Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Considering TomTom Nav 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering TomTom Nav 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve43
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Considering TomTom Nav 6 Reply with quote

Hi guys, well I'm new here so please be gentle Wink
I am considering getting TomTom 6 for my MDA Vario. I have a couple of questions regarding purchasing and activation.

If I need to change phone at some time (ie it goes bust, or I upgrade) will I still be able to use the software on another phone?

If I purchase a phone second-hand with tomtom installed on the SD card already, can I just put the SD card in another phone or will it require a new install? I am assuming I will need the product key?

Regards
Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key here is activation. All TomTom products (actually the maps) require activation. When you first install on a device using the code you cannot install again on another device for 7 days, then a third after 180 days. So you could swap to a new device so long as these time frames have passed. You cannot install more than three times (on different devices, you can re-install on the same device as many times as you desire).

Buying second hand is more difficult as you have no idea how many times the previous user has installed the software. If all three activations have been sued then you're stuck.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Thumbs Up

You are able to move your own copy of TomTom to another device. They allow a certain number of moves, depending on time between moves. You will effectively get a new product code and they will de-register your old system.

You cannot transfer TT between people - TT specifically don't allow this. In most cases you will not get the original kit with product codes etc and it's odds on that the seller has already transfered the licence to their new device. My advice would be to steer well clear of such deals. You will find it very difficult to get support for such products.
steve43
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys! :D

I am impressed with the speed of your replies, this is a good place to be.

I have thought about getting the Copilot software also, is there any benefit over tomtom?

Just send me to another thread if this is already covered. It is quite confusing when you are new to it Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: