Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 660 TMC License
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 660 TMC License

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilGarmin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Garmin 660 TMC License Reply with quote

Noticed in the subscriptions that the traffic master subscription states expired 1/10/2006.

The GTM21 came with a Lifetime subscription and still (when it can) provides TMC.

This happened sometime after updating to v3.8 firmware.

Webupdated the GTM firmware to 4.5 today, but still says expired.

I feel that Garmin have sent an American version of the firmware out and that may have changed the subscription status.

Anybody else had this issue? Rolling Eyes
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of us have suffered from the lost subscription problem which was caused (in my opinion) by one of the firmwares between 3.90 and 4.10 The only solution I'm aware of is to ring Garmin - they will try another code (or two) which should fix the problem and restore the subscription. A handful of us have had to return our units to Garmin for them to apply something internally to them.
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you find the Subscription information? I have not been able to locate it anywhere. I thought that the subscription was automatically set up the first time that the unit was used.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

System / Traffic / Subscriptions

It is common for this screen to issue a warning that the subscription is not yet active, even though traffic actually works.
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
A number of us have suffered from the lost subscription problem which was caused (in my opinion) by one of the firmwares between 3.90 and 4.10 The only solution I'm aware of is to ring Garmin - they will try another code (or two) which should fix the problem and restore the subscription. A handful of us have had to return our units to Garmin for them to apply something internally to them.

My Nuvi 610 originally came with a GTM21 that showed a lifetime ViaMichelin France TMC subscription and a 3 month trial US subscription. Turned out that this was an incorrect GTM21 for the UK, so an RMA to Garmin subsequently returned it with a blister-packed UK GTM21 with a lifetime TrafficMaster subscription.

Since this new GTM21 was attached, no subscriptions show up although I get TrafficMaster TMC data with no problems (other than the usual signal strength/coverage issues). I am now on firmware 4.10 in the Nuvi and GTM firmware version 4.50, but still no subscription.

So, who do I need to speak to in Garmin to get this sorted out? I have asked their customer service people but they tell me it's a software issue rather than a subscription issue. How do I get the subscription activated?

I'd like to ensure it's properly subscribed firstly because this should be working properly anyway and also in case I decide to sell it in the future, a buyer would want the subscription to show up or they might decide it doesn't have one.

Brian
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I suspect Garmin will fix the subscription page in time (to reduce their support calls), with a working TMC service I would not worry about the subscription page. I've had the "your subscription is not yet activated" on one unit for some time now, but cannot get concerned about it as traffic works.

I agree with the selling it issue, but beyond making Garmin aware of it (which you already have) I don't believe there is anyway to escalate Garmin releasing a fix any quicker.
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Although I suspect Garmin will fix the subscription page in time (to reduce their support calls), with a working TMC service I would not worry about the subscription page. I've had the "your subscription is not yet activated" on one unit for some time now, but cannot get concerned about it as traffic works.

I agree with the selling it issue, but beyond making Garmin aware of it (which you already have) I don't believe there is anyway to escalate Garmin releasing a fix any quicker.

OK, and in fact before I read your original comment that was what I has planned to do.

I don't know how the subscription information is used, but I think it likely that it's held in the GTM21 (the subscription codes apply to the GTM's ID and not the main GPS unit ID) so it's probably just the firmware not being able to read it. Bearing in mind that one Nuvi 610 update made the GTM21 completely invisible I suppose I shouldn't be surprised Laughing

Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: