Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 pre-set POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 pre-set POI's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: i3 pre-set POI's Reply with quote

Any way to edit or delete these. What I find amusing - if I do a search for fast food places (from the Garmin pre set ones), it lists my closest as being a host of McDonalds in France!
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that under fast foods & sure enough it came up with a mcdonalds in france as the closest so i thought i would try french food & lo & behold it found one only 15 mile away!
Superswallow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: McDonalds Pe set POIs Reply with quote

I have the same problem with pre set McDonalds. I live in N Manchester and when I search McDonalds the nearest is 255 miles away in France. In fact all McDs seem to be in France. Has anyone a solution?

Thanks
kevinbev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go onto MaFt`s site at http://www.MaFt.co.uk/garmin/download.htm and download the GarminPOI`s zip. Then install the files onto the i3 you will find all the local McD`s listed on this file.
kevinbev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have mentioned that all the files included in the download will be found under the custom points on the i3.
Superswallow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinbev wrote:
If you go onto MaFt`s site at http://www.MaFt.co.uk/garmin/download.htm and download the GarminPOI`s zip. Then install the files onto the i3 you will find all the local McD`s listed on this file.

Kevinbev.

Thanks, I had done this and have all UK Mcd, but why does the Garmin version only have France? We should pay for the correct region info.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found the same problem with burgerking..my nearest is in ireland and i live in swindon!....mind you i was using the i3 in satellite gps off ..did anybody actualy do this search in satellite aquired mode?
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - its the case when locked on to the sats.

I appreciate that you can download Custom points for Macdonalds etc, but that wasnt really my point.

I just thought it a shame that the Garmin pre installed POI's were, in some cases next to useless (ie in a different country). Strange that not all of them are that bad though?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon that the uk i3 mcd's poi's got mixed up with the french i3 mcd's poi's...probely when the garmin crew were having their lunch down mcdonalds.....
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also getting the same with Petrol Stations. I only use BP Ultimate so i need to know where they are when travelling in strange lands.

Preparing to go to the In Laws (300 miles + journey) next month i thought I'd check to see where the local BP is. The built in i3 POI shows a local BP petrol station that isn't a BP as far is i know - never has been for the last 5 years or so. The POI from POI Handler shows the same Petrol Station but in a different location - in fact it's show two streets away from where it should be. It also marks it as a BP.

The built in POI shows the second nearest BP as on a major road nearby but POI Handler shows it 500 meters down another road!! I have no way of checking either until i get there.

Finally the i3 has the closest McDonald's to my In-Laws as 70 miles away. The POI Handler one says 1.2 Miles.

This is ridiculous. I know most of the data is submitted by people but the inaccuracy is terrible!

It's making one of my secondary reasons for buying a Sat Nav a nightmare. I don't really want to be guided to a location only to find it's either a) not there or b) not what i says it is, esp if i am running low on Petrol.

Some sort of quality control is needed. I had to update 5 petrol stations in my local area on the POI Handler files because they were way out. It's not difficult to get an accurate Long / Lat so why so many problems?

Or is it just me?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Or is it just me?
No, I have found all sorts of problems with POI Handler - I found one set of POIs (Armed Forces sites) which had something completely unrelated in its very small POI collection.

To be honest, I've yet to see an accurate, yet user updateable set of POIs that I trust, and I certainly don't rely upon SatNav when needing something as important as fuel!

I thought CheckPOInt (for TomTom) was a good two way solution, but found all sorts of problems with the quality of its data too that for the moment I rely upon my own POI files than those submitted to websites.

I wish I knew the answer.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll forget the POIs apart from the Speed Cameras.

The problem is that the In-Laws have no Internet so I'd have to look everything up on line here before i go, which defeats the one of the points of the POI - i.e. to find a petrol station, McDs, KFC, etc when you need / want one and don't know where one is where you are. The In-Laws don't drive so Petrol Station knowledge is zero.

I don't want to be taken off route to a phantom petrol station when it's actually around the next corner of the road i was on.

I hate it when technology becomes a disappointment like this.

Still, it's a great Sat Nav though!!!!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't want to be taken off route to a phantom petrol station when it's actually around the next corner of the road i was on.

Whilst this hasn't actually happened to me, the BP Petrol Station database on POI Handler was so inaccurate that if i didn't know the area and was looking for Petrol then i would have been driving around the back streets near one petrol station and in the middle of a housing estate 1/4 of a mile away for another. It's not like they (the POI) were even that close that you could maybe see the Petrol Station when you arrived at the destination.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering the number of changes and/or additions to poi's i get sent to me each month i'm not surprised that by the time a sat nav unit reaches a user that it's poi's are out of date! petrol stations in particular regularly change hands but are in the same place.
to be honest i hardly use the built in poi's as most that i need are available anyway and can be edited/fixed/removed.

MaFt
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
to be honest i hardly use the built in poi's
Is there a way to remove the built in POIs? On TomTom, they are all stored in 1 file, which can be deleted (and everything else still work) - of course, with TomTom it also frees up more memory to allow more custom POIs...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: