Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - time for a new sat nav which is best for updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

time for a new sat nav which is best for updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadsidefixer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: time for a new sat nav which is best for updates Reply with quote

hi
I think its time for a new sat nav i have been a loyal mio user i have a c210 and a 268+ the 268+ is just as a back up unit and only used once and find the only problem is only 6 digit postcode due to the age of the unit

i use the c210 everyday and travel all over the uk ,i find the updates from mio are a bit poor to be honest and am now looking to change make maybe

i need a sat nav that has speed camera on it and with free updates on maps and speed camera would be great
i have never been a fan of tom tom and from there website it seems you have to pay each month for some things which i dont want to do
but tom tom seems to be the most popular sat nav so that says something i guess!

what make /model would you say would be best for what i need?

thanks for your help Very Happy
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but tom tom seems to be the most popular sat nav so that says something i guess!
And Microsoft the most poular operating system, but does it make it the best? Just a thought.
roadsidefixer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud yeah you do have a point there...sorry it took so long to reply my IE crashed Laughing Out Loud
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had TT3 and 5 on my Mio 168 and later TT5 on my Mio P350, it wasn't until I changed to iGO 2006 then iGO 8 I realised the difference and how much better iGO8 is, maybe because it's a Mio device and iGO used to supply the mapping.

With TT I had to change some of the NMEA settings to get acceptable performance but popped iGO card into unit, it automatically set COM and Baud rate, gets and holds locks far better and I prefer the software/mapping.

I believe the C210 has a SD Card slot so iGO may work on it. Others here may know different but it's well worth checking.
roadsidefixer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the c210 does have the card slot
i thought that you could only use mio software on a mio device?

i can upgrade the 268 to mio v3 but its £100 but i have mio v3 on cd but its from the c210 so dont think that would work even thought is genuine software
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yes the c210 does have the card slot
i thought that you could only use mio software on a mio device?

I'm sure I saw in one of the posts that if the Mio device has a card slot then iGO will work. On units without a slot it's not possible as it's locked to the SD Card.

iGO8 is about £120 initially but recently they offered an upgrade from 2006+ to 8 for £60, I assume they would do the same when they bring out the next version. Another thing they've done is, if e.g. you purchased the software and newer maps came out within a couple of months, there's every chance they'll do what they did before and offer the new maps free.

Just recently they offered a free upgrade of the Hungary map and another, can't remember which. I never bothered as I won't be going to Hungary.

One of the criticisms of iGO is the number of taps to get from screen to screen, not so now as you can download Ultra Skin 5 from PDA Mill which makes it faster to switch between screens plus opens up a few extras.

You could offer me TT6 for free and I would honestly decline.

There's only one thing which is annoying when it first happens, until you know what to do, and that's with SPECS cameras, iGO software sees them in pairs where in the UK they come in 3's or more. Odd numbers catch the software out e.g. SPEC 1 = Start, SPEC 2 =Finish, SPEC 3 = Start, if there are no more SPECS then the unit keeps giving the warning. Once you know a couple of quick taps, on the on screen icon, turns it off, problem solved.

If you find iGO8 will work with your device and have any questions on what it will or won't do, not many won't's, before you buy, just ask, you'll be surprised. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: