Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NO CAMERA WARNINGS ON c510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NO CAMERA WARNINGS ON c510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: NO CAMERA WARNINGS ON c510 Reply with quote

Hi, I have a c510 with Garmin camera database. I downloaded pgps single zone cameras and in proximity points they are ticked as on. I also have the Garmin ticked. When I approach a camera I get a warning ,but only from the Garmin database. If I untick the Garmin I get no warning at all. Is there something else I should be doing?
roadrunner69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chrisb80
You need to install the camera db using poi loader in manual mode - not auto
this lets you set proximity distances and warning sounds.
hope this helps.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadrunner69 wrote:
You need to install the camera db using poi loader in manual mode - not auto

The PocketGPSWorld files already contain speed/proximity information in a form that POI Loader recognises. Manual mode does not override information in the file. So if manual mode makes a difference, the wrong set has definitely been loaded in the first place.

Disappointing that no-one from Pocketgps world answered this query. Customer support?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, try downloading the POI Loader version of the Garmin PGPSW camera database, and then install it via POI Loader using the Express Mode (but make sure it's set to Feet and MPH).

Then check that you can see the various camera files by going into Where To? Custom POIs (you may need to select another option before getting to this menu). You should then see the different camera files.

PhilHornby - they only got back from CeBIT late last night, and I think they have concentrated on questions in the dedicated subscribers area whilst away.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: NO CAMERA WARNINGS ON c510 Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your input ,will give your instructions a try shortly.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: NO CAMERA WARNINGS ON c510 Reply with quote

Hi,I did exactly what Swing advised when I downloaded originally. Yes if I go into -where to-Custom poi's- it gives 3 options 1-all categories 2--pocketgps-uk-sc 3--pocketgps-uk-pmobile. If I touch any of these it shows me cameras in a radius of up to 10 to 30 miles. If I click on one I then get a screen that says GO. and if I touch on that it presumably takes me to that location, but as far as I can see there are no other options.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: NO CAMERA WARNINGS ON c510 Reply with quote

chrisb80 wrote:
If I click on one I then get a screen that says GO.
That screen should also show "Alert Information:" with a distance and speed. If it doesn't , then I reckon you've loaded the wrong set of files (easily done, it has to be said).

Check this http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=51761 -- that's what had happened here.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: NO CAMERA WARNINGS ON c510 Reply with quote

Hi Phil,yes the screen did show "alert information" etc. I looked at the link you sent, but still can't understand what is meant by loading wrong set of files, I thought you just chose between "single file" or"speed zoned etc. Anyway I always intended loading speed zoned along with some other pois. to replace the single zone, and already had them in a folder on desktop, so I have now done that and have literally got dozens of categories showing. I assume the only way to set them as on is by ticking the box on Custom POIs in the proximity alerts screen? I'll give it a try next time I go out and report back, thanks Chris.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: NO CAMERA WARNINGS ON c510 Reply with quote

chrisb80 wrote:
Hi Phil,yes the screen did show "alert information" etc.
Good - so you're up and running then.
Quote:
I looked at the link you sent, but still can't understand what is meant by loading wrong set of files
There's a set lurking in there with no speed or proximity information - meant as an overlay for some other GPS?
Quote:
I assume the only way to set them as on is by ticking the box on Custom POIs in the proximity alerts screen?
Correct.
Quote:
I'll give it a try next time I go out
You can test them, using the "simulate driving this route" function.

Press 'spanner'
    system
    GPS Mode=OFF
    Where to?
    Extras
    Custom POI
    Pick a camera and hit Map
    tap somewhere down the road from the camera and
    Set Loc.
    Hit Back
    Hit GO (i.e. drive to your selected camera)
    Do you want to simulate driving this route? -- say yes.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: NO CAMERA WARNINGS ON c510 Reply with quote

Hi Phil, just drove simulated route and the cameras appeared ok. Will try it tomorrow and see if it's ok live. Great tuition , thanks Chris.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: DOWNLOAD TO GARMIN c510 Reply with quote

Hi again, I've now tried out the detector locally and on some cameras I now get a warning bleep with red info, but some give no sound and only show the image of a camera on the road, and nothing else. Is this how it should work with different camera types, or have I got to enter something else. Also if I want to download any other pois am I correct in assuming that, every time,I have to put these in the folder on my desktop containing my original camera database and existing pois, and then download the whole lot again, as I believe every time I download any pois it deletes any already loaded. thanks for any info, it might sink in one day.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: DOWNLOAD TO GARMIN c510 Reply with quote

chrisb80 wrote:
on some cameras I now get a warning bleep with red info, but some give no sound ... have I got to enter something else.
I think you're possible going too slow to trigger the alert Exclamation

Actually, until April 17th I'm running Garmin's own camera database (that's when the trial runs out) - I thought I noticed a change in behaviour with the last firmware upgrade (v5.4.0), but assumed if I had, it was a Garmin-database only thing. Maybe not?

Quote:
...I have to put these in the folder ...containing my original camera database and existing pois, and download the whole lot again

POI Loader's output is a single file called POI.GPI. It overwrites the existing one, so the simple answer to your question is "yes".

That's probably the way most people do it. However, I like to be able to alter the order that things appear in the list, (without calling them AA_McDonalds and ZZ_speedcameras;-) - so I use separate .GPI files.

I run POILoader against the directory in question and then rename POI.GPI to something meaningful (like Petrol Stations.gpi) for example, and keep these files separate. You can reserve the un-renamed POI.GPI for data that's changing frequently - such as your speed cameras.

Actually, I get POI LOader to write to an SD card and then put that in the C510.
It will say "Do you want to copy this data?" when it spots new files. You can either say "No", in which case it will ask every boot, or say "yes", click [x]Don't ask me again, followed by "skip this file" - in which case it will never ask again and access them in situ.

What I do, is skip through to the one I want first, and say "Yes", pop the card in and out and skip through to the next one and say "yes", until they're all done. Once the order is set, you don't need to keep setting it in future.

Far too time-consuming and fiddly for most people - but I like it Smile
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: DOWNLOAD TO GARMIN c510 Reply with quote

Thanks for prompt reply Phil. with all the detail. I did wonder about the speed a couple of times, but this morning I was doing 65 approaching where I know there is occasionally a mobile,and it only showed an image on the map.cheers Chris I have the Garmin database and started the 90 day trial a couple of weeks back,but have unticked it to try the pgps download. In fact a couple of miles from mine the Garmin will alert to a mobile, and the pgps doesn't. Anyway I'm on a journey to the airport tonight, and I know there are a lot of cameras on route so I'll see what shows up. As to your way of setting pois ,I haven't yet got an SD card and I'm not quite confident enough or proficient yet to really get into it , but I'll keep a copy for the future. As to this Garmin trial does the database finish at 90 days or does it just continue without being able to update unless I subscribe,cheers Chris
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DOWNLOAD TO GARMIN c510 Reply with quote

chrisb80 wrote:
As to this Garmin trial does the database finish at 90 days or does it just continue without being able to update unless I subscribe

Dunno - ask me on April 17th :D
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: NO CAMERA WARNINGS ON c510 Reply with quote

Hi, during my recent journey it appears that my camera warnings are working. So thanks to Phil and others who replied. Phil was correct in pointing out that the bleep alert sounds only when you are going overspeed on approach.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: