Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some advice for a newbie please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some advice for a newbie please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soreilly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Some advice for a newbie please Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Been reading this forum for a couple of hours now going over all the options. Basically I'm going away with the family (seven people in total split over two cars). None of us have a GPS device because we have never really needed it before. However we thought it might be useful for this trip. We are reluctant to paid £100 each for a GPS device so we've been looking at the other options.

Now I have a Sony Ericsson K800i mobile. I was thinking I could purchase a BT308 GPS receiver unit from eBay and use the Nav4All software. Has anyone done this and can anyone forsee any problems.

Now my father has an old HP iPaq rz1710 from work. I was thinking I could pick up a second hand cradle and GPS receiver, again from eBay, and put something like TomTom on the iPaq. Is there any particular GPS software which works better with the receiver?

Thanks,

Stuart.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be aware that the Nav4All software is reliant upon your phones GPRS connection to download the map details it requires all the time. Depending upon your phone contract this could get very costly on a long trip, if you are travelling overseas then the cost will be even worse.

You would be much better served using a navigation package on the 1710 but even that device will be at its limit due to the slow processor, TomTom version 6 is best used on devices over 300MHz - your dads iPAQ clocks at 203MHz so its a bit slow. See if you can get hold of a copy of "TomTom Navigator 5", or consider "Route 66 navigate 7" another very capable application.
Make sure you keep the device powered up in the car when running GPS based mapping applications as they can flatten the battery very quickly if left unplugged - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience whenever you try to achieve a decent solution on the cheap it invariably fails. Nav4All is very poor.

There are some offers on decent PND GPS devices such as the TomTom ONE, Asda have a good Medion unit on offer for £99 etc that would be much better solutions, is there any reason why you can't make do with one and go in convoy?
soreilly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I have Web'n'Walk from T-Mobile so GPRS costs aren't an issue thankfully.

Darren,

Re the convoy question. We may end up going to two seperate locations and meeting up later on in the day. I'm just trying to plan for all eventualities.

Stuart,
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soreilly wrote:
Mike,

I have Web'n'Walk from T-Mobile so GPRS costs aren't an issue thankfully.

Darren,

Re the convoy question. We may end up going to two seperate locations and meeting up later on in the day. I'm just trying to plan for all eventualities.

Stuart,

Fair enough, have a look at Wayfinder as well, a much better featured GPS Solution that downloads mapping OTA.

FWIW I have tried Nav4All and it is dire in the extreme! You could also consider a couple of second hand GO's?
soreilly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I'll have a look.

Stuart.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: