Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Broken Ipaq :(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken Ipaq :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Broken Ipaq :( Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just when I'd got my GPS etc working fine I've dropped and cracked the screen on my HP2210 - can anyone recommend a good repair service ?

DinAlt

PS sorry if this is the wrong forum BTW
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be entitled to warranty service - send it to HP.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ibendin,

Really ? I tried to contact HP for a list of repair sites earlier but they had already closed - didn't think I'd stand a chance with warranty as it was my (well my daughter's) fault it's broke - oh wel fingers crossed...).

DinAlt
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - how I feel for you. A broken screen is one of the most inconvenient and expensive accidents to have with a Pocket PC.

I'd start by contacting HP - at least that way you can find out what the cost would be to use an authorised service centre, which should give you no problems with future warranty status. I know there are third-party repair services that may be cheaper - look for Pocket PC Techs - but I'm not aware of any that are UK based. Obviously if you have to send the machine abroad for repair, it will most likely take longer than sending it to somewhere in the UK.

Screen replacements, particularly if the screen itself has broken (and the damage isn't limited to the touchscreen layer, which can be changed separately - if you can see actual cracks and/or the display is affected) are very expensive; you could well be talking about 150 pounds, maybe even a little more. The warranty won't cover it - accidental screen damage is excluded unless you have the add-on HP policy that includes accidental damage.

For older devices, the advice usually is to scrap the Pocket PC and buy a new one - but a 2210 is probably worth repairing, particularly as I'm guessing that you'd buy the same model again if you had to buy a replacement.

Before just caving in and paying the bill yourself, check that you don't have any insurance coverage. You may find your household insurance will pay some or all of the cost, particularly if the damage happened at home. Before calling, though, check as to whether you could be losing any no claims bonus - it may turn out to be more expensive trying to claim than not claiming.

One last tip - make sure you back up your data before sending in the Pocket PC, and remove all your accessories (memory cards, even the stylus) before sending it in for repair. Indeed, check with the repair centre whether or not they want the battery - they may well tell you to keep that, too. The machine is almost guaranteed to come back from repair having been hard reset.

I'd normally advise you to consider removing any screen protector before sending the device for repair - but in this case, even if it's an expensive one, I'd scrap it, even if it looks undamaged. There may just be a tiny glass fragment on it with the potential to damage an expensive new screen.

David
SandMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't get any joy from HP, try the following website:

http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/store.php

Good luck!
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys (or gals if that's the case <g>).
My Ipaq is now with Ipaqrepair - I contacted HP - they couldn't find the part no. for my screen and even if they had they told me it would take 5 days to get a quote to me...
Ipaqrepair reckon I should get my Ipaq back on Friday - my wallet however is stinging as it's £140... unfortunately you can't get the touchscreen alone on the newer Ipaqs..

DinAlt
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the actual screen was cracked, then you needed a complete module anyway.

Changing the touchscreen layer alone is done when the display is OK but the screen doesn't respond to the stylus correctly, or is excessively scratched.

Have you checked with your household insurance to see if there's any cover, or did you decide not to bother?

David
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DavidW,

Yeah i checked with the insurers - not covered but at least the turn round is fast -got it back Friday morning - now all I need is for Seidio to start shipping their new mounts so I can exchange the one I bought before Xmas.

BTW I'm a chemist as well (at least my training is chemistry - been working in anti corrosion for 16 years).

DinAlt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: