Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Converting File formats and maps of Corfu
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting File formats and maps of Corfu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Converting File formats and maps of Corfu Reply with quote

Hi, I'm off to Corfu next week to feed the mozzies Laughing and the mapping there is a little sparce.Does any one have any of the place or have any interesting POI's/Waypoins for a Garmin or know if it is possible to convert .jpg ,tif or gif files to .map to use in OZiExplorer as I have some basic maps in these formats?? I dont need them to be routeable as its only a small Island but I would like to plot some points/ tracks on the PC to transfer to the GPS.

Thanks

Dave
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late for your hols (hope you had a good time) but...

You use .JPG / .BMP whatever to create you own maps in OZIExplorer. That's the neat thing about it.

The down side to this is that you need two (better if you have more ) known locations - i.e. you know the lat/lon for these locations.

OZIExplorer (on PC) will then calibrate these 'maps'. You need to know other information also - the datum in use for the lat/lon positions you have (eg WGS 84) and the map projection (e.g. mercator) so that accurate results may be obtained.

You can then use these on your PC ( laptop) directly with your GPS unit or convert them and download to PPC unit and use OZIExplorerCE.

Phil
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use .JPG / .BMP whatever to create you own maps in OZIExplorer. That's the neat thing about it.

The down side to this is that you need two (better if you have more ) known locations - i.e. you know the lat/lon for these locations.

OZIExplorer (on PC) will then calibrate these 'maps'. You need to know other information also - the datum in use for the lat/lon positions you have (eg WGS 84) and the map projection (e.g. mercator) so that accurate results may be obtained.

You can then use these on your PC ( laptop) directly with your GPS unit or convert them and download to PPC unit and use OZIExplorerCE.

Phil
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZIExplorer doesn't do routing (a la Tomtom) but once your map is calibrated you can put waypoints on it and use these for navigation purposes (or download to your GPS).

Phil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: