as a new toy.

The XL i have is the 4S00.007 with 512mb internal memory.
It is the UK and Rep Ire version.

I just want to add new maps to it using my 2gb Sandisk SD card. The maps i have are Western Europe latest ones, but when I format the SD card and copy the western Europe map folder across (approx 1gb) it doesnt recognise it in the XL, I get the insert a valid sd card screen.

Do i have to copy all the files from the Internal memory onto th eSD card so it recognises properly? If so do i then format the internal memory so its blank?

Many thanks in advance, its driving me mad, the PPC version im savvy with but this one im not.

Happy New Year all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best approach with this is to copy all the One XL's memory contents to the SD card, then put the new map on the memory card.

The One XL will only boot from either the internal memory OR the SD, it cannot use both storage mediums at the same time, if an SD card is inserted the device will boot from the card and ignore any files present in the Flash Memory - Mike
headworx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the quick reply, whilst searching on the net a little more i found this which also explains what you said:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=1&PID=1658&SID=0&CID=216&Language=1&FID=1898

Many thanks, ill try this and post how i get on. Smile
headworx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All working now, i copied the entire contents of the internal memory to the SD card, as mentioned on the tomtom site if a SD card is inserted then it looks to that first (I've therefore left the original data on the internal ram too as a extra backup).

Just copied all my POIs across and they arent working although i can see them when i go into manage. Im gonna use the search button first before i post this time though. Smile

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headworx wrote:

Just copied all my POIs across and they arent working although i can see them when i go into manage. Im gonna use the search button first before i post this time though. Smile

Thanks.

If you can see them in manage POIs, you should be able to use them.
What's not working?

I'm sure you know this already, but:

To show them on the map you have to enable them. In "Browse Map view" use the "options" button at the bottom, then "POI" and select the ones you want to see.
You will also need to zoom in to see them all. When zoomed out it only shows a few at random.

To have them show up in driving view, you need to set them up in Change Preferences/Manage POI / Warn when near.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
To have them show up in driving view, you need to set them up in Change Preferences/Manage POI / Warn when near.
They will also show on the Navigation Map if they are Enabled, but there will then be a slowing down of the Map redraw if too many are Enabled. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:
They will also show on the Navigation Map if they are Enabled, but there will then be a slowing down of the Map redraw if too many are Enabled. Wink

Yeah sorry, being vague... I meant "To have them show up flashing in the corner in driving view..."

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: