Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Submitt POIs Map Dated
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Submitt POIs Map Dated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Submitt POIs Map Dated Reply with quote

Can anyone advise when Submitt Maps will be updated to latest edition, I am having difficulty placing POIs specifically to central Loughborough around the Rushes, which on the current POIs map roads have been changed significantly and completely wrong, although this version matches TTN6 UK V6.60 the TTN6 Western Europe V6.60 TeleAtlas version shows roads correct although access is denied to Biggin Street from the A6 and not shown, I prefer the uk UK map because it shows rivers and canals etc, Can anybody advise the schedule for updating the sites Map, secondly how can I tell which are navtek or teleatlas map versions, Finally before I ruffle anybodys feathers this is not a complaint but purely a request.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the POI map uses the "live" map from the Google Maps website, so is as up to date as that is, and can't be 'updated' until Google do it.
For your example, the Google Maps page HERE looks exactly the same as the one on the POI page.

As for who's mapping it is, if you mean on the POI map, Google use several mapping companies. You can see whose data is in use for any location by looking at the copyright message in the bottom right (TeleAtlas 2007 for this bit of Loughborough).

If the roads are wrong on that map, but they are right on your satnav, why not just read the Lat and Long co-ordinates off-screen, and submit them that way (with a comment to say why they might seem to be "off-road").
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your Point Andy, Must confess I did not check Google maps first and yes you are correct, Google not up to date and same as pgpsw site map, just a bit disconcerting when you have 2 tom tom 6 maps both showing different maps.
Unfortunately I use the UK map which gives me more information that I use than the WE map and not yet loaded POIs on WE, and yes I suppose could check co-ordinates on WE but it is a long way round and turns a simple function into a labour. I suppose we will just have to wait till google decide to update.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use poi capture to, erm, capture pois!

this saves the co-ordinates of where you are and allows you to select camera type, speed etc. you can then upload the ov2 file it creates via the submission page

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/poicapture.php

MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried both TTN5 and Beta2 Versions and cannot get to either to work on my MIO168, Both freeze in menu, But we are talking General POIs and map updates, not speed Cameras.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. You hadn't mentioned MIO before, but now you say "MIO168".
As far as I can tell from a quick Google search the Mitac Mio 168 is a Pocket PC device running Windows mobile 2003 and MioMap software, not TomTom Navigator!

POI Capture can capture (as the name implies) any POIs, not just speed cameras, but it is designed for TomTom PDA's, not Mio's.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy you are just confusing yourself, The mio168 was and is available with TomTom as well as without any navigation software whatsover, as mine was and then purchased tom seperately starting with ttn5 (all new), It is also upgradable to 2003se as mine is, Poi capture is specified for Tomtom Navigator ttn5 and with beta2 for ttn6 and looking at the pictures would seem oriebtated to speed cameras primarily, I am not aware that TomTom manufacture PDAs, but because I cannot run POI Capture like some others on this forum, It seems Imaterial. As said previously I opened this post querying Updated Teleatlas maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, apologies for a slip of the keys, I meant "PND" not "PDA".

Second, I said I was confused! Smile As I said, it was a quick Google search and the first three links I tried (as well as the camera database compatibility chart on this site ) ALL made no mention of anything but MioMap software, so sorry for getting it wrong, but you can see how I came to the wrong conclusion...

Third, as you can't seem to run POICapture, my original answer still holds: there is no "version correlation" between the Google map on the submission page and the map on your unit (or any other brand for that matter), so if you find somewhere where it is totally wrong, just read the co-ordinates off the screen and submit them that way.

All the best...
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basicly this is what I am doing, and hoping to reposition when map updates become available,
I think in most cases people would be reasonably happy to know that a certain POI is in a nearby location, which is one reason I advocate address to be part of a POi thus giving directions after perhaps parking nearby, although in the particular area mentioned it would be impossible to navigate there.
But I must admit it is still disconcerting when company's like TomTom issued 2 sets of maps (UK & WE V660) virtually at the same time with one showing such out of date information, which will mean further cost just to keep up to date.
I have emailed google to enquire if a scheduled update is planned , If I recieve a reply I will post.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: