Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310D Crashes due to POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310D Crashes due to POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WOODI2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 310D Crashes due to POI's Reply with quote

Has anyone had any trouble with POI's crashing their NUvi 310?

I'm new at this stuff, however I've done my research but cannot understand this one.

I've downloaded POI's from MaFt's site and they work fine. I added to this list from other sites and in all the file size was around 6.5Mb. I know this is a lot of POI's but they are for europe as well. Anyway, I'm now on my 4th unit as all 3 others have died completely and the only common theme is these POI's. Does anyone know of a limit to POI's? Has nyone else had this problem?

I know I wasnt overloading the unit as their was 150Mb spare. I'm also having the same TMC problems as everyone else but I'll leave that for the other topic.

Also developed a new fault on this 4th unit (from Halfords) and since getting it today this looks like a unit thats been returned as it wasnt packaged correctly and has been customized. With this unit, the car does not drive on the road and wanders off around the screen and when you add the house number and click done the unit dies. These units are trying my patience but I do like them. Do I stick with it?

Thanks for any replies.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try sticking with it. I would perform a full reset of the unit, load the latest non Beta firmware, and not add any additional POIs to it. Try it like this for a week or so and see if it behaves.

I've got roughly 50,000 POIs loaded on my Nuvi without problems, however, a 6Mb POI file must be pushing 100,000 POIs, which might be causing it memory problems (which might explain some of the problems you are having) - hence my suggestion of removing all custom POIs and trying it again.

The problem is that the 150Mb spare is for a variety of things - POIs, mp3 tracks, Audible tracks, additional maps, and the Travel Guides (which get loaded into that spare space as part of putting the SD card into the Nuvi). As such, just because there is space doesn't imply the Nuvi can handle all that space being used on POIs.

I've never heard of this problem, especially not to 4 units, so I do think it may be something to do with the changes you are making to it. As I say, run it without them for a while (if you need speed cameras, just load the PGPSW UK speed camera database, which definitely does not cause problems.

Finally, are you updating the firmware to the latest with each new unit?
WOODI2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firmware updated to version 2.9 on all units.

I am going to stick with it and you are correct that it is pushing on 100000 POI's. The problem is once they are on and the unit crashes, it is no longer operable. Does not boot up, does not connect to PC, will not even stay on unless its plugged into a supply. One thing it does do, when you can get it to, is it starts up and then displays loading waypoints and then says loading maps and it just sits there. I've even left it plugged into the PC overnight and the next morning it still says loading maps. I've tried the standard reset pushbutton and switching it on and off but to no avail. I think I'll just have to live with a shortened version of POI's for now.

Thanks for the reply though.

By the way swing, I have the same TMC problems as most, sometimes receive and sometimes not. How do you get into the 'secret' menu to find what signal strength you have. I know the were you hold your finger in the top right of the screen for a few seconds but cannot find anything that states the TMC receiver strength.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, do you have any additional maps loaded onto the unit (and if so, loaded to the Nuvi itself, or onto the SD card). I've now found one other person with a similar problem of lockup on "loading maps", which is where it loads both the maps and the POIs.

To get into the secret menu, go to the main "View Map" screen, and then press the bottom left hand corner (this takes you to the statistics page). Once there, press and hold the Average Speed for about 6 seconds. You then need to press Next 6 times.

Please be very careful, there are some options you can select in here which might cause you to come back with more (short term) problems. However, the value you are looking for is the Level value on that screen.

To go back to normal, simply press Quit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: