Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Alert on a 970-T (UK)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Alert on a 970-T (UK)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vizzair
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Speed Alert on a 970-T (UK) Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just got the 970 and i do like it, but I find the overspeed warning you get could do to be adjustable.

The 30 MPH warning only sounds when you hit 40MPH ( far to late ) I would like to be able to adjust this to something like 35 or less, but I cannot find anyway to do this .

Are these limits fixed, or is there some way to "tweak" them ?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Alert on a 970-T (UK) Reply with quote

vizzair wrote:
Hi,
I have just got the 970 and i do like it, but I find the overspeed warning you get could do to be adjustable.

The 30 MPH warning only sounds when you hit 40MPH ( far to late ) I would like to be able to adjust this to something like 35 or less, but I cannot find anyway to do this .

Are these limits fixed, or is there some way to "tweak" them ?

Just got mine before Christmas and gave it a good run to Switzerland and back. I have found the speed warnings VERY accurate but the voice warning very annoying so I have turned it off. I know that this probably means that I am going one or two KM/MPH above the speed limit briefly but I do keep an eye on it.
I wonder if you are looking at your speedometer or the speed on the 970 because they will be different. Your speedometer is always about 10% over the actual speed that you are travelling whereas the GPS indicated speed should be very accurate.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question, I know. How do you switch off the sound of the warning without switching off all sounds?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Security Configuration screen is what you need. See page 41 on V7 Manual for 1 way to get to it, in Navigation Mode - click on main access button (bottom right), then the 123 icon then the ! icon.
B_G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
How do you switch off the sound of the warning without switching off all sounds?

Hi !
You need to be in "Guidance" mode. Hit the little menu harrow on the bottom right, then "Guidance Options" (the little button with a green red & blue dots), then select "Security Configuration" and it's all there.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if you could get a visual warning but no sound. It doesn't have the limit for all roads so there has been an assumption about speed limits. For example it warns me that I am exceeding 30 in a 40 limit. The idea is good but execution is patchy.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't appear to be the option to turn off the sound (or icon) only on the VM cameras. However, where you install the PGPSW ones (stored as POIs), you CAN set sound/visual separately as you wish, as with other POIs.

There seem to be two alerts; one is for the cameras (and there seems to be a question with some people whether the alarm is set to continental values rather than UK and going off too early) - the other is the speed alert which is based on assumed speed limits for the type of road (which also may not be set for UK). Unfortunately at the moment the values are not adjustable in Version 7, whereas from the Version 6 manual it seems that they were before.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
There doesn't appear to be the option to turn off the sound (or icon) only on the VM cameras. However, where you install the PGPSW ones (stored as POIs), you CAN set sound/visual separately as you wish, as with other POIs.

There seem to be two alerts; one is for the cameras (and there seems to be a question with some people whether the alarm is set to continental values rather than UK and going off too early) - the other is the speed alert which is based on assumed speed limits for the type of road (which also may not be set for UK). Unfortunately at the moment the values are not adjustable in Version 7, whereas from the Version 6 manual it seems that they were before.

Hi David I agree with you but with some reservation. It does seem that there is no option to turn off sound and retain the visual speed camera alert but I find the various settings on this device very confusing after using the Navman with it's very easy navigation to all the various settings, for some years. I'm also not sure that the speed alerts are assumed speed limits as my device does seem to give the alert at the start of posted speed limits giving the impression that they are programmed into the device.
My other annoyance Crying or Very sad is that the speed camera alert is given far too early at 1Km and then frequently up to the camera and is not adjustable. When I get up the nerve, I will install the PGPSW camera POIs and see if I can turn off the VM installed ones (don't like the very small icons on the VM either)
Having said that, the navigation so far has been great and I like the Motorway option. It's a balance thing, isn't it...

Graham

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: