Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tourguide for speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tourguide for speed cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Tourguide for speed cameras Reply with quote

Has anyone considered using the tourguide feature as a speed camera warning so that the device plays an mp3 that says 'Reduce speed to 30mph now" or similar when you approach the cameras?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tourguide for speed cameras Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
Has anyone considered using the tourguide feature as a speed camera warning so that the device plays an mp3 that says 'Reduce speed to 30mph now" or similar when you approach the cameras?
Yes, I've considered whether or not it could be used, and how it might be useful. I can see someone like Ash modifying his camera loader to still produce the speed files for overspeed warnings, but instead of duplicating every camera for the first warning (and display on the screen) he could use a tourguide option.

However, I think you would need to select the tourguide on every journey, and I'm not sure if you can have a separate route planned at the same time (after all, the tourguide is the route you should be following), so I don't think it's going to work.

What could work though, it that the latest POI Loader / firmware versions support the gpx files that Ash creates having mp3 files in them, instead of just using the "bong bong" sounds - for the models which support this, Ash could have spoken speed warnings instead. I believe Ash is aware of this new feature, but may or may not be planning to add support for it (the majority of his users are i3 users, who can't use the mp3 facilities).
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be keen to know if garmin have a developer site with details of the gpx format and how to use such features as the tourguide
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
I'd be keen to know if garmin have a developer site with details of the gpx format and how to use such features as the tourguide

kind of... they sent this email out when they announced the (then) upcoming tourguide features:

Quote:
Dear Third Party POI producer,

Garmin has launched the TourGuide feature for the nüvi series and the SP2820.

What is Garmin TourGuide(TM)?

With an evolution of the POI Loader software, third-party developers will be able to create and load special Garmin TourGuide POIs, which turn compatible Garmin units into personal, electronic tour guide. These POIs would have an audio file associated with them. When you pass by a TourGuide POI with your compatible Garmin unit, the TourGuide audio file begins playing automatically. Garmin TourGuide has so many different applications: you can use it for bus tours, hotels, rentals, real estate sales - the possibilities are endless!

Garmin TourGuide POIs are currently compatible only with the nüvi(TM) and the StreetPilot® 2820.

How does Garmin TourGuide work?

You must have a compatible Garmin unit with the latest software, the latest POI Loader software, and the latest version of MapSource in order to create and load Garmin TourGuide POIs. Download the latest POI Loader software. Then, consult the POI loader help file for details on how to create and load Garmin TourGuide files to your Garmin unit.

Are you, as a Garmin Third Party POI provider, interested in creating Garmin compatible TourGuide files?

If yes, we can provide you with a copy of the new POI Loader software.

What are we asking in exchange?

You are kindly requested to create a webpage on your website specifically for the download of the TourGuide files that you might be able to produce and we would like to link that page to our website in an appropriate TourGuide section.

Please, let me know asap if you are interested in becoming a participating TourGuide provider.

Best regards,

Laura

ash may have to edithis software in such a way that the gpx's created will work on units even without the TG feature... i had to send my nuvi 360 back to garmin (boo hiss) so never had a chance to play with the TG feature... maybe if someone lent ash their tourguide compatible device then he'd be able to knock something up?

MaFt
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
maybe if someone lent ash their tourguide compatible device then he'd be able to knock something up?

Better still, club together and buy me one! Laughing
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if PocketGPSWorld would consider providing some funds to key software developing members or allowing people to make an additional donation with their membership? They might also be able to get long term review models or strike a deal with gps suppliers for developers.......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: