Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hi to all, and thanks for reading my first post....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi to all, and thanks for reading my first post....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadsack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Hi to all, and thanks for reading my first post.... Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I've got some real noob questions that i'm hoping some kind person can answer for me.

Unit recently purchased is a TomTom 710, with App V 6.522 (7709)
GPS v 1.21 & Boot V 4.86 with Western Europe map V660.1219.

Questions:

Is it worth updating the unit to newer firmware, and do you have the option through tomtom home to not download certain items.

Is it possible to backup the V 6.522 firmware. (as i noticed that there is a newer firmware available from tomtoms site). (only asking in case of problems, i may be able to revert to older firmware).

also when i first turned on my tomtom i installed the SD card, went through the setup process, then thought i would backup the SD card.
So i turned off the unit, unplugged the SD card & put it into my internal card reader, did a simple copy & paste of the whole card, (backup folder called TomTom (N). (yes, configured to show all).
Now when i reinserted the SD card to my tomtom and turned the unit back on, i had the image of a tomtom on screen then the whole screen corrupted, i could not do anything with it, could not even turn the unit off, so i decided to camly reset the unit (as per the instructions from this site) & the unit turned back on - no problem.
Now i know i should have connected through the USB and then just used explorer to view the card, but i did read that people do take out their cards and replace them with backups, so could someone tell me if this is normal for a unit to do this.

Also do i have to use the tomtom speed camera function, or can i simply have both on the same card.

Also looking at getting a new SD card seen this and wondered what you all might think http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3336376/Maxell_X_Series_2GB_SD_Memory_Card/Product.html or http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/1112120/SanDisk_Extreme_III_SD_Card_2GB/Product.html

do i have to have the home charger plugged into a pc for the device to charge,
can i charge the unit without it being turned on,
and how do i know the unit is fully charged.

well i think thats all for now, sorry for being so long winded but it seemed stupid to not get all my questions answered in one hit rather than keep messing about posting single questions.

thankyou to anyone who can help with the above and i look forward to possibly being able to help others if i can.

sadsack....
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi to all, and thanks for reading my first post.... Reply with quote

sadsack wrote:
Questions:

Is it worth updating the unit to newer firmware, and do you have the option through tomtom home to not download certain items.
Only if you want what ever is new in the new update, and yes, you can de-select any items you don't want to download.

sadsack wrote:
Is it possible to backup the V 6.522 firmware. (as i noticed that there is a newer firmware available from tomtoms site). (only asking in case of problems, i may be able to revert to older firmware).
Yes. You've done it already as per your next question. ;)

sadsack wrote:
also when i first turned on my tomtom i installed the SD card, went through the setup process, then thought i would backup the SD card.

Now i know i should have connected through the USB and then just used explorer to view the card, but i did read that people do take out their cards and replace them with backups, so could someone tell me if this is normal for a unit to do this.
It's normally done in a Card Reader because it's quicker. Did you use the Safely Remove Hardware Function of the PC? Always a wise move just to make sure it has finished writing to the Card.

sadsack wrote:
Also do i have to use the tomtom speed camera function, or can i simply have both on the same card.
You don't have to use the TT cameras. Why would you need both?

sadsack wrote:
Also looking at getting a new SD card seen this and wondered what you all might think http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3336376/Maxell_X_Series_2GB_SD_Memory_Card/Product.html or http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/1112120/SanDisk_Extreme_III_SD_Card_2GB/Product.html
The first one is a bit on the slow side. The second is better. Anything above x100 speed should be OK. There's been quite a bit of discussion of the relative merits of different speeds in SD Card.

sadsack wrote:
do i have to have the home charger plugged into a pc for the device to charge,
can i charge the unit without it being turned on,
and how do i know the unit is fully charged.
The unit doesn't have to be connected to the PC for the Home Dock to charge the Device. Only the Mains. Smile

The 710 does not have to be turned on to be charged.

If you leave the Charger on for 2 hours it should be fully charged. If you tap the Bottom Right of the screen, on the satellite graphic, there will be a battery indicator at the Top Right of the screen. It will be obvious. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
sadsack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help Richard, much appreciated, is there anything that you would recomend i do (as far as downloading from tomtom goes) any particular items i should update.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only thing that I download, via HOME, is the small plug-in dll file that is used to get the Virtual Device on the PC Screen.

Some use GPSQuickFix, which I've allowed it to download once a week. I'm going to leave that to see how much difference it really makes. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info
I use a second (2GB) SD card and have left the original in the box, so it doesn't matter if I jigger up the copy (actually, I have TWO extra cards with one carried as a spare which definitely works, just in case I don't find out I've jiggered one until I'm out in the wild blue yonder!)
I can't remember last time I connected via the USB, always use the card reader. I allow TT Home to Autorun when it senses the card, but I minimise it. In addition to "Eject" card with Explorer, also use the "My Device" button in TT Home to disconnect the card. You will invariably get the boot up TT hands symbol and the drumbeats whenever you first switch on after taking the SD card out of the device.
I allow Quickgpsfix to download, but I honestly can't decide whether it makes any difference to the speed of acquiring a satellite connection. I set "Change Preferences" ... "Startup Preferences" ... "Continue where I left off" - because I use the device everywhere I go, this means when I switch on it's looking up for satellites from where it was looking when it switched off and it remembers which direction they all were and finds them fast. If you drive off then switch on somewhere else (or whilst moving) you'll find it takes much longer.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: