Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - N20 first time start up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

N20 first time start up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: N20 first time start up Reply with quote

Ok, have got a new N20 which I haven't had a spare minute to turn on and get set up since I bought it. However this weekend I will be spending a couple of evenings in a hotel room (don't ask - it's very dull :D ) so I thought I could take my laptop and the N20 with me and get them set up. My questions are thus:

1) I assume that it will do some sort of 'first-fix' when first turned on - does it do this every time so when I get it home it will do it automatically again?

2) When first connecting to my laptop and installing Activesync (think I've got the latest version anyway) or Smart ST etc - does it want to connect to Navman to register or get new software etc? - if so, can I avoid this as I won't have a net connection. Can it be told to contact them again when I am home so it gets registered etc? Or is that going to be a nightmare and I can set up the N20 and then connect it all to laptop once home?

3) I would normally go and get it all set up in the car but as it'll be pitch black and no doubt and raining/sleting/snowing/hailing/hurricane (delete as applicable), is the GPS receiver sensitive enough to get a decent fix from inside? I've heard the SirfStar 3 can get a good fix indoors but can the N20 pull it off with it's implementation of the chip?

4) Do I need to do the net connection above to get the Navman speed cam database on it or is a version already on there? I want to get the PGPSW database running at a later date but there are quite a few posts on here of issues with it (especially if you install the new service pack?)

Well I think that's it - hate going away without a net connection but I refuse to pay the hotel rates for internet access - extortion!

Thanks for any replies sent back!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: N20 first time start up Reply with quote

stevem999 wrote:
Ok, have got a new N20 which I haven't had a spare minute to turn on and get set up since I bought it. However this weekend I will be spending a couple of evenings in a hotel room (don't ask - it's very dull :D ) so I thought I could take my laptop and the N20 with me and get them set up. My questions are thus:

1) I assume that it will do some sort of 'first-fix' when first turned on - does it do this every time so when I get it home it will do it automatically again?

Assumption correct - It may take up to 15 minutes for its first fix after purchase. If you then switch on at your home it may take longer than usual to get a fix. Thereafter, from my experience the N20 takes about 4/5 seconds to get a fix from a static position - if you are moving, then a tad longer. Why don't you switch it on at home, check its charged up and then when you get to your hotel, it will work quite quickly.

2) When first connecting to my laptop and installing Activesync (think I've got the latest version anyway) or Smart ST etc - does it want to connect to Navman to register or get new software etc? - if so, can I avoid this as I won't have a net connection. Can it be told to contact them again when I am home so it gets registered etc? Or is that going to be a nightmare and I can set up the N20 and then connect it all to laptop once home?

You can connect without being connected to the 'net. Registration is optional. You can register by phone or by card which is in the kit. or you can register by logging on to Navman. No hurry.

3) I would normally go and get it all set up in the car but as it'll be pitch black and no doubt and raining/sleting/snowing/hailing/hurricane (delete as applicable), is the GPS receiver sensitive enough to get a decent fix from inside? I've heard the SirfStar 3 can get a good fix indoors but can the N20 pull it off with it's implementation of the chip?

Won't matter if you are in the car in bad weather - the N20 has an illuminated screen & the weather will not effect it. Or do it indoors - not too far from the window through but it is pretty impressive.

4) Do I need to do the net connection above to get the Navman speed cam database on it or is a version already on there? I want to get the PGPSW database running at a later date but there are quite a few posts on here of issues with it (especially if you install the new service pack?)

I have overcome all the 'issues'. If you have a problem, let me know and I'll try to help. The Navman Speed Camera database is already installed. There is an upgrade available for the device (SP2) at the moment and that extends the Speed Camera data (Among other things) - you can download it and save it without installing at the moment if you wish.. Works OK on mine.

Well I think that's it - hate going away without a net connection but I refuse to pay the hotel rates for internet access - extortion!

Thanks for any replies sent back!

stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gee-Pee. I tried it out briefly over the weekend. Got a fix within a minute or so by being near a window! Was impressed that it showed the tiny access road to the leisure centre and hotel where I was.

Should I now go ahead and load in Service Pack 2 or not? Does it add any functionality other than perhaps newer cameras? I've seen your other posts about having to edit the camera data etc to get it to work. It seems a shame that this is necessary.

Anything else I should know?

Oh, by the way, how do you change setting on camera such as distance before camers it alerts you etc? Is it in Smart ST as I haven't installed that yet?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevem999 wrote:
Thanks Gee-Pee. I tried it out briefly over the weekend. Got a fix within a minute or so by being near a window! Was impressed that it showed the tiny access road to the leisure centre and hotel where I was.

Should I now go ahead and load in Service Pack 2 or not? Does it add any functionality other than perhaps newer cameras? I've seen your other posts about having to edit the camera data etc to get it to work. It seems a shame that this is necessary.

Anything else I should know?

Oh, by the way, how do you change setting on camera such as distance before camers it alerts you etc? Is it in Smart ST as I haven't installed that yet?

Last first! On your N20 go to Alerts.You should get a list of the Safety camera (POIs) you have loaded and the default Safety Camera loaded by Navman. Click on each POI and you get a display with options including the distance from the camera when you wish to get the alert. Touch the "With and Audible alert" to put a tick in that box and same with "Display" and "Visual Alert".

Also, you can do the same thing in SmartST in the POI Editor (Map - POI Editor).
Please note though , that the Smart ST Desktop is rather slow so please wait for it to load fully before using it. Mine takes about 3 to 4 minutes to full load. Synchronise your N20 AFTER loading the SmartST Desktop and when asked. (A clue to when you SmartST is loaded is that the maps loaded on your device - say GB will turn yellow on the screen)

Yes, Load the SP2 - it seems to work OK for most people. When you load SmartST Desktop, Go to the "Check for Updates" box in the top right of the screen. This will take you to the Navman site to download SP2 and there you will be able to read what SP2 does for your Navman.

Although I have had some hiccups with my device, these were inherent in my personal unit. It has been changed by Navman and now works OK.

Good luck - come back and either I or one of the other Forum members will help you Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: