Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 6 and the system security lock timeout
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 6 and the system security lock timeout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bb193
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Navigator 6 and the system security lock timeout Reply with quote

I am having a problem with Navigator 6 running on an HP6915 PDA – I hope you can help.

When I'm using Navigator 6, the security lock timeout cuts in, rendering the unit unusable. I want to keep the security lock, but not when Navigator 6 is running (in the same way that Mobile 5 works on Smartphones)

I work in the UK fire service, and we want to provide these devices to all our officers. We want to be able to mobilise them to an incident and to fire up Navigator 6 to provide the fastest route to the incident. This works a treat.

We have used Mobile 5 for a long time on Smartphones (eg imate SP5). As a security feature, we use the Microsoft remote admin function to impose a policy on all such devices to invoke the security PIN feature, so the phone will automatically lock after 5 minutes of idle time. This works well. It is OK with Mobile 5 on an SP5, because it seems that Mobile 5 has a way of preventing the phone from locking when Mobile 5 is being used - I guess it makes it clear it is not idle. In this way, you can still use Mobile 5 to navigate when driving, without the phone locking you out.

However, this feature does not seem to work with Navigator 6 on an HP6915 PDA (or several other PDAs we have tried like the XDA, JasJar, or HTC 3300). With these devices, when you are using Navigator 6, after the designated idle period, the PDA is locked. This prevents TomTom from working.

Anyone know what functionality we should expect with Navigator 6 regarding the PIN lockout feature?

There has been some comments about different functionality if the PDA is being powered - does this make sense?

How do we prevent it locking the phone out when using Navigator 6, while still maintaining the security of a 5 minute idle lockout when not using Navigator 6?

Cheers

Eric
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not too sure you can easily get WM2005 to do this, I use a little extra application to toggle the lock on/ off via a hardware button, its a compromise but works for me. There are some details Here - Mike
bb193
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea. I just know that if we give people this, they will use it to switch the PIN off (the MS policy we have forces it on, and greys the option out for the user).

Maybe we need to develop the app so that it switches the lock off automatically when TomTom is running?

I just find it so annoying that the SP5 and Mobile 5 works just as a want, but the PDA and Navigator 6 don't. :-(

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: