Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is Co Pilot dangerous to use ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Co Pilot dangerous to use ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Is Co Pilot dangerous to use ? Reply with quote

Tongue in cheek really, but, looking at the latest version of the safety camera warning display, why on earth is the current speed shown so very small ? I mean, you get a warning, say 500 yards ahead, and you need a quick glance to see what speed you're at....but it's barely legible. The guys that write this stuff...do they actually use it ? For heaven's sake, why don't they highlight it in a nice big red circle, say the size of a 5p or 10p piece ? Just too difficult I suppose. Perhaps they only use TT with POI warner, then you'd see what I mean.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your current speed is not displayed clearly in Red (as per the ALK newsletter), because there is a problem in the styles files in the main program directory on your PPC.

If you look in styles.cfg (and nightstyles.cfg) there is an entry:
[Basic\SafetyCameraAlertText]
"FontColor"="RED"
etc.
If the entry is changed to:
[Basic\SafetyCameraAlertTextRed]
"FontColor"="RED"
etc.
Your current speed will display in red, rather than white with a black border, and be much easier to read.

I haven't tried it, but it is possible that the "FontColor" could be changed to another colour if you wished.
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: CP speed warning! Reply with quote

Er! have I missed something here? The camera warnings AFAIK are not the speed rating of the camera (unless someone has found an easy way of using the 'other' database i.e. not the single file one) they are the current (inaccurate) speed of the vehicle so when you hear a warning the place to look is your car speedometer ~ isn't it? Confused
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CP speed warning! Reply with quote

Searcher22 wrote:
The camera warnings AFAIK are not the speed rating of the camera ... they are the current (inaccurate) speed of the vehicle so when you hear a warning the place to look is your car speedometer ~ isn't it? Confused

Not, in theory. The GPS-detected speed should be far more accurate than your car's speedometer. However, it is better to note the difference between the two, and mentally adjust your reading of the car's speedometer accordingly. I always display the speed on the second line from the bottom of the CoPilot screen.

In my case, the car overestimated it's speed by 1mph, but underestimated it by 1mph after replacing the rear tyres (it is rear-wheel drive car). Nearly all cars, with smaller wheels and lower tyre pressures than my 18" ultra-low profile, will overestimate their speed and, on older cars, by quite an extent.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CP speed warning! Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
Searcher22 wrote:
The camera warnings AFAIK are not the speed rating of the camera ... they are the current (inaccurate) speed of the vehicle so when you hear a warning the place to look is your car speedometer ~ isn't it? Confused

Not, in theory. The GPS-detected speed should be far more accurate than your car's speedometer. However, it is better to note the difference between the two, and mentally adjust your reading of the car's speedometer accordingly. I always display the speed on the second line from the bottom of the CoPilot screen.

In my case, the car overestimated it's speed by 1mph, but underestimated it by 1mph after replacing the rear tyres (it is rear-wheel drive car). Nearly all cars, with smaller wheels and lower tyre pressures than my 18" ultra-low profile, will overestimate their speed and, on older cars, by quite an extent.

Hi Ian

It was my understanding that as the GPS (for civil use?) has a resolution of 100ft and because that was so "coarse" speed measurement was inaccurate.

In respect of the car speedometer, yes as you say the total size of the wheel will affect the readings but there has always been a tolerance 'built in' to accomodate over or underinflated types. It is only when as you point out, if you alter the overall size of the wheel/tyre there will be a 'permanent' variance.

From what I can recall in the days of direct linked analogue speedometers they had a tolerance of -2 to + 5mph and that was taken into account with the Police measurements. Having said that I have not seen such detail for modern methods (digital?) of speedometer readings. Indeed, has there ever been a reliable statement on what "over speed" the various cameras will tolerate before they take your picture?

Smile

PS Do you remember the test that one of the car TV programs did to see how fast you needed to go to not get the picture ~ I think it was over 174mph ~ phew Laughing
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CP speed warning! Reply with quote

Hi Searcher,

Searcher22 wrote:
It was my understanding that as the GPS (for civil use?) has a resolution of 100ft and because that was so "coarse" speed measurement was inaccurate.

I think that it's around 15 meters or so but, since I have EGNOS switched on, it's usually under 6 feet. However, since the GPS speed is estimated over a series of readings, and over somewhat larger distances, I think that any inaccuracy gets evened out. This view is supported by the fact that, when I use cruise control, my GPS speed stays fairly constant (within 0.5mph).

Quote:
I think it was over 174mph

Since my speed is limited to 155mph to stop the tyres melting, I suspect that any attempt to reach 174mph would cause the diameter of my tyres to shrink alarmingly, and overestimate my speed as 200mph+, quickly followed by 0mph. Laughing

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CP speed warning! Reply with quote

Searcher22 wrote:
Er! have I missed something here? The camera warnings AFAIK are not the speed rating of the camera (unless someone has found an easy way of using the 'other' database i.e. not the single file one) they are the current (inaccurate) speed of the vehicle so when you hear a warning the place to look is your car speedometer ~ isn't it? Confused

I downloaded the warnings yesterday. I download
"UK Speed Zoned Complete 24 Files". I then used iankb's modified bitmaps (see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=44368 ), renamed the .ov2 files to the same base filename as the bit maps and then copied them across to the Copilot\Save directory.

Now when I approach a camera, I get a blob on the map with the speed limit at that point. The colour of the blob background shows whether its a mobile or fixed camera, with others if its a traffic light, SPECS etc. Sometimes the blob gets obscured by the route arrow, but overall, it seems to work well.

Then there is the normal panel in the corner of the screen which shows the current speed and distance from the camera.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CP speed warning! Reply with quote

ahenry wrote:
... I get a blob on the map with the speed limit at that point.

You call my bitmaps - a BLOB. Crying or Very sad

I'll have you know that these are carefully-crafted blobs. Wink

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CP speed warning! Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
....carefully-crafted blobs. ...

Sounds like an advert for M&S!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are rather BSOBs anyhow... carefully crafted BSOBs of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_large_object

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: CP speed warning! Reply with quote

Searcher22 wrote:
[It was my understanding that as the GPS (for civil use?) has a resolution of 100ft and because that was so "coarse" speed measurement was inaccurate.

The manufacturers say that at a constant speed and direction, on level ground and with a good fix, the speed from your GPS is accurate to about 0.1 MPH

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: