Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - O2 orbit XDA GPS without TT or Co-Pilot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

O2 orbit XDA GPS without TT or Co-Pilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: O2 orbit XDA GPS without TT or Co-Pilot Reply with quote

I already have TTG 510 as a stand alone for car navigation, so I'm not bothered about road maps for the Orbit XDA. MY question is, if I order this smart phone without Co-Pilot or TT can I still use the GPS for other maps . I quite fancy putting some of Memory Maps OS maps onto it or perhaps their European Map ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Map (or any of the other Topo map suppliers) will work fine on the Orbit, what might give you a problem is the data connection to the 510, if you use your phone to supply data over GPRS to the TomTom 510 the Orbit will not allow anything more than handsfree for speech.

Buddies, Traffic, weather etc all need a data connection and untill TomTom re-visit the software and phone connectivity within their software these add ons don't work.

Very nice phone though, I use the T-Mobile version and the original HTC unit, have a quick read through This Thread for some additional thoughts on the Artemis - Mike
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for the reply. Will the GPS function OK without having TT or Co-Pilot ? I read somewhere that you need one or other of these installed for the GPS to function with other maps.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm right in saying that when you buy maps from Memory Map you get the application as well.

Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need Co-Pilot or TomTom installed to use the GPS hardware in the device, most GPS related applications will start the GPS and use the data, if you need to manually configure the GPS port in a program such as Memory Map use:

Maufacturer NMEA
Port Com 4
Baud rate 9600

With the above settings it will work just fine, SpikeyMikey is correct when he said the application comes with the Map, you simply install it to the PC, activate the registration (or the GPS part will not work), connect the XDA to the PC using Active Sync and select Mobile Device on the tool bar in Memory Map on the PC followed by Install Pocket Navigator, this will install the application to the XDA.

With the Application installed use the "Mobile Device" "Send visible map portion" to actuall load the area map you want on the PDA.

It is not a good idea to install full maps to the PDA as there is insufficiant memory on the device to handle them correctly. Keep the map size down to below 300MB and you should be OK Hope this helps - Mike
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thats perfect, thanks Smile I'll tell O2 that I don't want the Co-Pilot or TT and Ill go for the free upgrade to O2 orbit XDA.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can get tt or copilot out of them for free then why not

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get TT or Co-Pilot from them with the Orbit, it's going to cost me £5.00 extra /month and £50 for the phone. I can't see the point when I've already got a TTG 510 for car sat nav.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it on with them, state you will be leaving for another phone supplier and see if you can get the TT application for the £50 but no extra per month, this could be a cheap way to get the latest maps Wink - Mike
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll give it a go, been with them for some time so they probably won't want to loose me !
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the phone now with Co-Pilot for free !! Great phone but I'm glad I did'nt pay for Co-Pilot Satnav.... it's only when you start using it you realize how good Tom Tom is !!! Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: