Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does any system let you dictate which route?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does any system let you dictate which route?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeroadster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Does any system let you dictate which route? Reply with quote

I've got a Garmin Nuvi and my wife has Tom Tom mobile on her Nokia N70 and one of the frustrating aspects I've found is that there's no simple way to take a route and use a shortcut or alternative route for part of it.

For example, I can travel from Leeds to London using either the M1 or A1. Since I know there's road works pretty much all the way down the M1 at the mo, I prefer to take the A1.

However, for the uninitiated, they may not know that taking the A1 is quicker so when you programme your London destination, there's no option to specify your route via the A1.

As a result, the Garmin and Tom Tom frustratingly keep trying to get me back onto the M1.

Does any system out there allow you to select the road you want to travel down?

The only way to achieve this presently seems to be to programme the route via another destination, which isn't necessarily the best or most accurate way of tackling the problem.

Thanks in advance
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way at the moment for device and applications you have is to put a way pount in or use an itinery one option mabe to use the avoid part of route in tomtom or try planning an alternative route

copiot 6 will allow you to place more than one way point on your route or plan it on your pc.

iGO will allow you to place more than one waypoint on aswell

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Aeroadster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that no one builds the functionality to let advanced users input which junction numbers they should join and leave motorways.

Also, if you choose to "Avoid Motorways" on many of these systems, you also end up avoiding anything that isn't B road.

I found this out when I tried to get from M1 junction 13 (after 3hours in a tailback) to cut through to Stevenage at 10pm one night.

I stupidly inputted the "avoid motorways" option and it took two hours to get home through the country roads.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the TomTom the route will avoid the M1 for it's full length, if you use Find Alternative | Avoid part of route, and selecting the 166 miles of M1.

If you just use Find Alternative | Calculate Alternative, it will do the identical Route, in most cases.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I you think carefully about what you are asking for, it's a lot more complex than it seems. You are asking the device to incorporate your local knowledge and personal preferences in it's routing algorythm. Although some adjustment is posisble, and a lot more could be done, there is, and never will be, a correct answer to any thing but the most trival route calculation

The device is designed to keep most people happy most of the time. Keeping one person happy all the time is possible but would be prohibitively expensive for most of us.

So what to do given the current state of technoloy and your local knowledge. Why not just drive the way you know is best, then use the Navigator when you don't know. Don't just follow it's instructions blindly, have a look at the rout it has calulated first, and if you don't like it, you can force it to change by
Adjust settings (limited usefulness)
Use Via (way points)
Use detour features
Use avoid road / area features

If all else fails, a paper map is an essential fallback.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeroadster wrote:
It's a shame that no one builds the functionality to let advanced users input which junction numbers they should join and leave motorways.

Hi,

There is a POI set of all Motorway junctions on this website. You can load these into TomTom and pull them into an Itinerary for the journey.

Not the sort of thing you can do on the road though (unless it's a really bad jam) as you need to select from several POIs for each junction (depending on your direction and whether entering or exiting).

However, I doubt if you could force any navigator to (permanently) leave the motorway at a named junction; it will probably just take you once around the nearest roundabout and back on again!

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: