Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth connection Reply with quote

First, I have tried the Search button, but without finding anything.

I just tried making a bluetooth connection from my GO 700 to my lovely new MacBook Pro 17 which has bluetooth capability. I have already linked the MacBook to my phone. The Macbook found the GO700, but the subsequent process of linking didn't work. It could be quite nice if I could link them, might be very impressive doing downloads of the cameras and copying them to the GO700 via bluetooth.

Anybody know if and how it can be done, or am I going to have to find another USB cable (and how to copy files across through it - the bluetooth function has a file transfer thingy which might have been a bit clever).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Bluetooth (correction - I know nothing about it!) but it sounds a bit like something I tried to do with a SCSI hard drive and an audio editing machine.

I was fed up using a removable drive for this machine (and SCSI drives are getting harder to find). I also had a SCSI port on my PC (which would work with the same drive). So I thought "Is there a way of 'cutting out the middleman', and connecting straight from the machine to the PC, and using that for storage?"
I couldn't, because I was told that the sound editor and the PC were both "senders" and the drive was a "receiver", and you couldn't connect two "senders" together.

So, imagine you have Bluetooth "senders" and a "receivers" (I know the data goes both ways, but bear with me)

The TomTom "sends" to the phone.

The Mac "sends" to the phone.

What you are trying to do is connect a "sender" to a "sender" which doesn't work.

There are probably more accurate terms than those, but unless I'm totally wrong, might that be the problem.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Well, I've just successfully transfered files to and from my phone - got a ringtone from it and sent a picture to it. Knowing just as much as you about bluetooth, wouldn't that seem very much like both of them being senders and receivers?

chrisjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fancy you are trying to do something that the TomTom was never designed to do.

Bluetooth is a communications protocol between devices. As such the concept of one device being a "sender" and one "receiver" is not strictly accurate. Data by and large can flow both ways if the devices permit.

And there is the problem. It all depends on what bits of the device are opened up to the bluetooth connection. On the TomTom bluetooth is used pretty much exclusively for connection to a mobile phone. It is designed to add hands free calling and dial up networking to access the various Plus services, eg Traffic information.

It is not designed to allow file transfer between TomTom and PC/MAC. Which may well explain why although your Macbook can see the TomTom the TomTom completely ignores the connection.

My Go510 can be found by my Dell Laptop and PDA but the TomTom ignores both. If I try to search for new Bluetooth devices from the TomTom then it also ignores either device but finds any and all mobile phones within range. So therefore one has to conclude that the TomTom is only configured to attach to mobile phones.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm beginning to believe it's not on. But for what it's worth, my GO700 can see and identifies my laptop (not just a device, but "DennisN's Laptop") - I see you and you see me, but that's as far as I can get.

Edited once to add -

It's worth noting that the GO can get my phone numbers - file transfer?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: