Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - is it the same unlock code? why not work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

is it the same unlock code? why not work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavender2008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: is it the same unlock code? why not work? Reply with quote

I bought my streetpilot i3 in June 2006, i got the unlock code for the CITY NAVIGATOR NT V7, then i submit request for City navigator NT V8 online and received the disk, but the mapquest v8 always says the map is locked, why? Isn't it the same unlock code with v7 before? Thanks!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unlock code is for a particular version of the maps - a v7 code will not unlock a v8 map - you will need to pay for a new unlock code. Map updates are not normally free from any SatNav manufacturer.
lavender2008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: cuz i recently bought it, i heard that within a yr, it is Reply with quote

cuz i recently bought it, i heard that within a yr, it is free upgrade, that is why when i key in online, the software also comes free. Am i wrong at this?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Garmin site

Quote:
FREE UPDATES:
If you ORIGINALLY & NEWLY unlocked a NEW locked MapSource CD-ROM/DVD-ROM product ON or AFTER the release date of an update for that same product, you are eligible to unlock on that specific update what you unlocked on the original for no charge. In other words, you can update to the latest data for free!

Have a read of this.

I'm sure they've made concessions in the past, though. Mind you, the update is only $75, which is about £40 I reckon, and is stil good value.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: cuz i recently bought it, i heard that within a yr, it i Reply with quote

lavender2008 wrote:
i heard that within a yr, it is free upgrade
As Tim says, there are certain times and periods when Garmin may offer a free upgrade. However, the upgrade for an i3 is normally a replacement SD card, not a free unlock code. Either way, you will need a v8 (or v9) unlock code from Garmin, as your current unlock code will not work (v7). Only Garmin can decide to provide you with a free unlock code / free SD card.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, the upgrade for an i3 is normally a replacement SD card, not a free unlock code.

For the upgrade from v8 to v9 this year you order a free DVD and then either buy the unlock code or get a free one if you qualify.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: