Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom new verssion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom new verssion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philmc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: tom tom new verssion Reply with quote

I have a go 700 with version 6.150 when I go to tom tom home I do not get the option to update to V7.160. do I have the wrong version of home or should I be looking for somthing to tell me the only new application it is offering me is v6.150 that I already have, any help much appreciated and is it worth updating anyway? cheers
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which version of Home are you running?
philmc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, I tried to instal version 2 but as I do not have the latest windows I could not install it, whre would i look to check which version of home i have, cheers.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help Menu / About
(You can usually find the version number of any Windows prog. there)

It's possible that Home 1.5 and 1.6 won't offer the update, I know you can't download the latest maps without V2.1
philmc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound, just checked it out v1.3 must be really old How can I get newer version without latest windows I.E vista or xp ? cheers
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Home 1.3 with Windows ME and downloaded TT version 7.160 for my 510 about a week ago without a problem. I dont remember the exact detail but I know that I followed a link back to the TT website to find more detail about the update and that link was identified as for 6.150 so it maybe the same for you.

Why not backup your 700 anyway as you should do before any attempt to make a change, download the update and see what you get.

7.160 will give you improved functionality including mapshare, but you will need to update the maps that means you will need Home 2.1 and also Windows XP or Vista and broadband. I am thinking of just updating my Windows ME to XP by purchasing an upgrade version of XP this seems to be the least expensive option, a change to Vista would mean a completly new computer and most of existing software and hardware would also be scrap.

Check out my thread "TT510 Upgrade problems" for more details about a similar problem. I dont know why TT decided to write Home versions higher than 1.3 so they could only run with XP or Vista its not as though there is some complicated stuff going on. I can only assume Microsoft demand current software applications should not be maintained for use with earlier versions of Windows as they no longer support them either.

Last edited by EricWB on Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a link for Home 1.5 and it says
Quote:
HOME 1.5 can not be installed on systems running Windows 98, Windows ME, or any Mac OS X lower then 10.3.9

so I think you are stuck with 1.3.
If you can't/don't want to upgrade Windows, is there anyone else you know with XP that you could install Home 2.1 onto, and do your updates there?
philmc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that guys, I dont think I will bother updating windows so stuck with 6.150. Is it really worth the update of the TT will I notice that much difference?I really only use it when I travel to europe. Regards philmc
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only want to navigate from a-b and don't want all the extras like Mapshare, then no.
Your only problem is that you won't be able to update your maps without Home 2 and v7 software.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: