Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Having some 'challenges' with my i3....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Having some 'challenges' with my i3....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicka2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Having some 'challenges' with my i3.... Reply with quote

Morning All

I'm having a few difficulties with my i3 and hope some of you guys can point me in the right direction.

Problem 1 - bought my i3 last August (06), and all was great until about 3 months ago, when I started getting the 'your maps are out of date' error message every time I switched Doris (as I call her - sad, I know!) on.

I completed Garmin's MapSource update Disk order process, and on 5Feb07 received confirmation from Garmin of my Order ID, together with notification that "Your Disk should arrive within 7 - 10 business days via First Class Mail as soon as it is available and ships."

Nothing received by 21Mar07, so I asked them for an update. Garmin responded by email on 28Mar07 stating "I am sorry to read you have not yet received the City Navigator Europe V9 NT update DVD that you ordered through the My Garmin website. If this is still the cases please email me your Full name and Shipping address and which GPS you have and I will arrange for another DVD to be sent out to you."

I replied the same day (28Mar07) with the details they requested, but the blessed DVD has still not arrived by today (28Apr07), which is getting on for three months after my original request. Folks say 'Garmin's aftersales service is excellent', but that's not my experience so far I'm afraid!

Anyway, having read up on this excellent site, I then made a backup of all my stored favourites and POI's, and did a full system re-set of Doris, which got rid of the error message every time I started her up.

Problem 2 - when I went to load the latest speed cameras update, I got another error message stating their was insufficient memory to do so. I tried every which way, but no joy, so thought I'd buy a new microSD card to increase the storage capacity of Doris.

Got a Kingston 1Gb card from Hong Kong (via eBay), and a suitable card reader, and this morning made a backup of my original, current 256Kb card onto my PC, then copied this file onto the new Kingston card and shoved it into Doris (as it were!)

Switched Doris on and ...... error message - blank screen prompting me to install maps via my PC. If I had the maps (see problem 1 above) I'd love to, but let's not go there! When I swapped the new 1Gb card with the original 256Kb Doris works perfectly again, with no prompting for new maps.

So....... grateful for any thoughts on how I can persuade Garmin to send me the updated maps DVD (prob 1) and also for ideas on what's going wrong with my new microSD card (prob 2)

Sorry this post has rambled on for so long, and thanks for getting this far!

nicka2
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right to get this disc i suggest giving them a ring. Numerous emails did not get me that far. That sorts that.

Secondly, it is not possible to copy the maps from one card to the other, the secure part of the card locks it to a specific unit, and without this the maps will not work.

With the UK maps there should be bags of room on 256 as mine with speed cameras came up to 180 odd MB. Check the destination of where the speed camera data is going, is this onto the 256 card or the internal memory. You should be able to install it onto the Micro SD card direct using POI loader and the card reader for your 1 MB card...

Forgot to mention that when you get your disc you will be able to load the new maps onto your new card, and will have lots for room - depending on which maps you choose to install
nicka2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Steve - I'll give Garmin a ring and see what happens!

nicka2

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: