Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom One V3 Europe 'manage POI"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom One V3 Europe 'manage POI"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom One V3 Europe 'manage POI" Reply with quote

The PDF instruction manual refers to a 'manage POi" Icon under the 'Change Preferences' menu. I can't find such a menu item. Am I missing something. I can add downloaded POIs from this site and they work OK, but i have no option on how to manage them.

Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, I have not tried one of the new V3 units as yet but you should try Change Preferences/ Show ALL menu icons does the Manage POI icon show up when you have all menu options enabled, showing all options will give you 7 pages of preferences rather than the default 3 pages - Mike
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not such a setting-there are in fact 5 menu pages!

Alan
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Manual HERE.

The relevant page is 25 and it starts at the bottom.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the point- I do not have the menu option to "Show All Menu Options" or the manage POI option. Unless I'm missing something really obvious-maybe its something that's been cut out of the Ver 3?

Alan
benhutchings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have same problem, the option to 'Manage POI's' is just not there. I'm wondering if they have removed the option but aren't advertising it as they know how upset users will be. Especially users like me who bought this in order to park POI's on it while touring about.
BHolmes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Adding an SD card to a TomTom One Reply with quote

I have a new TomTom One with all the USA maps internal. I bought a new SD card so that I can add more POI etc and not run out of internal memory.
The TOMTOM will not start just indicating that the SD card is not a TomTom SD card. How do I make it acceptable to my TomTom?
benhutchings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, might be best to ask that under its own thread as its not going to get seen by many if its in here.

Regarding the 'Manage POI' thing, We're talking about the V3 that has no SD socket so I imagine that it's pretty important for us to be able to do it on the unit itself...
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Just wanted to answer BHolmes's question.

The TomTom ONE will boot up from the internal memory, OR the SD card, NOT both. If you have an SD card inserted, it will boot up from the SD card and ignore the internal memory. You have to copy everything from the internal memory, using windows explorer, to the SD card or the TomTom will try to boot up from an empty SD card, and say "the SD card is not a TomTom SD card". Look at Number 1 to see how to copy your memory to a SD card. Obviously, you haven't got TomTom on an SD card, so just copy/paste everything from the TomTom hard drive, onto the PC, then onto your SD card, which needs to be a fast read card.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50045
benhutchings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks then TomTom... Reply with quote

Regarding the manage POI's and also Itinerary planning, heres the support conversation I had with TomTom over the last week:

Me: "Hi, I would like to know where I can find 'Manage POIs' In my Tomtom One V3 (EU). The manual says it is in the preferences but I cannot find it. I have also read that there is a 'Show All Menus' or similar, but I cannot find that either.
And while I'm at it, I understand from product literature that I should be able to plan Itineraries, and save ITN files to the unit, but I cannot get this to work either or find any mention of itineraries in the unit itself."

Them: "You can manage your POI's in your change preferences menu. On the last preference page you will have an option to show more options. To plan itineraries is on your main menu of the device"

Me: "Hi, thanks for the reply, but there is no icon to show more options, and there is no 'itineraries' icon in the main menu either. I think that this software version is trimmed down somehow. I looked at a friend's GO at the weekend and he has the options you describe. On my unit they are just not there at all"

Them: "Sorry for the inconveinence, our version 3 does not have itinary planning or manage your POL's. Your friend most likely has a ONE version two"

So I can't use the unit how I wanted to. I'm going to ask if I can have a refund, and if not, I'll sell it on eBay or something and get something of a similar price that DOES allow POI's to be added on the fly, probably a Garmin Nuvi or what ever it's called.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Browse map options as you can add POI from the options within that section, and you do have an icon to set up the Warn When Near POI within Change references, the POI functionality is present it just differs from the actual manual which unhelpfully depicts a traditional menu set up.
You can use Itinerary Planing on the unit but to enable it involves running a custom menu, doing this you loose the Map Share and Help Me icons, I think getting the Itinerary planning option back on the as supplied menu will require a software upgrade IF TomTom decide to do this, the Itinerary option does work once you expose the hidden menu though, I have some screen shots on the PC at home and will post them up explaining this in further detail later this evening - Mike
benhutchings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mike, look forward to seeing the screenies.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarre... Any ideas as to WHY TomTom are messing about with their own "award winning" product?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I was wrong with the Browse map option, I did however have full POI capability on the device and it was probably that I was thinking of earlier, any POI file management is limited to the in built TomTom supplied POI, you are barred from any changes to Custom POI files.

I have a fix for this and the missing Itinerary options which is now amended to the bottom of This Thread

A very poor move IMHO - the menu should be re-introduced with full functionality if this device is going anywhere, the upshot is you can have full capability of the version 7 software (Map Share and Help Me!) OR have access to the true capability of the software (Custom POI management and Itinerary support), at the moment it is not possible to have all options on the device at one time - Mike
tonytol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
.... I did however have full POI capability on the device
......any POI file management is limited to the in built TomTom supplied POI, you are barred from any changes to Custom POI files.

still a bit confused about this but I'm new to this. I know my way around gps units, but not satnav.

If I get the 3rd edition ONE EU, can I add my own poi's (converted from ones I have on google earth) via a PC - I'm guessing using POIconveter?. I'm not really worried about changing/adding them on the device. If I can add/remove pois and maps via a pc, then in-car find my way to pois or know I'm near them, then the 3rd edition (EU/1gb) will do just fine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: