Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - diy poi for nuvi 350
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

diy poi for nuvi 350

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: diy poi for nuvi 350 Reply with quote

Hello
I have just bought the nuvi 350. I am interested in making my own sightseeing guide for Florence in Italy. I teach Physics and I am going
to Florence with my class of students in march 2007. I am interested
in making some poi that pops up when we are close to locations like the Gallileo House, the physics institute and other places where the great scientists lived or contributed to the city ( statues etc. ) I have not bought the optional travelguide - I guess that this anyway only has the normal sightseeing things like the 'goldsmith' bridge etc. But I would like my nuvi to to come up with some pictures and maybe a spoken message mp3 file. - Now my question - is this possible with the nuvi 350 ? - if yes where can I get a program for that ( or can I use excel ) and finally would it be an idea if all could contribute to a common file of their hometown / land
Finn
Denmark
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you install the POI Loader software, and look at it's Help File, it provides details of how to create a TourGuide file, which will use mp3 files to tell you about POIs as you visit them.

It will also display a JPG, so seems to do everything you want.
flys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: poiloader Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I have read the help file, but I am not sure which program I should use for editing poi. I have downloaded Easygps and GPSutility and GPStrackmaker but it seems that I only can set location - the mp3 with id-picture included how can I put that into a location. When I try EasyGPS wants an URL - not a file ??
But as you tell me - it seems that I can get what I want if I find out how to do it.
regards
finn
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow the instructions in the POI Loader help you must use MapSource to create the POI file, which creates the link to the mp3 correctly. Given this is a fairly new feature, I do not know which other POI editors support this field.

If EasyGPS wants a URL, it might well support the field - have you tried giving it a file name and seeing what happens? You can obviously create a POI close to your home, and attach a picture and mp3 file and see what happens...
flys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea. Mapsource - it seems that they have sold me a preinstalled europe map on the nuvi 350 - there was no cd in the box.
Is mapsource a program that includes the map or is it a program that uses map's as datafiles ?
regards finn
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, not all units ship with MapSource (Which is a program that can use the Garmin maps). However, if you search these forums, you'll find instructions on how to download a copy of MapSource for free (without the maps though) which you could use)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: