Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest 2 freezing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest 2 freezing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Quest 2 freezing Reply with quote

I have a problem with my Q2 as it does part of a route and just freezes. I first noticed this the other day as I made a route with mapsource of approx 180 miles and it froze part way through the route I did not notice at first untill I realised it was not counting down the miles to next turn this was ok when I switched off and on again. Today I did a 220 mile round trip and the unit froze twice and on one occation the screen went blank after attempting to switch the unit off and on although the voice directions were still coming through. Eventually after taking the unit off the bike I managed to get it going again. The only thing I have done with the Quest2 is update to V 2.60 from 2.50 unfortunatly I have never done any long trips with 2.50 installed so don't know if this is the cause or not. Anybody got any idea's? or am I doing something stupid??
adrianh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Does this not come down to the similar problem I had with the MapSource generated route? Do you have many "via" points like I had or are there only a few? I think we must be on the edge of the max points usable??
I haven't generated a long local route containing alot of waypoints to test here in the UK, only used the auto routing facility and haven't had any hassle thusfar.

Cheers

Adrian
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian
thanks for the quick reply I used the route tool on the route as i wanted to go on certain roads there are 14 via points on the route which i do on the PC and then download to the Quest via USB cable are you saying that I would be better making a route on the PC using waypoints instead of the routing tool? and then downloading to Q2 I can not find how to attach the route here so you can look at it. The only thing that is slightly unusual is the start point and end point are the same ie starting at friends house and doing round trip finishing at friends house. I am testing the unit on known roads as like yourself I am doing a big tour on bike in July to Europe and would like to have confidence in the unit.

cheers Bob
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best to use via rather than way points as in practice there are no limits on the number you use

Have had similar problems when starting and finishing at the same waypoint - I now have an alternative waypont for my HOME and use it as the start point. This then still allows to direct route HOME by holding down the FIND button
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kritou
thanks for your input I wondered if having 2 points the same i.e start and finish has upset the unit I have done a hard reset of the unit today and have put a route in via PC but as you suggest to a point on the route and when I reach that point (coffe break Wink ) I'll ask it to find home am just waiting for the boys to turn up on the bikes and will post when I get back from the mission if it works or no
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kritou
mission accomplished not one glitch on unit only did 79 mile trip so will get up and plan longer trip in the morning once I find out were the weather will be kindest.

cheers Bob
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its at it again did 115 mile trip and it froze twice on me I am begining to think it might be getting spiked sometimes from battery will phone to speak to GPS warehouse or Garmin in the morning.
scribe29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Garmin Freezing Reply with quote

I have been having this problem also. Recent trip to France the Quest 2 froze after every turn point. Very frustrating leading 10 bikes through Amiens! My route only had one Via Point in it. I have not had a response from Garmin yet!.
The unit works fine if you calculate routes without via points. I also think it might have something to do with POI's I have loaded because a mate has same Quest but no POI's loaded and his doesn't seem to Freeze.

Have you had any news from Garmin?
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi scribe29
Sorry you are having problems it is most frustating I have replied on an other post I too am off to France leading only 6 bikes so hope it does not do the same as yours.

cheers Bob
Schnitzergs
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had freezing problem & am also waiting for Garmin response. I've had some other problems with it and the Garmin guys were great at sorting it out for me so I expect they will come up with an answer before too long. In the meantime I tried a full reset as per the Quest First Aid tips on http://www.elsinga.org/quest-first-aid.html. Followed by reloading deleted data and so far, so good but I'm not yet 100% confident all's well. The redraw rate seems to have become very slow to the point where I have had to stop & wait for it to catch up in some complicated sections but it hasn't frozen. I think slow redraw is a general Quest2 issue, for sure it has always been a bit slugish. Overall I still think it is a neat unit but I am hoping that Garmin have an upgrade on the way to speed it up.
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using custom POI's and if so, from what source? I have the idea that we should look for the source there...

I know of some 2720's which hang if radartraps from www.flitspaal.nl are encountered and also of a Quest2 with POI's from the same source that hangs... and mine never does (radratraps from www.radarfalle.de).

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
Schnitzergs
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only custom Poi's I have is the speed camera data base downloaded off here and I update it regularly. I updated after the reset so I suppose it may be that the problem came from the previous set but I did wonder about that when it froze and checked if any POI's where nearby. There didn't seem to be a correlation. One lock up was preceded by a blank screen but voice guidance and alarms continued. I pulled over and reset and it worked fine for a while then froze again. I used it again yesterday and still seems fine after the full reset.

By the way - I am going to Assen for the MotoGP but haven't found a Garmin camera POI file. Is it a big worry over there?
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the Quest2 will not draw a screen for minutes (I can reproduce that on a strecht of the A6 near Almere heren in the Netherlands), which looks like a hangup but actually isn't. You also might have encountered that...

And, going to Assen for any motor even on the TT citcuit... no need for a speedcam database, since the police will 110% for sure have radartraps on all access roads tens of kilometers around Assen. Speeding will be quite expensive those days...

But, if you still want one: www.flitspaal.nl has a free one (just need to register).

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
Schnitzergs
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I will post an update when I get a response from the Garmin.
scribe29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will try the hard reset too as I haven't yet. I am trying to get some kind of definite reason for the lock ups because I don't think it was just long delays in the re-drawing. I have seen that happen but the other info kept updating eg Distance to next turn. I only use the unit on battery on the bike and thought that might be a reason because it doesn't seem to be locking when I use it in the car. Never had any of these probs with my GPS V.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: