Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What operating system does my TomTom use?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What operating system does my TomTom use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike1962
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: What operating system does my TomTom use? Reply with quote

I'm a new user to TomTom products. I recently bought a TomTom ONE XL. A couple of days ago lent it to a friend who on returning it had installed a couple of games on it to amuse my young son (Happy Lines and one called Robo). Though obviously not a proper gaming device, it certainly helps to keep him quiet in the car!

Anyway, I thought I would do my own search for TomTom compatible games on the net and I found a few sites that appear have them for various hand held GPS systems, however you have to choose the specific operating system of your device before downloading them (Windows CE, Palm etc.). I have absolutely no idea what operating system is used in my TomTom, and I couldn't find anything in the manual either.

Please can someone advise this newbie what OS he's using? Smile

Mike.
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Unix or Linux...not sure. I think Linux as the Mobilnova add on software is written in Linux.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you are seeing Palm, Win CE etc is for PDAs (mini PCs) that can run navigation software as a program.
Confusingly, when you look on the net "TomTom" is often referring to the "Navigator" program that can be run on these PDAs.

Devices like the TomTom Go on the other hand, are "stand-alone" devices which don't use a standard operating system (or if they do, it's kept well hidden!)
The TomTom uses its own developed core software, but it is known to be based around Linux.

Games therefore, need to be specially written or adapted to work on the TomTom.

Happy Lines and Robo are good aren't they?
I think I've only seen one other site that had a couple of games, but I think I have the bookmark at work, can't find it here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: