Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Yee - Hah. Grandad beats the 720 SD card musical mystery.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Yee - Hah. Grandad beats the 720 SD card musical mystery.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Yee - Hah. Grandad beats the 720 SD card musical mystery. Reply with quote

So I've seen all these bright young softy pants southerners having trouble getting music to play off SD cards. Well, I don't go for it - iPod and stuff leaves me utterly indifferent.

However, Vera likes music and she always forgets to take CDs into the van when we trip off. AND it would be nice to have an excuse to take the 720 to Corfu for September. So I decided to do it.

Got up the 720 manual to RTFM (yeah, yeah, I know, but I like to show willing!). Anyway, it's absolute rubbish. All it says is you can put music on the 720 by using TT Home - see page 73. On page 73, it says "using TT Home you can manage your music". And that's all! Hallo? What??

So I fired up Home (with the usual difficulty) and had a go at doing music. It only wanted to look at Docs\My Docs\Music, where I didn't have any!! Then it locked up and wouldn't do anything.

I remembered once burning a CD onto Vera's iPod thing, so I fired up Nero, but that didn't do it for me. So I put a CD into E: and waited. Up came Win Media Player and played it, but I stopped it and saw the options to "Rip" and "Burn".

Eventually, I sussed to change the Windows Media Player settings to Rip the CD directly to the SD card in MP3 format (2GB Transcend 150x which always worked perfectly in my 710).

And that did it. And I've now got half a dozen albums, about 60 songs on the SD card and they ALL play!! Laughing (Well, I haven't played them all, but some do and the rest look like they WILL).

I mean, it's taken me nearly five hours of struggling, so it's not been quite "That did it".

But for anybody who hasn't got grandchildren handy (mine are in Devon right now), this is the short (Hah! Now that I'm in Preview, I see it 's "long") instructions.

Start Windows Media Player and go to the Library button at the top, where you click the little Down arrow, Click "More Options" then click "Rip Music". Then on Rip music to this location, click "Change" then move through My computer to select the "drive" for the SD card. Edit here - select Drive and sub directory MP3 = e.g F:\MP3. Returning to the Rip Music main window, under Rip Settings, click the drop down arrow and select MP3. And you're finished with the settings.

Now, with your SD card in the reader, shove a CD in the drive and get Windows Media Player going. Select the Rip button and click Start Rip. And it'll do it. Right click and Eject the SD card when you've finished.

DO NOT then make the mistake of shoving the SD card into the 720 and switching on - it doesn't like it (told me I couldn't have the voice I'd selected and gave me general hassle). Now you know why that carry case advertised on TT website says it has space for SD cards (which it apparently DOESN'T have!!) - so you can keep your music SD card in there until time to stick it into the 720. Start up the 720 first, and when it's got going, THEN insert the SD card. Then play your lovely music.

NOW WILL ONE OF YOU TELL ME HOW TO STOP IT? I have a musical notes symbol on screen which will NOT go away - all it does is allow me to pause the playing, resume playing, select a new artist, or album, or song. But it won't let me STOP the thing. Looks like I shall for ever have the musical notes symbol on the screen.

Ahah. Not one to be beaten by a stupid bit of plastic and metal - I went to Change Preferences, Quick Menu Preferences, where I found the Jukebox ticked, Unticked it and the *** musical notes symbol has gone. Clap Bouncing

All that's left to do is change my departing splash screen to remind me to remove the SD card or it'll give me grief when I switch on again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Last edited by DennisN on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Dennis!! Me Me Me Clap Not Worthy

Regards,

Bo Peep.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND I've got Shostakovich's Waltz No 2 from the Jazz Suite on there too. Happy as a pig in muck!

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done DennisN, that was the easy bit, now you need to find music both you and Vera like. Cool

It might be better to keep peace in the van if you treat her to a MP3 player she can plug in her ear, i know it works, that's how i kept peace in my car, with my wife. Wink
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
algypan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Dennis at least you have shown that not all of us oldies are brain dead. And a lot of patience as well. Talking about brain dead tell me how do you get the smilies to work cos i havnt got a clue
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

algypan wrote:
Well done Dennis at least you have shown that not all of us oldies are brain dead. And a lot of patience as well. Talking about brain dead tell me how do you get the smilies to work cos i havnt got a clue
That's easy (apparently). When you type a post, there are smilies at the left of the box you're typing in. Just click one and it goes at the end of what you are typing. Can you see emoticons on the left when you type? If you can't, go to Profile (top middle - ish of any page) and alter it - check Always enable smilies - Yes (or something - can't remember - just looked, but short term memory at my age Rolling Eyes ).

The really clever trick is to go back in Preview and think you'd like to pop a smiley just there and you have to get one which you move from the end of you post into the position you want it.

algypan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis I just noticed your moderator status congrats
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
It might be better to keep peace in the van if you treat her to a MP3 player she can plug in her ear, i know it works, that's how i kept peace in my car, with my wife. Wink
She's got one. But she's a diabetic, with little feeling in her fingertips, so it's difficult for her to operate it. The screen display is tiny too. It's the size of a memory stick. It was a good idea that turned out to be pretty useless!

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Talking about brain dead tell me how do you get the smilies to work cos i havnt got a clue

And if you're really cleaver you can import them from online smily repositories (god I hope I spelled that right) using the (Img) option.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
And if you're really cleaver you can import them from online smily repositories (god I hope I spelled that right) using the (Img) option.
BUT beware that a Mod doesn't come along and give it the chop! Apparently some of them (not that mostdom one) are a bit of a nuisance, coming from slow servers which slow this site down whilst they load. I don't know about it myself - 'spect it's to do with Audis or black VW Golfs.

algypan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dennis do you remember that Footy pools guy from K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M
Horace Batchelor wasnt it now theres one smart cooky
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I put it that way.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to everybody who has paid attention to my triumphant bleatings

I made a small, but crucial error in my write up which I have now edited to correct it for any future readers.

The settings for Library ... More Options ... Rip Music ... Rip Music to this location ... Change should read for you to change the destination to the drive and sub-directory MP3 (and you may need to create that subdirectory). The destination for Ripping, therefore is F:\MP3 (if your card is in FSmile.

I really do most seriously apologise for this - I dread to think of somebody having spent as long as I did, following my instructions and not getting there.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:

My key remote on a single press only unlocks the drivers door, gives me time to get in and go without her. Laughing Laughing
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
GJF wrote:

My key remote on a single press only unlocks the drivers door, gives me time to get in and go without her. Laughing Laughing
To my extreme good fortune, I have Vera. I have no need of those strategies - I love her and she's very kind and tolerant towards me - I'm a sort of pig in muck I suppose. Feel free to envy me and I'll send up a little prayer for sympathy for you. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: