Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Autoroute 2007
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Autoroute 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Autoroute 2007 Reply with quote

Hi all
I usually contribute to this site on Navman 5xx?
I am trying to find out any information regarding MS Autoroute 2007. Having had a laptop for xmas, I am interested in this product as an alternative to my Navman.
If I am at the wrong topic area I appologise, but if anyone can point me in the right direction (no pun intended) I am most great full.
I have found a retailer that is selling it well below manufacturer’s retail which includes a GPS receiver, this is a MS package.
Having owned 2 previous versions 2000 & 2004, which incorporated ‘Pocket Streets’, which I run on a PDA? I am interested in how it will perform on a laptop.
I would like to find out more, before parting with my hard earned cash.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to carry a laptop with MS Autoroute Express (no gps), but gave it up after getting a Tom Tom GO in May 2005. Before the satnav it did me OK, but it wasn't practical (or safe, or legal) to use whilst driving. It suffered screen reflection, was liable to slide off the passenger seat, didn't fit in my pocket to take out when I parked, had to wait for it to boot up every time I needed to consult it - all problems I don't get with satnav now. I wouldn't go back to one now, even with gps.
Don't know anything about Navmen, so can't comment on whether it would be an improvement over that, but it doesn't look like it from noticing them in passing.
MS Autoroute is fine - I have it on my desktop and like to look up routes before departing whenever possible, just to get a geographical picture.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I used to carry a laptop with MS Autoroute Express (no gps), but gave it up after getting a Tom Tom GO in May 2005. Before the satnav it did me OK, but it wasn't practical (or safe, or legal) to use whilst driving. It suffered screen reflection, was liable to slide off the passenger seat, didn't fit in my pocket to take out when I parked, had to wait for it to boot up every time I needed to consult it - all problems I don't get with satnav now. I wouldn't go back to one now, even with gps.
Don't know anything about Navmen, so can't comment on whether it would be an improvement over that, but it doesn't look like it from noticing them in passing.
MS Autoroute is fine - I have it on my desktop and like to look up routes before departing whenever possible, just to get a geographical picture.
I'm not actually recommending the use of a laptop instead of a PND, but if you were to go down this path, there are some mounts available here

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I did not come across as I should have?
I did not mean to replace my Navman, but supplement it with electronic maps as a backup in stead of hard copies, which is the norm? With the added bonus of knowing exactly where we are on our trips, which are pre planned before departure. I am talking trips into Europe etc, not down to the local shop.
Today I purchased from PC World Autoroute 2007 with GPS, for £65. When I came home from work, installed it and it seems ok.
The wife is the navigator so she will be responsible for the laptop. In work I will put it to the test over the next couple of weeks, as 2 of us travel around the country in the same vehicle.
I have an inverter, that will power up the laptop via the car socket. So between the dash and my lap I will give it a good test, how hot of how uncomfortable etc.
Regards
DRP

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Well, you've got it right. Congratulations.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Gave the 2007 its first road trip today. Its what I expected.
• Dose not back on track.
• Will navigate from current location to destination.
• Voice could be a little louder.
• Has night screen. Black with levels of green intensity coloured roads depending on road type.
• Has very good detail maps with river names etc.
• Has auto zoom.
• Distance bar and time dependant on speed to next turn.

What I did find strange is when travelling south and you have the map set for direction up (like GPS units) and the map is zoomed out, all the names are upside down to how a map is displayed in an atlas. ‘Something to get familiar with’.
What I need it for is when I have plotted a route to say south of France; it will give me a reference to where we are on the trip at that moment in time. Not having to constantly monitor hard copies.

To any trucker or campervan user, using a laptop with such a large display is a bonus. It was mixed weather today so I had all types of reflections on screen but I was able to see it all the time when I was driving and the laptop was on my colleges lap. Its not as versatile as an in car GPS, but it will certainly replace hard copies when we travel.
I do not think that I have wasted my money with this product, as I always plan my trips with Autoroute, then print out hard copies for reference. This way I have an instant reference.
Regards
DRP

aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP, may I suggest to add more versatility, all my laptops have had vga outputs for second display why look at adding a 4" to 7" lcd tv which could be mounted on dash or wherever, , my 7" has av and vga plus inputs to accept cameras etc, I also use autoroute 007 and find it an invaluable addition on my pc giving far more than gps units,unfortunately my tv will not connet to PDA,neither got gps for autoroute although did use with 2005 but 2007 much improved.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: