Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What can a Nuvi 300 do that a C310 can't?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What can a Nuvi 300 do that a C310 can't?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: What can a Nuvi 300 do that a C310 can't? Reply with quote

I've used a Streetpilot C310 for a couple of years now, and I'm wondering if the Nuvi 300 has enough improvements in fuctionality to make it worth changing. I'm very taken with it's compactness. I don't need MP3, or Bluetooth or JPEG viewer, just good old SatNav. So is the NUVI 300 a lot better than my C310?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at garmins comparison section here this might help you..
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I had a look there and I can't see any additional functionality except the things I don't need. (MP3, Audio-book, travel-assistant). The NUVI differs from the c310 in respect of its receiver. The Nuvi has "High sensitivity GPS receiver by SiRF" and the c310 has "12 channel". Sadly this doesn't mean much to me. I see in a NUVI review that it has 8-digit postcode search, whereas the c310 doesn't. But other than these two things there doesn't seem to be any improvement in functionality. I was hoping to find a device which will allow the building of trips with several via-points, and the ability to save such trips. I work around the absence of this on the c310 but it's a bore finding destinations in a long list of favourites, and one doesn't always want to stop in order to enter the next destination. I would also like the ability to choose an intersection as a destination as the American manual says the c310 can, but mine can't. A friend with a navman icn510 says his device can do both these things (but it won't save the trips), so maybe it's goodbye garmin?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnotherBob wrote:
Thanks, I had a look there and I can't see any additional functionality except the things I don't need. (MP3, Audio-book, travel-assistant). The NUVI differs from the c310 in respect of its receiver. The Nuvi has "High sensitivity GPS receiver by SiRF" and the c310 has "12 channel". Sadly this doesn't mean much to me.

A SiRFStarIII receiver is very much more sensitive and so will retain satellite lock where others can't. If reception isn't a problem for you now then you can ignore this!
Quote:
I see in a NUVI review that it has 8-digit postcode search, whereas the c310 doesn't. But other than these two things there doesn't seem to be any improvement in functionality. I was hoping to find a device which will allow the building of trips with several via-points, and the ability to save such trips. I work around the absence of this on the c310 but it's a bore finding destinations in a long list of favourites, and one doesn't always want to stop in order to enter the next destination. I would also like the ability to choose an intersection as a destination as the American manual says the c310 can, but mine can't. A friend with a navman icn510 says his device can do both these things (but it won't save the trips), so maybe it's goodbye garmin?

Pretty much all of those are possible on a TomTom. They call it 'Itinerary' and you can create and save these. You can also set a junction as a destination. In fact using the 'Browse Map' facility you can set any navigable point on a road as a destination.
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help. Does your information on the Tom Tom devices apply to the Tom Tom One? I would prefer a pocketable device, and the Tom Tom Go seems to be a chunky device rather like the c310. If it's appropriate to ask about navman devices in this forum, can anyone say if the icn 530 has the 'multi via-point' and 'save trip' features? I'm afraid it's not clear to me from any retailer's sites, and it is no longer listed on Navman's own site.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom ONE has all these features. It does not have Bluetooth Handsfree when compared to the x10's. However the platform has all the mapping/navigation features common to all TomTom products and the ONE has the SiRFStarIII GPS.
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I have had difficulties with reception with my c310. It took over 10 minutes to get a fix last Sunday evening (dreadful weather, overcast etc.). I don't need the Bluetooth facility. One of the pleasures of days out in the car is that one cannot be reached by phone Smile My car has a Bluetooth device which I have not bothered to activate. Other than days out for pleasure, my main use of Satnav is to guide me around urban sprawls where I need to find maybe five or six car parks near to shopping centres. The ability to compile these into saved trips would be excellent.
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After asking around and reading what I can find on the web I've just ordered a Tom Tom ONE (UK only), £176.99 from Dixons. Now it's off to Ebay with the C310.
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops!
Slipped up there. I didn't notice that at that price you don't get the in-car power supply.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnotherBob wrote:
Woops!
Slipped up there. I didn't notice that at that price you don't get the in-car power supply.

Eh? You will do, that's a standard accessory. You may not get the 240v mains adapter though.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnotherBob wrote:
Woops!

the tom tom box should have had cellophane around it , if it didnt then it sounds like you got a customer return minus the in-car charger....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he has got one yet, I suspect it's an incorrect assumption.
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at this page
http://tinyurl.com/y54m9f
You will see two Tom Tom Ones. One at 182.95 and another at 191.99. Check out the cheaper one.... it has no in-car adapter. One is listed as an 'add-on' at 14.99. The more expensive one has the in-car adapter listed as part of the package.
Fortunately I was able to cancel the order this morning, and I have now ordered from globalpositioningsystems.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob , i can assure you 100% that you will get a in-car charger....dixons have obviously not put all the relevant info in their ad...
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I've cancelled we'll never know Smile
I can't see why they list two different offers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: