Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 assistance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 assistance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farcough
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 assistance Reply with quote

Greetings to one and all. I have bought an i3 as a crimbo pressie for my wife and have been downloading all of the firmware upgrades etc. I have a few questions - apologies if these have been asked before - if they have just give me the links and I'll follow (and yes I have been using the search facility!)

1) It seems to have been established that you cannot copy with any degree of success the TF card supplied with the newest units. However, when the memory becomes full, how can you install a larger TF card. I bought a 512 because it came with an adapter and a free card reader.

2) I have run the POI Loader and have looked back at the unit and it has installed a 'Custom' POI folder on the unit. Is this usual?

3) On the same theme, within the 'Custom' folder, there are (obviously) the POI's PLUS the GASTO's. Does the i3 read the GATSOs from this folder as well as the internal memory?

4) I have seen the thread about deleting POI from the unit with notepad ( 0,0,ignore ) but does this just ignore duplicates on the unit or does it force the unit to include POI in the search (i.e. not using 'Custom').

5) Can I have free membership?! Laughing

Thanking you all in anticipation.

farcough (AKA Dave)
westyorkshireguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have been told, you cannot copy the map data from the T/F as it is in secured part of the card.

I have 500 MB card too, and want to be able to use that! I will only be able to use that card when I upgrade the maps to version V9 early next year.

As for the POI folder, they will always be in the Custom folder on the Unit, whether it is from the internal memory or the TF card.
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 assistance Reply with quote

farcough wrote:
1) It seems to have been established that you cannot copy with any degree of success the TF card supplied with the newest units. However, when the memory becomes full, how can you install a larger TF card. I bought a 512 because it came with an adapter and a free card reader.
Firstly, let me say Welcome (in case no-one else has).
I think you'll find that the 256mb card that came with your i3 has around 60-80mb free, so you're unlikely to run out of room loading custom POI's.

If you are thinking of loading more maps, say of Europe or US, then yes a fresh 512mb card is your best bet. Be warned, don't over-write the mapping on your 256mb UK card without a back-up.

If you appear to be 'running out of room' on your i3 when loading MaFt's POIs and the speed camera files, then you're probably attempting to load straight to the i3 rather than to the card. To do this put the 256mb card from your i3 into the card reader and attach to your PC. Run the POILoader which will then see the card as a drive letter, rather than the i3. You can load many, many POI's this way with little or no danger of running out of room.

farcough wrote:
5) Can I have free membership?! Laughing
Good luck with that. Wink
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems
farcough
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that. The card reader seems to be working a treat so when Xmas comes the wife should be over the moon with her little toy - I hope!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poi loader first removes any custom points before uploading new ones. so if you upload the 'remove' poi (0,0,ignore) then it will remove any you have already uploaded to the internal memory - this will stop you getting any duplicates when you install to the TF card too.

unfortunately there is no way to 'join' the installed poi to the custom poi - the installed ones are actually included with the map data.

MaFt

ps - YES YOU CAN HAVE FREE MEMBERSHIP (if you are the 1st to submit a new static camera)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: