Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quick question about the mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick question about the mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sturgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Quick question about the mount Reply with quote

Ok I am taking the plunge going for either the 710 or 910 (not much difference in price at the mo) but have a quick question about the mount. I have heard a fair amount of neg comments about the mount but can you use it to attach to the dash? I was thinking of fixing a smooth plastic disk to my dash and fixing the mount to that rather than the windscreen. Any thoughts?

Cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly possible to do this, there is sufficient adjustment in the mount to allow for dash mounting, the only drawback is if you decide to remove the plastic disk used to put the mount on, these disks are fit once and are not really intended to come off, so make sure you get the position correct BEFORE fixing in position - Mike
sturgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Thanks for the response, I have an ideal spot on my dash that does not standout when in the drivers seat but will give me a good view of the device. Could you suggest a good place to obtain a "disk" or just make one up?

Cheers
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay item #220066473083

This gets you 3 ( in case you have more than one car ).
Search for other peeps selling single if not required or distribute to TT owning m8s.

I fitted one to works van & to my car today & it is the best thing.....no more nasty rings to wipe off the windscreen.

Also, consider getting one of those smiley circular car air fresheners ( vanilla is my fave ).
Keep it in your glovebox.
When you remove your TomTom mount, drop it in the disc as camouflage.
Put back in the glovebox when you mount up again.

regards
hirve
sturgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hirve

Thanks for that, ordered them now what one to go fro the 710 or 910........ How are you finding your 710?

Thanks again

Sturgi
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sturgi wrote:
...How are you finding your 710?

I use my Go300 to navigate to 'front of car'.....& there it is !!! Laughing

( please God! let sturgi have a sense of humour or I've just upset another complete stranger.....oh, when will I ever learn............)

Compared to my 300, I think the 710 is visually better ( to look at & to use, what with the wider screen and all .) Update the Firmware & there aren't that many differences ( x00 to x10 series ), really.....

My 710 - I just downloaded QuickGPSFix which will come in handy. It can do all of the mobilly things if I wish it too, which I don't - ( phone, email, RDS-TMC, .... ). Have you compared the spec between the two you are considering? 710 ----- 910

As I understand, you can get a good deal on the 910, compared with usual 710 price ( not current offer discounted price ) but it is only a worthwile expense/saving if you envisage ever using the 'extra' features. I mean, a lot of people buy those £500 expresso machines & only make regular black coffee.....kettle £10, Carte Noire Instant £3, get the idea!

That's why I went 710. Didn't need HDD for mp3's, photo's, etc..
Didn't need US maps - I only transfer flights at JFK, never ever step inside that place, nor do I intend too!!! If I trusted my mates, I guess I could have bought a 910 & loaned it to them for Disney-Burger-World-Park holidays, but I don't - so I didn't.

If I want to expand maps, I'll get a bigger SD and that'll do for me.

If any 510/710/910 users want to chip in with other FaB's they like, to give sturgi a broader users perspective, please do....

Additional: I drive a Laguna and have mounted my disc thing dead centre of dash, on clock housing bit. Stood it in place & checked it was usable & everything. Stuck it in place. Only when I tried to release the 710 from its mount did I realise it was a little bit further forward ( towards bonnet/screen ) than I would have liked. The mount alone releases fine, the 710 however gets a tad close to the windscreen so I have to place my hand to the side. Bear this in mind when locating yours.......

regards
hirve
sturgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Laughing Laughing Laughing
Was only thinking about the 910 as the cost between the 2 is only £30'ish and you just never know when/if the extras will be needed.

A friend has just thrown me a curve ball he has shown me his Navman N40i which looks the mutt's and boy is it light and thin. Off to Halfrauds to play with their display before making my final decision.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: