Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do I have a dud One XL????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I have a dud One XL????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrh3113
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Do I have a dud One XL???? Reply with quote

Just acquired said TT. After a few hours of extreme frustration I seem unable to activate the safety camera warnings (which was of the main reasons for purchase....) which are pre-installed.

When I setup TT Home on my mac, the camera files are all visible on the right-hand panel as being on the TT. But when I go to the Safety Camera bit on the main menu and tap the icon, rather than giving me the option to activate it just tells me to go and download them from Plus services, even though they are already on the device!!!. I have backed up, and reset several times, including re-installing the app on my mac. No luck, although files still visible as being on the TT when you connect to TT Home..

So, I thought maybe its a Mac quirk. Tried it all again on my PC. The PC won't even recognise the TT!! The TT just keeps asking if I want to connect to the computer, you tap yes, and it re-boots itself!! Censored

Is this just me being thick or does it sound like a friday afternoon machine? I know I could just download the PGPS cameras but I've already paid for the embedded ones!!!

BTW, no sign of them in POI either.

Any ideas????

Sad
mark574020
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a dud One XL???? Reply with quote

Hi I had the same problem have you upgraded your TomTom to version 7 as it is known problem with this version and there should be a fix in the next week or two. Well this is what TT have told me
mrh3113 wrote:
Just acquired said TT. After a few hours of extreme frustration I seem unable to activate the safety camera warnings (which was of the main reasons for purchase....) which are pre-installed.

When I setup TT Home on my mac, the camera files are all visible on the right-hand panel as being on the TT. But when I go to the Safety Camera bit on the main menu and tap the icon, rather than giving me the option to activate it just tells me to go and download them from Plus services, even though they are already on the device!!!. I have backed up, and reset several times, including re-installing the app on my mac. No luck, although files still visible as being on the TT when you connect to TT Home..

So, I thought maybe its a Mac quirk. Tried it all again on my PC. The PC won't even recognise the TT!! The TT just keeps asking if I want to connect to the computer, you tap yes, and it re-boots itself!! Censored

Is this just me being thick or does it sound like a friday afternoon machine? I know I could just download the PGPS cameras but I've already paid for the embedded ones!!!

BTW, no sign of them in POI either.

Any ideas????

Sad
mrh3113
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Call me old fashioned but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to work first time, out of the box. Any idea how I 'upgrade' my brand new TT to version 7? TT Home says there are no updates available.

I have a feeling it may be heading back to the shop next week to be traded in for a different machine unless someone knows a definative fix for this..

Anyone else had issues with this??
mrh3113
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look, seems like it already has version 7 installed, so not sure where to go from here...... Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it back to the shop and ask THEM to activate the cameras for you, or give you a device which works.

I shall refrain from saying you're making a poor choice by going with TT Cameras. NO I WON'T - You are making a poor choice by going with TT cameras!! They are not as comprehensive or up to date as the pgpsw cameras - how many UK camera categories did you see in the right hand panel of Home? AND you can't configure them, i.e. you can't change the warning sound and you can't change the distance at which the sound warns you.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one decent camera database on the net...

That's the one that you download from here! Very Happy Thumbs Up
mrh3113
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it just gets better. Took unit back to Currys. Helpful chap who actually seemed to know his stuff tried to sort the problem but agreed impossibe. He contacted TT support who said they have been having issues with the v7 and pre-installed cameras and they would send me an email to downgrade me to the previous version (6.593)....

I have downloaded this .cab file and copied and pasted it to the disk icon on my mac. Guess what... still not working. Any ideas??

I am fuming and can scarcely believe that TT would sell me a machine with such a basic flaw. Do they not do any testing on their upgrades???????

Why on earth should I fork out for a machine that I then need to spend several hours arsing around with to try and get to work properly? Can anyone recommend a machine that works when I go and get my refund tomorrow, assuming no-one has a known fix for this..

Am I being unreasonable thinking that this is unacceptable?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know TomTom have a reputation for making a mess of software updates.
Trouble is, they DO make some of the best machines, that's why they are market leader.

If you liked the 720, there is probably no better SatNav, so if they offer you a new one out off the shelf, I for one would take it. Just make sure that you have a "day one" backup, so you can get back to where you started, if you don't like what an update does.
Same applies to Garmin, Mio and the like.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If you liked the 720, there is probably no better SatNav, so if they offer you a new one out off the shelf, I for one would take it.

Me too. I persevered and now have my third one, which so far is performing admirably. I fell for the first one as soon as it came out of the box and broke my heart sending it back faulty. The replacement did the same and when the supplier simply offered me a refund instead of another replacement, I accepted, but I knew I just had to get another as soon as my holiday ended.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: