Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to check if a loaded map works
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to check if a loaded map works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: How to check if a loaded map works Reply with quote

I have recently loaded a section of a Canada map using Mapsource. It appears to be loaded and shows as a map choice in the satnavs settings. The map is unlocked.

Is there any way of checking the map will be ok before I go to Canada. I assume it will not be available even to browse until the GPS co-ordinates are somewhere within the maps borders.

Any advice folks.

Garmin Nuvi 300
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to check if a loaded map works Reply with quote

benjy wrote:
I have recently loaded a section of a Canada map using Mapsource. It appears to be loaded and shows as a map choice in the satnavs settings. The map is unlocked.

Is there any way of checking the map will be ok before I go to Canada. I assume it will not be available even to browse until the GPS co-ordinates are somewhere within the maps borders.

You should be able to test it using simulation mode with the GPS aeriel down.
benjy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Tynecomp. Could you be a bit more specific.

Selecting only the ontario map in map settings still shows my location at home, even when browsing map. If for instance I set a destination city of Toronto, it cannot calculate the route as it seems to be trying to calculate from my home, here in UK, obviously a very difficult thing to do. Eventually it comes up with a calculating error.

Is simulation mode only for simulating a planned route?

Question
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try this - turn off the Canadian map, select Where To? Browse Map, and then zoom out and go and look at the section of Canada you have loaded - repeat this with the map section enabled, and you should see much more detail when you zoom in...

The other option is with it loaded select Where To? and then enter an address in Canada - again this will confirm the detail is there for your trip, even if you can't get the unit to calculate a route between your home and Canada.
benjy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much swing.

Turned Canada map ON and UK and Ireland OFF in settings.
Where to, Cities, Spell, Meaford. This then appears as a suggestion.
Select, then show map and there it was.

Much obliged at least I know the map is installed and will be ready to roll when I get there.

My next problem is it doesn't seem to recognize any addresses, postcodes or have any POIs loaded. Will this function only work when i get there or is there somewhere i can upload Canada POIs at least?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience of adding maps (in this way) - which "Canada" map did you install via MapSource?
benjy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps are from Garmin Mapsource Canada Topo 2.
When using mapsource you specify the map areas you wish to upload. These are a series of IMG files that in turn are saved as a single IMG ready for upload into the Garmin main memory. I tried saving it to the SD card but the unit didn't seem to work with the gmapsupp.img stored on the SD card.

Antway when I browse the map as you suggested you can see all the street names when zoomed in.
When you try to put in an address it asks which state/province. Ontario is typed in and subsequently not found. Maybe this function only works if you have the whole of Canada loaded not just a defined area.

When trying to access from the Nuvi, I cannot 'access' any of my MP3 files or Maps in the Garmin folder on the SD card, although they are all visible in explorer. I suspect a problem with the Nuvi and card combination, but that could be a red herring.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if Topo maps include routing and address information in them in the first place...
benjy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help and advice anyway.

Will just have to see when i get there.

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: