Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT1 3rd Edition - Save Your Own
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT1 3rd Edition - Save Your Own
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: TT1 3rd Edition - Save Your Own Reply with quote

hi there

i put in a destination the other day to a place i know how to get to, neither the fastest route or the shortest route went along the way i've been going for years, i suspect mine is 2 mins slower than the fastest route or 200m longer than the shortest route

is there anyway you can make and save your own routes ? say by setting a start position as you drive off and a finish when you get there and have it save that as a route ?

if not available with tomtoms own options/soft, is there a 3rd party soft where i could possibly map the route the way i know i would like to go, then save as a favourite and install to the tomtom

many thx

TTOV3...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to do this reliably is through the use of Itinerary planning which is available on all TomTom devices except the One Third Edition. You can re-enable the Itinerary option though by installing a custom menu, this will also give you full POI control (which is also missing on this device) - the down side is you will lose a couple of newer functions (a small loss IMHO) - have a read of This the details about custom menu and enabling the missing functions that you want/ need are at the end of the write up - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, you might like to try following the TT route one day.

I have a regular destination for which I already know and have always used the "best" route, but one day last week, I decided to go the TT route and to my amazement found it better! It was just the last half mile or so in town, I usually swing round to approach this one from my right and TT took me round from the left. I'm not sure if this is a good thing normally, but it certainly was for this particular 6 mile trip.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can download tyre and google earth and set waypoint for a trip so it will take you a particular way and save it to your tt, the goto plan itinerary and load itinerary Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed, this is a TomTom One Third Edition, out of the box there is no Itinerary planning option as TomTom decided not to include it! - see my post above and the link I supplied for further information - Mike
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for the prompt reply and help guiding me in the direction of that tutorial to restore the errors of tomtoms ways Laughing

i haven't had a play with manage poi's yet, but i'm sure i'll get around to that in due course, the main part for me was navigating and while i've had a fiddle with that now, it seems the tomtom cant do exactly what i was after :-

get in my car - push remember location - go off to my destination and then push finish and have it remember and save the route i've just driven along

then again i would also have liked a "reverse route" option whereby the path i've just travelled along from my lets say "home" to destination is reversed at the touch of a button for the return journey

but i guess it would need to be a supercomputer for that Smile

my worry is a trip into london waterloo i got coming up, on the way i'm gonna have beside me someone who knows his way around well, but on the return route i will not

tomtoms fastest route there [for me coming up the M3 from Fleet] is to go via the M25 and M4, then A4, but that can only be the fastest way if the carpark., sorry M25 is actually going somewhere, my preference is to carry on along the M3, A316 and onto the A4 at that point of the journey

the worry comes when i drop my passenger off and i put in destination "home" if tomtom then reroutes me down the A4, M4, M25, M3 route which i don't want to go Mad

unless i've missed something in the menu [only had it 4 days] it looks like i'm gonna be going on a right merry go round on the way back.. Sad

TTOV3...
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
gardenshed, this is a TomTom One Third Edition, out of the box there is no Itinerary planning option as TomTom decided not to include it! - see my post above and the link I supplied for further information - Mike
yes i know, i found the link you gave very informative, however, you did in the link give advice on how to get the itinerary menu, and if they chose to do that, they could use tyre, just thought they could make an informed decision if they knew about it Very Happy
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - with ref to your reply - thanks - i understand that TT fastest route should in all likelihood be the best route to take over any limited knowledge one might have gained driving the roads in the days before satnav, but now hopefully after you see my further post giving route details you can understand my concern/apprehension that TT doesn't always know best, i mean how can it - it sending me round the M25 Laughing

Gardenshed - with ref to your reply - thanks - i have google but don't know what this "tyre" thing is that you refer to, could you possibly please point me in the right direction ?

thanks all

TTOV3...
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as mike says you will need to alter the tt to show the itinerary options, as explained in his link, then go to here to get tyre and google earth. i have this and it is very useful
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other way to get around the problem, if you want both systems is to buy a new sd card and put the new 'itinerary' system on it. you can then change the sd card to suit your needs and it wont need connecting to a pc every time you want to do it, however, you will have to copy your safety camera or other important info to both cards to ensure consistency. i have two cards and swap if need be, no problem at all. play.com have a good selection of cheap sd cards Wink

edit: BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL BEFORE YOU START ANYTHING Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What SD card - the Third edition has no slot - everything is stored on internal flash memory - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTOV3 wrote:
tomtoms fastest route there [for me coming up the M3 from Fleet] is to go via the M25 and M4, then A4, but that can only be the fastest way if the carpark., sorry M25 is actually going somewhere, my preference is to carry on along the M3, A316 and onto the A4 at that point of the journey

the worry comes when i drop my passenger off and i put in destination "home" if tomtom then reroutes me down the A4, M4, M25, M3 route which i don't want to go Mad

Two points here - First, if you ignore TT and continue along the M3, the recalculation will do the route you prefer. Second, my recent experiences are showing that you'll suffer more when you hit the A4. It contributed more than its fair share on my 9.75 hour return trip this week (240 miles). I think I "enjoyed" some 4 hours inside the A4 corridor!!

Consider a simple return route - after letting TT prepare the route via M4, M25, choose to Travel Via Wandsworth (though I would avoid A4 by Travel Via Clapham). Sure, that's clonky, but it seems you don't have many options.

More complicated - create a couple of Favourites on the route as you go there, then return by navigating to them until you've got past wherever you wish to avoid.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
one other way to get around the problem, if you want both systems is to buy a new sd card and put the new 'itinerary' system on it. you can then change the sd card to suit your needs and it wont need connecting to a pc every time you want to do it, however, you will have to copy your safety camera or other important info to both cards to ensure consistency. i have two cards and swap if need be, no problem at all. play.com have a good selection of cheap sd cards Wink

edit: BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL BEFORE YOU START ANYTHING Wink

thx for the link, i've had a read, got one question if you don't mind before i go ahead and install any more 3rd party soft on my pc, in case it don't work for me or i cant work it, however/whatever you create with tyre, is it easy to load/install onto TT like dragNdrop to a root folder ?, because otherwise i'm not sure how you get it on there as "load itinerary" on tom interface doesn't allow to select a path to your hd!

TTOV3...

PS - BACKUP - wish i had before i installed voices and maps and POI's etc etc, also wish TT werent so tight and provided a 7p cd within the box ! Exclamation
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTOV3 - Did you miss Mike's post? Gardenshed's advice would make sense *IF* you had an SD card slot on your machine!

Re the itineraries. Once the menu is there, it will save the itineraries to a folder on the TT called "itn". When you re-load a saved itinerary, it will look there.

Getting back to your main question. Don't forget you can set up the return route from the station to home in "A-B Advanced Planning" (I think that still exists on the 3rd Edition). When it has calculated the route, tap "Details" and b"browse map of route" and you will be able to see its preferred route.
Unfortunately you cannot add a "via" or waypoint on the advanced planning page, but when you come to actually do the return trip you can do "Navigate via" the A316 if you tap it on the map.

(That's if you don't get round to installing the itinerary function as per Mike's instructions, which would be the best solution).
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - thanks for the "travel via Wandsworth" tip on the return route, i don't know any of the route really very well to know what to input as a via, i will try that

with regards to "create a favourite on route" - is that easy to tap in on the menu going at say 70mph along the motorway ?

###

Andy - i did as mike said and created "itinerary planning" on my menu screen again, altho i cant see "A-B Advanced Planning" on there so looks like that might not be an option on the 3rd edition

looks like my best bet will be to select navigate to "home" and then choose "via wandsworth" as an option

looks like i've got an adventure to go on tomorrow, will let you know how i fair, how far out of the way i got diverted and how many more miles/hours i spend on the road that i didn't really want/need to Laughing Out Loud Laughing

thanks again all

goodnight

TTOV3...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: