Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oznav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!! Reply with quote

Hi

I have recently purchased a brand new Holux GR 236 and have been plagued by problems since day 1. The GPS receiver requires it to be switched on upwards of 4-5 times before it starts working and has low battery life. There are numerous other postings regarding this exact same problem from other people experiencing the same issue. From other comments it appears to a firmware problem (although nothing stopping Holux from shipping them out).

What is more annoying is that 3 e-mailed requests to the so called Holux support site have thus far remained unanwered. This does not say much about their "valued" customers who have purchased a product under a "illusory" warranty where neither the useless receiver can be used or support provided on a defective product.

May I suggest prospective purchasors buy elsewhere from companies that do not sell defective products and meet their obligations. Shame Holux, shame!!!

Regards
Oznav
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have tried ringing holux uk there normally very helpful

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Sorry to hear you're not happy with your purchase.

Can I ask which retailer you've purchased the unit from & who you have contacted for assistance?

Regards,
Julie
oznav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!! Reply with quote

Hi Julie,

Thanks for responding. It's unfortuanate that consumers have to resort to such activities to try and get support for defective products manufactured by Holux. The receiver was purchased brand new through e-bay, but as you get to learn in life, people respond to inquiries prior to funds being transferred, but you only get the automated responses after that when raising an issue concerning a warranty claim.

Additionally I have sent e-mails to the following addresses that were listed at the Holux site where I have had no response from either:

info@holux.com.tw and
debbie@guidetek.com.tw

Regards
Oznav
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the information. I have brought your issue to the attention of Holux Tech's support team & I am sure they will contact the retailer in question and ask them to provide you with the support you require.

From what you have posted it would appear that the device you have may have the old firmware in, as this would account for the TTFF problem you are stating. This can be upgraded by the user and is available on request. With regards the battery issue you are experiencing this may be a fault and could be replaced under warranty after being tested by the retailer.

With regards your comments about the manufacturer shipping defective products I feel that your comments are unjustified. The GR236 had a firmware upgrade last year - should the retailer that you purchased the device from have old stock which they have not upgraded or returned, then that is an issue with the retailer not the manufacturer.

With reference to the need to resort to posting comments on forums to get support, I would advice people to read the forum before making their puchase - that way they would be able to make a better informed choice with regards the retailer they decide to buy from, ensuring that they get the best possible after sales service.

Should your local authority not have emptied your bin can I suggest that you retrieve the GPS and await the response from the retailer, who I am sure will replace the unit with a new one, allowing you to see how well the current model functions.
miroha1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM-HoluxUK wrote:

This can be upgraded by the user and is available on request.

Hi Julie,

It seems that I'm in a same situation as oznav.
I wrote a PM to you, to my supplier Nav4all... No reply...
May be it would make sense to simplify access to this software upgrade?

JM-HoluxUK wrote:

With regards your comments about the manufacturer shipping defective products I feel that your comments are unjustified.

Sorry, we might be too emotional, but beliewe me, after 10 times switching it on-off sometimes I feel like I want to throw it to a wall. :-))
Other time - I like it so much, it's so good...

I think the product is good, but this version of software makes
too much trouble for customers like we.
I hope that sooner or later we'll get an update and our life will be much easyer.

Regards,
Andrew
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,
Not sure why Holux Tech don't post the firmware on their website for all customers to download.

The reason we don't is quite simple really - if the user mucks it up it normally becomes our problem to put it right! When downloading the firmware from our FTP site you are asked to agree to our T's & C's stating that we are not held responsible for the upgrade should it fall over during installation. We do offer an upgrade service, which for those folks who have purchased from us or one of our authorised retailers is free of charge.

Can I just point out that Nav4All's T's & C's prohibit the user from carrying out upgrades if they wish to take advantage of the warranty they offer - this has been brought to my attention by Holux Tech's support team & I feel you should be aware of this.

I appreciate that emotions ride high when you've spent £70 on a device that you want to work first time every time - beleive me blood pressure raises when I read postings that slate a product, that is one of the best available, because of an overseas retailer not supporting the customer!

I'll sort out a log on for the ftp site and will pm the details to you - apologies for the lack of response.

Julie
oznav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!! Reply with quote

Hi Julie,

I see there are many others with the same problem which then begs the question that if it was a known problem, why not stop selling the affected units or have them recalled?

Imagine if you had just purchased a car with a serious fault. Ordinarily most of the car makers would recall the product and rectify the problem. You have stated that most potential buyers should read the forums and use this to information in making a decision before buying. So in effect what you are saying is that previous purchasors should alert potential buyers. Why not as a manufacturer provide this warning on your official website?

I have copied the orginal warranty card that is not available on your website. This card was supplied with the unit that states the following -

Warranty Information
Thank you for your purchase of this GPS product from HOLUX
HOLUX Technology, Inc. warrants this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. The warranty for accessories is six months. The stamp of distributor or a copy of the original sales receipt is required as the proof of purchase for warranty repairs. HOLUX will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components, which fail in normal use. Such repairs or replacement will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor. The customer is, however, responsible for any transportation costs.
All users are eligible to download a free upgrade of the software attached to the product. An additional fee could be charged, however, while a significant change of the software has been made.
This warranty does not cover failures due to abuse, misuse, accident or unauthorized alteration of repairs. HOLUX assumes no responsibility for special, incidental, punitive or consequential damages, or loss of use".

After reading the other users comments where a problem has been identified with many other users concerning a batch of defective GPS receivers, the warranty states that this is warranty issue that would be fixed by Holux free of charge.

When reviewing your prior comments regarding this known problem, you indicated that it could be sent back to Holux where a firmware upgrade would be completed to fix a the defective HOLUX receiver at a cost of 10 pounds, in addition to postage costs there and back. It appears that what you are saying in this case is that although the unit is defective, you will be charged to fix it.

I agree with your views concerning full disclosure regarding the known problems associated ith GR 236 where you have indicated that potential purchasors should review the information from prior purchasors before making a decision to buy any Holux products. Allow me to assist Holux where I will be more then happy to assume the responsibility to inform other potential users on other related forums and unlike your requirements where you have indicated that there is charge to fix these defective units, my work will be on pro bono basis, or free of charge.

Will I be allowed acces to the ftp site to download the firmware after having to purchase an additional cable to fix a problem that should never have existed, or would you recommend purchasing another GPS receiver from a more reputable manufacturer that honours their warranty?

Cheers and thanks for your assistance
Oznav
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!! Reply with quote

From Holux-uks point of view your receiver is a grey import. Why should they support it. As most people are very fond of quoting the sales of goods act your contract is with the seller. Im sure theres a post on here that says Holux-UK are not the manufacturers either. The reason you bought it on ebay was because it was cheaper this is probably one of the reasons why. There is a sticky post annountment from holux along similar lines I think.

My Gr-236 has been faultless in the time Ive had I'm sorry you havent had the same experience as I think its the best on the market. I'd recommend it to anyone reading this. Although not one from ebay obviously.

oznav wrote:
Hi Julie,

I see there are many others with the same problem which then begs the question that if it was a known problem, why not stop selling the affected units or have them recalled?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not knowing the exact circumstances of this case, the comments posted do highlight some of the problems you may experience with 'grey' imports or internet sales.

In this life, you rarely get something for nothing, and the apparently great prices can be due to old stock and/or poor/no support. (I accept that this is not always the case and that some outfits offer excelent support along with great prices).

Another unfortunate thing is the way that businesses are run, with official importers often having sole rights to distribute a companies product in a specific region, and quite understandably including the products name within their own because that may be all the company does. But legally (and morally) expecting them to sort things out is no diferrent to buying something on holiday abroad, and expecting Currys to sort it out if it goes wrong, simply because they sell the same product.

You also have the issue of diferrent levels of support for different markets (sometimes due to legislation - as typified by the overider in many T&Cs saying that certain exclusions may not apply) which can affect the wholesale price for diferrent markets. What you are getting is some people buying in the cheapest market and selling in a more expensive one - but the support has never been paid for - or paid to an unrelated company (possibly even with a similar name) in another Country.

This is not to say that many companies will not help you out, after all you may buy something from them next time, but since they are not obliged to, always remember to ask for help as politely as possible - never demand it.
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replies to your comments:

Quote:
the question that if it was a known problem, why not stop selling the affected units or have them recalled

Holux UK did exactly that & as I stated we offer a FREE upgrade service to our customers. Holux Tech also made the same offer to their retailers & distributors. Most of the distributors offer the same service to there customers & retailers.

Holux Tech are aware of the problem that customers are having with Nav4All & a couple of the retailers based in China/Tiawan who are still supplying old stock with the old firmware. If you are having a problem with one of these retailers please feel free to write an email to Holux Tech's support team.

Quote:
Why not as a manufacturer provide this warning on your official website?

If you read the forum you will see that I do make statements with regards any problems with Holux products sold to our customers. I have not had cause to issue a product recall or you would see a statement on the Holux UK website. If we do have an issue with a device we stop shipping it - for example the GR213 was withheld when we were advised of the hardware issue, we then replaced any faulty units free of charge. With regards the firmware issue of the GR236, this was addressed when it first became apparent that there was a TTFF issue, over 8 months ago.

Quote:
fixed by Holux free of charge

It states, as you correctly point out "HOLUX Technology, Inc", not Holux UK Limited or any other Holux distributor. As I have pointed out, several times, we offer the upgrade service FREE of charge to our customers or the customers of our authorised dealers. I have had this discussion before and at risk of repeating myself - I do not offer a free service to customers who have not purchased from us or one of our authorised dealers as I make no profit from the sale of the receiver!

By all means continue to share your thoughts & comments with others users on other forums. Can I point out to you & ask you to share the fact that a representative from Holux UK is trying to assit you even though you have not purchased the unit from them or one of their authorised dealers. We do offer an aftersales service that most of our customers are extremely happy with - you can read this on this forum as well!

Quote:
Will I be allowed acces to the ftp site

I can arrange a log on for you to the downloads area of our site, simply PM me with the serial number of your unit & your email address - this offer is made to anyone wishing to obtain the upgrade from us, as I have previously stated.

Quote:
purchase an additional cable

The upgrade can be performed via bluetooth should you have a bluetooth enabled laptop or desktop PC, otherwise yes you would need to obtain a USB data cable should you wish to perform the upgrade yourself. Alternatively contact Holux Technology Inc who will perform the upgrade free of charge.

Quote:
fix a problem that should never have existed

I'm not aware of any electronics company that does not issue firmware upgrades to improve their device or fix a fault that is found by the use of a device in real time environment.

Quote:
recommend purchasing another GPS receiver from a more reputable manufacturer that honours their warranty

I would recommend purchasing a receiver from a retailer who will support you & offers a quality aftersales service. The manufacturer of the receiver that you have purchased will honour the warranty should you wish to make a warranty claim.

I look forward to receiving your PM with your contact details and being able to assist you further.

Julie
oznav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!! Reply with quote

HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!!

I think you are missing the point. In terms of getting the receiver fixed, forget it. I have already written it off as a bad experience where I will NEVER EVER buy a substandard product from Holux or it's distributors again. Simple as that.

There are many more more capable manufacturers out there who make good products fit for their intended use and honour their warranty irrespective of where it came from.

My biggest regret was not reviewing the forum to assess the experience of others with the garbage Holux sells. In the end it was quicker using my street directory. The posts are littered with people who have experienced similar complaints and clealy demonstrates they were flogging a half baked product and have made no attempt to rectify the problem, answer their support e-mail line (I can only assume there is auto delete wizard on their e-mail client where the only means I even had to get them to respond was by posting my experiences here. Others have stated the exact same thing and a manufacturer like that does not deserve consumers for its products).

It's great you got an operational unit, it's not that there are many others in my position and I am sure your tune would have changed had you bought a new car from Ford or whoever that exploded. In that case would your issue have been with the distributor who was selling the item or the manufacturer?.

I can answer this question by stating that you would have been pursuing the manufacturer for the DUD product they unleashed through whatever channels on the market.

My prior receiver was a Haicom unit that worked perfectly and ho had a great support line. I am now off for some repeat business with them.

Cheers
Oznav
oznav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!! Reply with quote

Hi

Does anyone know how I can delete my last posting. I may have been a bit harsh and was overwhelmed by emotions as the amount of time that I have wasted on this problem is beyond belief.

Cheers
Oznav
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM-HoluxUK wrote:
Quote:

Not sure why Holux Tech don't post the firmware on their website for all customers to download.

The reason we don't is quite simple really - if the user mucks it up it normally becomes our problem to put it right! ... We do offer an upgrade service, which for those folks who have purchased from us or one of our authorised retailers is free of charge.

So if the firmware upgrade fails, is the recever a total loss or can it be sent to Holux to be repaired?
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes it can be sorted.
You need to perform a hardware reset on the device which involves taking the unit apart so its not something that the user should be attempting.
Regards,
Julie

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: