Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Needs Help With GTM21
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Needs Help With GTM21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart_rayner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Newbie Needs Help With GTM21 Reply with quote

I recently purchased a C510D, complete with traffic receiver. I have registered the nav unit with Garmin, but I was wondering if I have to do the same with the traffic receiver. I tried this, but the GTM21 did not appear as an option on the MyGarmin site.

I dont know if I have to activate my Trafficmaster subscription or not. So far, although sat lock has been very quick, I have not got anything but a solid yellow status light from the GTM21.

I tried searching for traffic providers, but this just kept going on and on with no providers returned. I note my subscription appears in the relevant section, but I always get a message saying that it has not been activated, and will do so when it actually receives a broadcast.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
stuart_rayner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, meant to say that I am in west Leeds. Anyone know what the traffic coverage is like around here?
CreaTz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart

I have also bought the C510D,and when im sat at Home in the car with power running to the GPS, i also get a solid Yellow light,and it comes back with no search results

I drove into town centre and the light went green.you can also try driving near a motorway as they have lots of transmitters.
I then did a search with the light on Green and it came back with 2 results

1/ RAC Live: Lifetime Subscription
2/ V-Trafic: Not Activated

But when i click on the subscibe,it says im not subscribed to any and to go to www.garmin.com/fmtraffic and to enter my unit number.

I did go to there website and i enterd all my details on there form and it came up with Traffic master lifetime subscription $60.
which i dont understand because its suppose to be free

So i dont know if the RAC one is the automatic active one or
garmin have done somthing wrong on there site..

But aslong as you have the gps unti switched on with the powercable/transmitter cable plugged into the power socket
and the back of the unit, try driving to a motorway bridge and doing a search there once the light goes green, and see what comes up

Paul
stuart_rayner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a spin along the M62 this afternoon, with no joy. Mind you, I was watching where I was going rather than the status light! I did try to do a search near a particularly infamous (from a traffic point of view) junction where the M62 meets the M1, and still no luck Sad
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul ,tmc works off radio transmissions ,normally on the classic fm frequency...the blue poles you see on the motorway and 'a' roads are traffficmaster poles which work different..there are lots of threads re a problem receiving tmc and apparently the m4 corridor is a pretty bad reception area.. rac subscription is free, v traffic is the french version and should work when you are in france..
CreaTz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
rac subscription is free, v traffic is the french version and should work when you are in france..

Thanx for the reply Zogman

Is that free to everyone who picks the RAC one up ?
Or free to the C510D i bought and i dont have to subscribe to anything ?

is there somthing i still have to fill in to get this traffic info

i didnt realise that the info was recived via the classic FM trasmission
i thought it was FM transmitters around major towns and Motorways

Paul
stuart_rayner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been reading about the TMC problems others have had. Kind of depressing, as my justification for buying a Sat Nav in the first place was accurate, reliable traffic.

Starting to wish I had opted for the TomTom one instead. Their GPRS service is pricey, but at least it is reliable by all accounts.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: