Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - loosing faith big time with camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

loosing faith big time with camera database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: loosing faith big time with camera database Reply with quote

in just 1 week i have come across 5 cameras that are not showing up on the database within the m25 area and 2 are on a very well used road the a21 ,i have managed to capture 3 of them with the other 2 i couldn't get to poi quick enough so missed them as it's not easy with a 720
is there nothing you can do to make the database more reliable ,like registered users who's changes are done 1st time
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: loosing faith big time with camera database Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
in just 1 week i have come across 5 cameras that are not showing up on the database within the m25 area and 2 are on a very well used road the a21

Hmm, where abouts on the A21? There are a couple of new cameras there but they are in the latest database...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very very surprised if these cameras are not already in our database. Were this the Scottish Highlands or some other remote area then it might be possible for us to miss a few cameras occasionally but not in the South.

Obviously for us too comment we need to know where these cameras were? You don't need to use your 720, on the camera report page you can locate the area, zoom in and verify if we have them on our database. If we do then you need to examine why your device doesn't.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my intrusion, but there's no mention of which version of the database is being used.

The natural assumption is that its the latest, but this might not be the case
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked and Andy has downloaded the latest release. That does not of course prove it has been installed.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, while it is impossible to be CERTAIN about this (until you can supply some closer details), looking at the LIKELY situation it seems probable that this has to be either a problem with the set-up of the database on your particular machine, or a simple case of mistaken identity.

A couple of scenarios:
As Darren suggests above, there are now thousands of users of the database, many of them submitting like mad to try to get the free life-subscription.
Within the M25, there are USUALLY upto a dozen reports of a 'real' new camera ON THE FIRST DAY. There are even reports arriving before the cement dries around the empty post!
If you say there are around FIVE missing cameras on a main trunk road, why are there no other reports?

The database in this respect is quite self-correcting. If there are loads of reports at a single spot, that camera site is "believed" and will go straight into the database.
As a verifier, I am tasked to check some of the possible sightings that HAVEN'T had lots of reports.
On average, I have to say that 95% of these reports for fixed camera sites (Gatso's Monitrons, Redlight etc.) turn out to be something else - CCTV cameras, Number plate recognition cameras, Flashing "Slow down" signs, or whatever. Again, I only get to see these sites because only one or two people have claimed to have found a camera there.

My immediate suspicion is that you are seeing some of the hundreds of multiple 'number plate recognition' systems being installed at the moment. As these are not there to police speeding, they won't be in the database.

Alternatively, if there is a problem with the actual warning set-up on your machine, no-one else will be reporting these cameras because THEIR units are 'seeing' them OK already.

As I say, we're not doubting you, but will need a bit more info.
The FIRST thing for you to do, is check the exact position of any one of your disputed sites on the main database map on the submission page.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras
If the camera DOES show up there, we'll know it is a problem that only you are seeing, for whatever reason, and can work from there.

Finally, I have to say, it is JUST as easy to mark a camera's position without POI Capture on a 720. In fact, if you have the quick menu set up to only do "Add Favourite", then it is just ONE screen tap. Admittedly, that will only store the position, not any other details, but that's not usually difficult to remember until you can add it or just write it down.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I checked and Andy has downloaded the latest release. That does not of course prove it has been installed.

Darren, sorry, 5.115 is the latest release but the last download made by andy-c1 was 5.113.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, but even so the 5.113 would have still not have all the errors Andy suggests?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If you say there are around FIVE missing cameras on a main trunk road, why are there no other reports?

Ahh, I've seen these new ANPR/Traffic monitoring/big brother cameras going up around this area (and others). Maybe that's what andy-c1 saw?

They look a bit like this:

Though they are right across the road like SPECS would be. I'll try and get a photo of some, there are lots of them going up now.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these the cameras for the emissions zone that starts early next year? just a thought - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd be in the right area.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I'll try and get a photo of some, there are lots of them going up now.

Already done...

Are these what you've been seeing andy-c1?

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Skippy wrote:
I'll try and get a photo of some, there are lots of them going up now.

Already done...

Yes, those are the ones I'm thinking of. I'm sure I've seen these on the A20 and A21. What are they? ANPR?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all ANPR for one reason or another. Big Brother, Ring of steel, anticrime, anti-terrorism, low-emission zone monitoring....

The ones I photographed had a plate on the pole saying they were managed by TfL. Maybe we should give them a ring!

Have you also seen the single ones with a little aerial on top, often mounted on traffic lights or road signs. Seem to be called "Spike" cameras...
http://www.ea-group.co.uk/security/commercial/spike.html

All traffic movements by EVERYONE now stored for seven years.
And we let it happen, without even a debate in Parliament...
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eish didn't expect so many replys to my post ,i managed to poi 2 of the cameras while driving and i think i do have the latest version if not i might be a month out but the approx area is N 51.040696,E 0.02555 & N 51.40198 W0.05337there was another 2 i went past as well in 1 night which almost caught me speeding Smile once but then again it might have been the same 1 i went though for a 2nd time that night .... i don't know london at all so rely on tt very much

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: