Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Entry level "automotive" GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Entry level "automotive" GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uviuar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Entry level "automotive" GPS? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm just lookin for your basic "never get lost in the city" GPS device. I'd prefer something handheld and portable more than a permanent dash mounted device, but im not sure they really make handheld devices with the street accuracy of in-car mounted devices. The handheld ones tend to be aimed more for hikers and such, providing only limitted city navigation (highways and roads). I want a GPS i can use for finding specific addresses in neighborhoods for example. It doesnt need to talk, or draw the earth in 3d or anything silly like that, just needs to be accurate down to the street level. It seems most GPS's require special maps to be downloaded for your area to get this level of detail?

Regardless, I'd like something at or under the $300 USD range. Does such a thing exist? I'm ok with using Ebay or buying used. If a dash mounted device is the only way to go, then I guess I'll consider it, but it must have battery support. I know some megellan devices only work when plugged in. I may need to remove it from my car and walk around with it.

Something else I'm curious about, would most of these units likely work in a small airplane? I'm a pilot, and while the planes i rent are usually outfitted with aviation grade GPS's, I would like the comfort of knowing I have a spare in my bag in the event something happens to the cockpit version. Of course I would be 4000-6000 ft high moving at 120-140 mph. Could most handheld/car gps's work under these conditions?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Entry level "automotive" GPS? Reply with quote

uviuar wrote:
Hi, I'm just lookin for your basic "never get lost in the city" GPS device. I'd prefer something handheld and portable more than a permanent dash mounted device,

I assume you mean something you can put in your pocket, rather than something tiny like a mobile phone?

Quote:

but im not sure they really make handheld devices with the street accuracy of in-car mounted devices. The handheld ones tend to be aimed more for hikers and such, providing only limitted city navigation (highways and roads).

Depends which shops you go to I guess. But yes the 'outdoors' types aren't really good for on road.

Quote:

I want a GPS i can use for finding specific addresses in neighborhoods for example. It doesnt need to talk, or draw the earth in 3d or anything silly like that, just needs to be accurate down to the street level.

There is a world of choice, most do talk too!

Quote:

It seems most GPS's require special maps to be downloaded for your area to get this level of detail?

On the contrary, most do not.

Quote:

Regardless, I'd like something at or under the $300 USD range. Does such a thing exist? I'm ok with using Ebay or buying used. If a dash mounted device is the only way to go, then I guess I'll consider it, but it must have battery support. I know some megellan devices only work when plugged in. I may need to remove it from my car and walk around with it.

May I suggest the TomTom ONE v2. It's rather more than your budget, but there's not much available for less than that.

Quote:

Something else I'm curious about, would most of these units likely work in a small airplane? I'm a pilot, and while the planes i rent are usually outfitted with aviation grade GPS's, I would like the comfort of knowing I have a spare in my bag in the event something happens to the cockpit version. Of course I would be 4000-6000 ft high moving at 120-140 mph. Could most handheld/car gps's work under these conditions?

The unit will have trouble 'locking on' to a particular road but other than that it should have no troubles.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Entry level "automotive" GPS? Reply with quote

uviuar wrote:
im not sure they really make handheld devices with the street accuracy of in-car mounted devices.... It seems most GPS's require special maps to be downloaded for your area to get this level of detail?

OK, there are a couple of different types:

Dedicated Street Navigation units like TomTom which have street maps included. These are primarily street navigation systems with limited battery life, not waterproof and are pretty much useless off road (ie plane, boat, walking).

Basic units (ie Garmin Etrex) which are simple GPS units for Geocaching and walking. They can also be used in a boat/plane/walking but their maps are basic and don't cover street level. Optional extra maps will add street level coverage but not all of them can calculate routes and give you directions.

Probably the best compromise for you would be something like the Garmin Quest which has a (claimed) 20 hour battery life, is water proof, can give turn by turn voice directions and comes with detailed streetmaps (although you have to choose the area you want to load in it's limited memory).

Quote:
Of course I would be 4000-6000 ft high moving at 120-140 mph. Could most handheld/car gps's work under these conditions?

Many street mapping GPS units are strictly street mapping only and get confused when you use them in a plane because they try and put you on a road all the time.

The thing I like about the Garmin Quest is that it has an "off road" routing option for use when boating or flying. You can have a route with waypoints, and it will give you compass headings, course to steer, cross track error, altitude, rate of climb etc. Most "street navigation" oriented units can't do this.

Good luck!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could consider the PDA option with external GPS (or intgral to the PDA) then progressively purchase the software you need.

1/ A car based package for road navigation.
2/ A topographical map for walking/ climbing etc.
3/ Aviation maps for flying.

The above would give you all three in a single device but you won't come close to a budget figure of $300, this would cost considerably more.
To waterproof the PDA have a look at the Otter box cases - Mike
uviuar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, I am suddenly intrigued with the new PDA GPS combo market that i've stumbled upon. I dont have a PDA, so buying one and then adding a conversion kit would blow the budget, however there are a few notable integrated GPS PDA's that im sure you guys are well aware of. Namely the ique 3xxx series, and the m3/m5. Anyone have a particular opinion about one or the other? The seem to go up in price accordingly, on ebay for around $220 USD - $330 USD. Every now and then a steal presents itself, one with 2gb SD card, or just a fancier model for less, etc etc, all still retaining that sexy sleek look of a pda with reason to carry it around in public.

I dont have a whole heck of a lot of use for a PDA, but i wouldnt mind having one, if not for the dual purpose role. Plus, being a PDA running a full fledged OS, this would probably grant me the added flexibility of adding new maps such as aviation and maritime rather than just being stuck with street level maps that get confused when you veer into open space (as someone mentioned).

Suggestions?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uviuar wrote:

I dont have a whole heck of a lot of use for a PDA, but i wouldnt mind having one, if not for the dual purpose role. Plus, being a PDA running a full fledged OS, this would probably grant me the added flexibility of adding new maps such as aviation and maritime rather than just being stuck with street level maps that get confused when you veer into open space (as someone mentioned).

Suggestions?

Dedicated units tend to be more reliable and less fuss as they only do one thing and have their GPS receivers integrated into the package.

However you are right, a PDA does allow you to add more software than just the driving navigation. Software such as memory map are very useful for off road stuff.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are after a cheap PDA then see if any of the mobile phone providers are selling them at a subsidised price in return for signing a 12 or 18 month rental contract with them.

I don't know if they do this in the USA but the practice is widespread in the UK - I got a PDA Phone for free (it's worth about £300) in exchange for switching mobile phone provider.
uviuar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I looked into the cell phone market for this already. While I was unable to determine if the technology was mature enough to provide the accuracy I desire, I couldnt switch if I wanted to. I have already signed a 2 year contract with another provider who offers no such GPS service no support the cell phones which do. (Here in the U.S. you have to have a GPS capable cell phone and a provider which supports that model phone to use service with them).

Anyway, I think I have a pretty good handle on what makes for a good GPS and what doesnt now. It looks as though I may end up spending more money than I thought, because the new SiRF chipsets are really essential if you want a GPS you can rely on no matter what. Minimum cost for a PDA with a sirf reciever is at least $350 and up.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
uviuar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if anyone has any particularly overlooked models of PDA's with the Sirf star II/III chip, post em here please. It's hard for me to find reviews on products that arent as splattered across the internet as garmin and Mobile Crossing and such. The asus A636 seems like a sweet lil dilly. And im sure there are dozens others that perhaps nobody has even heard of (whether or not thats a good thing).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few such devices listed HERE I have an Imate PDA-n which is a nice pocketable size unit, but the screen size is a little on the small size, have a read through the different specs, then I sugest trying a search within the forum for any additional information - Mike
uviuar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I realise most of you are based in Europe, and your opinions are probably related to items purchased in Europe, especially the UK. My question is, do i need to consider any of this before purchasing a GPS you recommend? For example, the site you linked to which has reviews of some nice sirf star 3 equipped GPS's, usually all come preloaded with UK maps. Will this pose a problem for me in the US? If i find one of these on ebay, can I just downoad the USA maps and overwrite the UK ones and essentially make it work like any PDA i would buy in the USA? The version of windows mobile installed isn't region locked or anything like that is it?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK/Europe maps are more expensive than the USA ones so you are best to go for a USA unit which should be a fair bit cheaper...

I don't think there's a difference between the USA and UK PDAs though once again, you guys probably get stuff a lot cheaper than us.
uviuar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump this, just wanted to let everyone know what I got, for future readers.

Mio P350. I love it. It's fast, it has all the multifunctionality i need, it picks up 9-10 satellites in under 10 seconds, it picks up enough satellites to get a position instantly, the moment i turn it on it's already tracking. It's very accurate, spedometer matches what it says is my current speed perfectly, etc etc. It's fun, and it's a beautiful little PDA. I didnt know it would be so small. The integrated GPS is completely seamless, you wouldnt even know it was there. This is definately a classy PDA meant to be slim and non-invasive. The screen also touches well with just your finger, so it really feels like a genuine TomTom when im punching in address in the car without a stylus.

As for GPS packages, I am using iGuidance right now. Like most software, it has been slightly off a couple of times in picking the best route, but otherwise it seems flawless. Aside from using NAVTEQ maps, the other really cool thing about their software is that it comes with a windows application that lets you choose how big of an area you want to upload to your PDA. No more 1.2gig maps of the entire continent whether you need it or not. I can fit a 50 square mile radius of my city in 6 megs, enough to just use internal memory. I ordered a 2gig SD card anyway, but I can easily fill several states worth of info in around 60megs.

Couple of other bennies:

Includes universal switching power supply for 120v-220v, with easy to replace adapters for every power source on the planet. So I can use this thing in Europe and the USA just fine. Car charger is also universal (all cars have the same outlet so this was a non-issue).

The rest of the specs can easily be read about online for those interested in Mio's products. But this one gets an A+ for me (now ill probably upgrade to the p5 or p7 series one day for wi-fi Smile ) Thanks for the help guys, adios.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: