Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 Big Disappointment
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 Big Disappointment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atomp3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: TomTom 720 Big Disappointment Reply with quote

I`ve bought tom-tom 720 and It`s become a big disappointment to me . First of all I hate limitation. You should be able to customize every bit o f menu, maps, routes and sounds!
1. You can not change the annoying sound of speed camera. Should be easy way to do it and it should read at least mp3, wav.
2. You should be able to plan a route on a pc than send it to tomotm, from different sources like google maps (whole route), route 66 etc..
3. WHY you cannot plan a route and save it (I found only favourites destination points)
4. Software should be Open Source would be MUCH BETTER!
5. Navigation is not user friendly it looks like but it is NOT. Sometimes when you looking for something you try to dig thru menus and it takes ages to find. Should be at least possibility to change icons to list!
6. WHY there is NO software video player built in???
7. Only plus that I`ve found is the look
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 720 Big Disappointment Reply with quote

atomp3 wrote:
I`ve bought tom-tom 720 and It`s become a big disappointment to me . First of all I hate limitation. You should be able to customize every bit o f menu, maps, routes and sounds!
1. You can not change the annoying sound of speed camera. Should be easy way to do it and it should read at least mp3, wav.
2. You should be able to plan a route on a pc than send it to tomotm, from different sources like google maps (whole route), route 66 etc..
3. WHY you cannot plan a route and save it (I found only favourites destination points)
5. Navigation is not user friendly it looks like but it is NOT. Sometimes when you looking for something you try to dig thru menus and it takes ages to find. Should be at least possibility to change icons to list!

i too have recently bought the 720 and found it a fantastic piece of equipment, however in answer to some of you point
1, goto the speed camera section and look at the faq's as you can change the sounds for speed cameras from this sites database, not tt's
2, you can use tyre which allows you to plan with google
3, see 2
4, thats life, nothing for nothing
5 i think the menu structure is very easy to use
6 mobilnova is available and very good, but i take your point, but after saying that it is a sat nav not a incar dvd player
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez mate, why on earth did you buy it in the first place.
Was it an impulse buy, or did you do lots and lots of research.
atomp3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO-GO-910 wrote:
Jeez mate, why on earth did you buy it in the first place.
Was it an impulse buy, or did you do lots and lots of research.

TESCO VOUCHER 100f and 50f off that`s why, otherwise I would buy Mio
atomp3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 720 Big Disappointment Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
atomp3 wrote:

i too have recently bought the 720 and found it a fantastic piece of equipment, however in answer to some of you point
1, goto the speed camera section and look at the faq's as you can change the sounds for speed cameras from this sites database, not tt's
2, you can use tyre which allows you to plan with google
3, see 2
4, thats life, nothing for nothing
5 i think the menu structure is very easy to use
6 mobilnova is available and very good, but i take your point, but after saying that it is a sat nav not a incar dvd player

1. yes but should be able to do it from tt
2. I`have tryied tyre and not found usefool it show route different than google
6. mobilnova is not for free. If tt can display pictures why not movies?
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough atomp, i just wondered why you got it having so many issues.
Hope you grow into it though.
TomTom are not bullet proof BUT they are good.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN change the sound for TT's own speed cameras now.
(I was surprised too, as I'd been saying you couldn't for years)

On the 720 it is TomTom Plus Services (Main menu page 3) / TT Safety Cameras / Change Warning Preferences / Pick a camera type (or "all") / say "no" to "remove warning?" / It then asks for a warning time (as opposed to distance) / Then finally gives you the options of:
Brief Spoken Warning
Sound Effect, or
Type in own warning
(the first and third only appearing if you use a TTS "computer" voice).

If you choose "sound effect" you can choose any of the built in sound effects or you can add either wavs or oggs using the method I discovered and wrote about HERE

You also CAN plot routes on the PC. As well as Tyre, you can use THIS method, where you just add and drag waypoints around on the Google maps to create a route and then convert it into a TomTom itinerary.
But just as in Tyre, you have to add enough waypoints, otherwise the two algorithms may deviate from each other BETWEEN the waypoints.
atomp3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
You CAN change the sound for TT's own speed cameras now.
(I was surprised too, as I'd been saying you couldn't for years)

On the 720 it is TomTom Plus Services (Main menu page 3) / TT Safety Cameras / Change Warning Preferences / Pick a camera type (or "all") / say "no" to "remove warning?" / It then asks for a warning time (as opposed to distance) / Then finally gives you the options of:
Brief Spoken Warning
Sound Effect, or
Type in own warning
(the first and third only appearing if you use a TTS "computer" voice).

If you choose "sound effect" you can choose any of the built in sound effects or you can add either wavs or oggs using the method I discovered and wrote about HERE

You also CAN plot routes on the PC. As well as Tyre, you can use THIS method, where you just add and drag waypoints around on the Google maps to create a route and then convert it into a TomTom itinerary.
But just as in Tyre, you have to add enough waypoints, otherwise the two algorithms may deviate from each other BETWEEN the waypoints.

I`m happy with that but this is what i said about interface. it`s not clear Smile

Google route points and export to file all ok as well. Bravo! ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: