Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New I3 V9 maps tellig me to update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New I3 V9 maps tellig me to update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcigaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: New I3 V9 maps tellig me to update Reply with quote

I have just recieved a streetpilot I3 for Xmas but when i turn it on it tells me that the following maps are more than a year old and should be updated at garmin.com, however when i check i have the new V9 maps anyway, can i stop this message from appearing? Thanks
ryokan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ve just got rid of the "update message" by resetting the unit. Turn it off, then hold all three buttons at the same time to turn back on. I got a message saying "erase all data" and I used scroll wheel to say yes. This rebooted it and the "update message did not appear again.
It loses all your favorite and settings so you may wish to save them first using EasyGPS or similar. It took a bit of fiddling to get back to how it was but not much different from when I first used it out of the box - it assumed I was somewhere in Sweden according to the map but OK when it picked up the satellite again.
I don't know whether it made a difference to the above but I upgraded to the latest firmware 3.2 before I carried out the procedure. Everything seems fine so far. Some people say older firmware 2.7 is more stable - see other posts on this.
Good Luck
westyorkshireguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bit of advice is be 100% sure your i3 Unit has V9 maps. When I bought mine, the box had a sticker saying V9 maps, but V8 maps were actualy installed as V9 weren't yet available.

If you find you do have V8 maps, you can upgrade to V9 for free at www.garmin.com/mapupdates as you bought your unit after September 1st.

You will see a long thread about this in the forum if you do a search!
PowerLee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used my I3 for a couple of months & I switched it on last night, update nag screen come up straight away.

The resetting of the unit does work, gets rid of the update nag screen.

Only bought my I3 in July this year & it has V8 maps on it, not even a year old & it was nagging me for map updates already.
dcigaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data on the sat nav actually tells me that V9 maps are installed.
I have also registered the unit on garmin which tells me that My I3 is an imported unit from france but with the Uk base maps due to shortages of the I3 in the UK earlier in the year, I have requested a City Navigator Europe NT v9 DVD from garmin which is in the post and have been given an unlock code for free as I purchased the unit after september 1st. However the mapsource product I am being sent is indicated as City Navigator Europe NT+ v8 - Region 2 (Fra). Does this mean I am being sent detailed maps for france and if i was to buy a new transflash card i would then have a copy of both UK and France maps on different cards.
Thanks
ryokan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcigaz
I've got an imported french unit also but with V8 maps locked to Region 2 France. I registered and requested an update disc and I was sent an email confirming that one will be sent for V9:
Thank you, Martin, for completing GARMIN's unlock process!
Your unlock code for City Navigator Europe NT v9, Deluxe All Regions, Sept. 06 is: ***********************
So I am hoping that it will be for all Europe but I doubt it. Wait and see.
Even though my present unit is Region 2 France the maps are for UK and Ireland and only the very northern parts of France (which is better than no France at all). My guess is that the routable part is UK and Ireland only - may get a chance to take it over to France next year and find out.
Try logging on to "my garmin" http://www.garmin.com/unlock/ again and see if you get another unlock code. I got two - one for V8 and the second time after I ordered the update disc I went back and got a second unlock which was for the V9 deluxe all regions - and I haven'y been asked to purchase anything
dcigaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact same has happened for me so hopefully we will both recieve the v9 delux maps
dcigaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news, i recieved my update dvd this morning and put in the update code for the delux version i was given by garmin and hey presto i now have all of europe to add to my i3 whenever i need to. not bad for no cost to me at all.
ryokan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I actually put the new maps on a blank new transflash 512mb card in case there were any problems but there were'nt. Means I've got the old V8 as a backup. Did this via a card reader.
Well chuffed with Garmin. The Mapsource programme is pretty good by itself even if you didn't have a satnav. Checked the V9 mapping of Ireland and although it is a massive improvement on V8 it is still not that complete - my mother's village is not on there or the road by the side of Loch Key in County Roscommon where we stopped in a holiday cottage last year.
But like you say - full European mapping for no extra cost. Thanks Garmin :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: