Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using TomTom With My Mobile, Help Please?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using TomTom With My Mobile, Help Please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
computergenie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Using TomTom With My Mobile, Help Please? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I got a TomTom One V2 (New Edition) (Regional).

I used my dads compatible phone to link my tomtom to it it worked with no probs but i notice when connected to GPRS (i think that what it is) i get charged by network provider. Is this normal to get charged by network provider?

Also i went into a mobile phone shop and the man told me that being connected to the GPRS does not cost but as soon as it downloads something etc it will charge, can someone confirm this is correct aswell?

Reason why i ask is if i go on a long journey which i do now and then over 350 mile and i was using tomtom traffic surely it would cost alot of money?

If it only charges when tomtom is downloading from phone GPRS how do i know when tomtom is downloading and that for example tomtom traffic does it continously check for traffic whilst out navigating or every so many minutes like 15 minute intervals etc so it does not cost user to much money?

Also is downloading something when for example when tomtom says connecting to server etc is that classed as downloading?

I would honestly really appreciate if someone could answer my questions and explain to me as i cant find the info and answers to my questions anywhere.

Please Help i was gonna buy a new phone but if it is to eppensive via phone then i wont bother. Surely there is an easier way to do this or a network provider that dont charge?

Thank you,
Mat
SanDisk 2GB SD Card.
computergenie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also i will only be using it for Tom Tom Traffic and not very often which is the cheapest netowrk provider to go with?

I was gonna by a Motorola Razr V3
SanDisk 2GB SD Card.
computergenie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be moved to the "TomTom Traffic" Forum please as i think i may get an aswer there as it is more in regards to my question?

Thanks
SanDisk 2GB SD Card.
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to your TT traffic preferences you will fin the option to limit how often TT downloads traffic info.... ( once every 15 mins Etc)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be carefull which network provider you use and do you intend to use a contrcted mobile phone (pay per month) or pay as you go? this can have a large bearing on cost. Some network providers don't even allow a true GPRS connecton via pay as you go.
Check the network tariff costs though as it can get costly, O2 are about the worst for charges, since I switched to T-Mobile I have an unlimited internet connection via the phone for a flat rate fee of 7.50 per month.
GPRS traffic updates typically consume 100KB per hour when set to a 10 min update so 6 hours in the car equates to 600KB of data charges, extrapolate this over a month and you will soon see the cost build up.
The advice the shop gave you was correct (for a refreshing change) GPRS costs nothing while connected, you are charged by the data downloaded in MB or part of MB depending upon contract, flat rate tariffs are the best as you know the cost can never exceed a specific amount per month - shop around as there are decent data tariffs available they just take a while to find - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Using TomTom With My Mobile, Help Please? Reply with quote

computergenie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I got a TomTom One V2 (New Edition) (Regional).

I used my dads compatible phone to link my tomtom to it it worked with no probs but i notice when connected to GPRS (i think that what it is) i get charged by network provider. Is this normal to get charged by network provider?

That's correct, as they are providing a data connection
Quote:
Also i went into a mobile phone shop and the man told me that being connected to the GPRS does not cost but as soon as it downloads something etc it will charge, can someone confirm this is correct aswell?

Also correct, the actual connection doesn't cost anything, you get charged by the Mb for any data you download/upload, the price depends on contract ut can be anywhere between £2 and £5 per Mb.
Quote:
Reason why i ask is if i go on a long journey which i do now and then over 350 mile and i was using tomtom traffic surely it would cost alot of money?

If it only charges when tomtom is downloading from phone GPRS how do i know when tomtom is downloading and that for example tomtom traffic does it continously check for traffic whilst out navigating or every so many minutes like 15 minute intervals etc so it does not cost user to much money?

Also is downloading something when for example when tomtom says connecting to server etc is that classed as downloading?

I would honestly really appreciate if someone could answer my questions and explain to me as i cant find the info and answers to my questions anywhere.

Please Help i was gonna buy a new phone but if it is to eppensive via phone then i wont bother. Surely there is an easier way to do this or a network provider that dont charge?

Thank you,
Mat

You can as has been said limit the frequency of updates, checking TomTom PLUS Weather would incur a charge.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

computergenie wrote:
Also i will only be using it for Tom Tom Traffic and not very often which is the cheapest netowrk provider to go with?

I was gonna by a Motorola Razr V3
Investigate whether the Razr V3 is compatible - it looks a bit restricted to only a few TT models.

Don't be TOO frightened of GPRS charges - I WAS, but when I took a free trial of TT Traffic, I found the downloads were comparatively small and didn't cost me a fortune. Just find out how much the charge is per Meggabyte - Mike says you might get up to 600Kb a day, say at £2 a Mb, that would be about £1.40, but mine was never anywhere near that and if you're an infrequent user (as opposed to all day, every day - I switched mine off part of the day and didn't use it every day either) I'd think the cost could be negligible. Having said which, personally I always recommend people to tune their radio in to Radio Five Live (MW 909 and 693).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmobile pay as you go have a maximum of £1 per 24hours once you start your data connection.

contract i'd recoment tmobile 'web n walk' (7.50 fo runlimited data as mikealder stated above.

MaFt
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving from Maidenhead to Birmingham this morning (08:30 till about 10:30) my phone sent 13kB and received 18kB of traffic (TT720).

Last week, I did a journey of about 4 hours though the midlands, and down to cheltenham and sent 98kB, received 144kB.

Weekdays for my commute into work (Along the m4 into heathrow) I use 4kB sent, 8kB received.

Since O2 give me 1MB free a month, I expect I'll probably need about that. Maybe as much as 2MB max. I think that's probably a couple of quid. My kids use more than that on txting their friends so I don't think I'll worry about TTTraffic being too expensive on packet charges.

H
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom did have a page that gives the amount of data that will be consumed by TRAFFIC but I can't find it, does anyone have the link?

Last edited by Darren on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean This one? - I think the data quantity they are listing is a tad on the low side though from what I have experianced in the past I work on a figure of 100KB/Hr at rush hour times updating every 10 mins, at less busy periods the data traffic will be less - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, that was the one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: