Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What gps for towing a caravan
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What gps for towing a caravan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: What gps for towing a caravan Reply with quote

I am looking for a system that you can say if you are towing a caravan, are there any out there? If not i have read on the forum that the tom tom you can change the speed settings to allow for this. Can you do this with the tom tom 700, I also need full european mapping on whichever system I buy. Thanks
joshua197
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't thisnk TomTom can do this. A friend of mine recently took a TomTom 700 back for a full refund when the salesman claimed it could do this.

Speed is not so important as suitability of roads. I gave my friend a test. Plot a route where the shortest/fastest route is via a road where caravans are not allowed (Sutton Bank in North Yorkshire) TomTom picked Sutton Bank.

Very important also for Europe where a number of Alpine roads are not suitable for caravans or trailers
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by towing a caravan?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are going to use tt go then used the limited speed option as it will pick any nav system will pick sutton bank unless you route via a particular road theres a loads of signs round common bank youd just follow the diversion

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a caravan like a truck for hauling?
dairic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A caravan is ( I think you might call it a trailer or something, it's an RV without an engine or cab that you tow with your vehicle).
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairic wrote:
A caravan is ( I think you might call it a trailer or something, it's an RV without an engine or cab that you tow with your vehicle).

You're right, a caravan is our equivalent of a trailer. In the same way that a 'pikey' is our equivalent of 'trailer trash' and someone towing a caravan is our equivalent of a 'road hog' Laughing

Only joking, I spent many a happy (if cold) holiday in my parents caravan when I was a wee lad. I'm sure these days they've got heating and everything!
SharpEye
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Only joking, I spent many a happy (if cold) holiday in my parents caravan when I was a wee lad. I'm sure these days they've got heating and everything!

Azay mate- want your drive tarmac-ing? :D

Not only do they have heating (blown air or rads) but they also have fridge freezers, microwaves, fixed double beds, fridge freezers, cookers, pumped showers (inside and outside)- hot and cold water (handy for the shower Laughing ) radios, tellys, even the kitchen sink!

SharpEye
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, thanks. I was sorta confused as to what a caravan actually was.
Tony_Park
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I notice this has gotten slighly off track - I have a friend that is looking at possibly buying a sat-nav, and I know she does a lot of towing of a caravan (see previous definition ;-) ), and has asked for recommendations.

I too have found that TT is a pain in the rear when towing - my wife and I were in the Lake District last summer, and TT6 decided to send us over some rather hair-raising roads, and thats without a caravan on - even choosing the limited speed option, it decided that route was best, fortunately my wife doesn't trust it and spotted the problem before we got anywhere near the passes.

Anyhow, I've heard that Navigon has a towing facility, anyone used this, or any other sat nav software that may help with towing?

I asked TT about a towing option, they currently have no plans to release this functionality :-(

Thanks
Tony
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a caravanner! [Just planning trip tp Sorrento/Rome/Venice/Garda]

My main suggestions for sat-nav for caravan towing would be:-

The ability to view the same software on both the PC and the unit.
    The ability to place multiple vias within a route[at least 180 miles/3hours between stops]
    The ability to plan [on the PC] all the routes between the caravan sites for my 30 day trip and transfer them to the unit.
    Check the routes for problems on both the PC and Unit.
    Ability to sit in the caravan and plan the daily visits on arrival on site with Laptop.
    Ability to record and keep tracks for future use
    Ability to use the unit on city visits ie Which carpark did I leave the car in-walk between the Vatican and other places of interest.
    Ability to set the routing options for 'truck' rather than car - caravan towing is rarely an option so I use truck.

My advice is based on 28,000 miles of actual towing in 10 years, both in UK and Europe.
Looking at the above points I think the ability to plan many routes and transfer them to the unit is the most important to my caravanning. I rarely have to do 180deg turns now!!!!!!!

Any more help just ask :D
Pete2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am i correct in thinking that copilot offers the option to select a route suitable for a hgv? If so then this would probably be the best software to go for as TT will just take you its normal route which can sometimes be down roads / tracks unsuitable for a caravan (I know this from experience).
Now if I'm going to a site I haven't been to before I check out approach routes before leaving either on the booking confirmation, online or if I can't find info antwhere else I'll ring the site and ask them.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the ideal satnav would be the one that keeps caravans off the main roads and away from those wanting to get to a destination a lot quicker rather than being stuck in a snaking trail of cars with a slow moving white box at the front :D
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was nasty!

What about the 'cars' in the middle lane of a Motorway doing 50mph and refusing to change lane, while I am travelling at the legal 60mph with the caravan?
How do you suggest I continue?

Un-hitch the caravan, put it on the roof rack and then overtake on the right!! Very Happy

Last edited by missing_user on Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
I would suggest the ideal satnav would be the one that keeps caravans off the main roads and away from those wanting to get to a destination a lot quicker rather than being stuck in a snaking trail of cars with a slow moving white box at the front :D

Hi rds you would be hard pushed to keep up with me when I am towing my van,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: