Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satisfied with Route 66?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satisfied with Route 66?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inshadow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Satisfied with Route 66? Reply with quote

I have been searching for a good and non-expensive GPS solution for my HTC P4350(Herald) PocketPC Phone.

I found that the Route 66 Navigate 7 kit with bluetooth GPS was pretty cheap (around 900 danish kr which is about 150$).

I'm a bit concerned if I will be satisfied though. My main headache is if it will plan the routes well, and if rerouting works quick enough.
Someone wrote this about Route 66 Navigate 7: "Selected a route for a journey today completely different to every other Satnav system, opting to use an urban B road instead of major A roads.".

What is your experience with these two issues?
Does it almost always calculate a resonable route?
Does the rerouting kick in too slowly?

Thanks in advance!

/Stig
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the Route 66 software very good, the navigate to a specific point takes a bit of getting used to, my early copy of this software didn't have full 7 digit postcode, so I tended to navigate by POI, the newer releases have full full UK postcode (although I suspect this isn't an issue for yourself - location etc).
Re-Routing - I have had one or two problems with as detailed in the review I wrote last year, but overall the package works well, see Here for the write up - Mike
inshadow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a quick answer Mike! :-)

mikealder wrote:
I have found the Route 66 software very good, the navigate to a specific point takes a bit of getting used to, my early copy of this software didn't have full 7 digit postcode, so I tended to navigate by POI, the newer releases have full full UK postcode (although I suspect this isn't an issue for yourself - location etc).

I guess this is not a big problem as we only have 4 digit postcodes in Denmark anyway.

mikealder wrote:

Re-Routing - I have had one or two problems with as detailed in the review I wrote last year, but overall the package works well, see Here for the write up - Mike

I have read your review - but I was wondering if this is a persistant "bug"?
Does it behave like this in every situation when re-routing is needed or is this behavior very seldom?
What is the normal behavior?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest it was a one off event, I have re-run that exact same route a number of times since and the software has not locked to the M25, why it did it when compiling notes for a review is anyone’s guess.
It could have been the hardware running out of memory or any number of issues, I just found it quite amusing to be honest when it performed in this way - but it since this occasion it has worked very well, the TMC data over GPRS (watch you connection charges) works very well - Mike
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
To be honest it was a one off event, I have re-run that exact same route a number of times since and the software has not locked to the M25, why it did it when compiling notes for a review is anyone’s guess.
It could have been the hardware running out of memory or any number of issues, I just found it quite amusing to be honest when it performed in this way - but it since this occasion it has worked very well, the TMC data over GPRS (watch you connection charges) works very well - Mike

I bought R66 around 6 weeks ago (came from copilot) for my WM5 device.

The CD's supplied did not contain the latest version - however it can be downloaded from their website (2834 is the latest)

This version solves alot of the issues raised during the review.

I particularly like the updated UK maps (Aug 06), free traffic update information (with dynamic rerouting) and the desktop application that automatically updates all speed/safety cameras which is also free.

For me the cost was only £40 - unbelievably good value!!

Not sure what the reroute issue was but I have not had any issues.

In addition one route i do regularly is London to Telford. In copilot I had to set many waypoints to get the route I wanted. In R66 the route I want is always the one R66 comes up with - for me another bonus!!

Matt
inshadow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Okay then. Would be nice if you could update your review with some information on how re-routing usually works then.
This re-routing issue was my main concern buying or not.
Now I'm almost certain that I will buy this software. And I also found a post in a german forum where someone has it running on a HTC P4350 which is the same PDA I'm using.
inshadow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt and Mike
You have been very helpful :-)

I'll let you know about my experiences when I have bought a copy for my self.
MikC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it about 3 months ago and in UK always gives great direct routes but if I decide to change routes is very quick at recalculating. Mines is running on an Orange SPV M600.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: