Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Plus Services - GPRS compatibilty with '3' Network!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Plus Services - GPRS compatibilty with '3' Network!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiMoult
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: TomTom Plus Services - GPRS compatibilty with '3' Network!! Reply with quote

I recently purchased the TomTom One V2 with Eoropean Mapping and decided to purchase the ''traffic'' subscription as well as the speed camera updates. I checked my phone was compatible and went along with the purchase at around 50 euro. However I appeared unable to connect through my GPRS via bluetooth and after several emails with TomTom support and my network provider ''3'' it appears my network does not support the TomTom GPRS services. TomTom Customer Support have basically said ''tough-you purchased it-agreed to the terms-and no refund is possible''. They also said that within their policy when purchasing it states that you should check your phone and network compatibility. When I purchased through my TomTom Home software they make no reference to agreeing to any terms-they just say add to cart and pay! I am having extreme difficulty in getting through to them that they completetly miss-sell there services and don''t provide the correct information when offering for sale their products. Has anyone else had similiar problems?? They said that I am still able to get the traffic info on my Laptop and dowload the updated speed camera database but what good is the traffic subscription on my laptop!! Any comments that I could challenge TomTom with would be most welcome! Thanks Evil or Very Mad
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to challenge Tomtom becuase your phone provider is c**p?.

Tomtom are providing you with a service, and as far as I am concerned you have no gripe with them, it is '3' that is the problem, if you had a diesel car and put unleaded petrol in it would you challenge the car makers?

You should have checked with your service provider first IMHO.

To old to die young.
SiMoult
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Classy56 but I don't think you get my gripe with TomTom - I agree '3' are cr@p in not providing a supported GPRS service but the problem I have with TomTom is that during the ordering process for the 'plus' services they mention NOTHING to to do with network compatibility - they just take your money. If i had agreed to their so called terms then I would agree with what you said.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only assume that Tomtom would have expected you to have checked before ordering, and perhaps they SHOULD mention that all networks are not compatible, perhaps someone on here who deals with Tomtom might be able to help you.

To old to die young.
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right...... on the back of this...... i have a TT 710 and a NOKIA 6280 - I managed to get the Services working by enabling the GPS Packect data transfer on my mobile by calling "3"... i had to call them a few times,, the call centre in India is no use and i managed to get a direct dial to the overflow call centre in Glasgow who enalbed it... I then used the 1 month free subcriions, but as i have not recently been doing a lot of "Work" driving i thought i would not take out the service...

Rickt
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiMoult wrote:
Thanks Classy56 but I don't think you get my gripe with TomTom - I agree '3' are cr@p in not providing a supported GPRS service but the problem I have with TomTom is that during the ordering process for the 'plus' services they mention NOTHING to to do with network compatibility - they just take your money. If i had agreed to their so called terms then I would agree with what you said.

Why didn't you try setting up the phone with bluetooth and then it would have automatically tried to establish a GPRS connection. You would have found that it failed (the same as me).
I would be interested to know how to get GPRS enabled though, as I notice from a previous post that the UK call centre has done it. I cannot get through to them though.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Being Contraversial Reply with quote

Just buy Orange, then you will have no problem!!!

David :D

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
SiMoult
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - will have to wait another 6 months for my contract to end though - on the positive side that will still leave me 6 months left on my traffic subscription Laughing
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Being Contraversial Reply with quote

deesoft wrote:
Just buy Orange, then you will have no problem!!!

David :D

Yes thats right! I bought an Orange PAYG and used it with a Nokia which I had got unlocked by THREE.
After pairing it with my TomTom One, it established a GPRS connection and configured itself within seconds (about 30). Work fine
It would still be nice to use my main phone via THREE though, as now I have to remember to carry both with me.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 network is perfectly compatible if you have a data plan that allows access, 3's normal web access only allows port 80.

If you add wireless web 56 you will find it works just fine.

Neil
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys..

above i said i had it working on my Nokia 6280 on "3" network... however... when i got my "TRAFFIC" working before i was using my NOKIA 6280 (Prior to getting a new one as it was faulty - 5 REPAIRS, then a replacment)

also i had my first TT 710 from Argos.... to cut a long story short.. My first TT 710 kept frezzing and i tried my chances at argos and they replaced the full item with a NEW one from stock...new product code etc...

So now i have just registered this with TT online and as this is a new item i now can use the TRAFFIC service on the 1 month trail again...

HOWEVER ---- when im setting this up with the latest TT version installed its hanging on 65% -- CHECKING WIRELESS DATA CONNECTION"

i have data enabled on my phone contract and so on....

Any ideas???

Rickt
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ideas.... i have been messing with its for the last few hours and cant seem to get it to work....

Any input would be good!

Rickt
marcustandy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really 'help' but I also get to 65% . . . . and then nothing else.

I am using a Nokia N80 on '3'.

I just gave up . . . . . . . . .

tomtom GO 910 owner.
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah mines on 65% now..... as we speak... if you leave it long enough it just fails.......

its doing my head in now!!!

i had it working before on a different Software version

one thing i have noticed with this new version of TT is you cant select manual...

I may revert back to the prevoius version.. (always back up before updating!!!!)

any others?
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With O2 mine always stopped at 65%, after many support e-mails to TomTom, who were helpful Wink , and several calls to O2 who just did not understand Crying or Very sad . I tried a friend's Vodafone, and it connected instantly. So I told O2 where they could stick it, and got a vodafone and it work perfectly.

Not much help if you have only just started with a phone provider.

Cheers
Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: