Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio C510/710 Speed Cameras Off-Route/Proximity Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio C510/710 Speed Cameras Off-Route/Proximity Alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Mio C510/710 Speed Cameras Off-Route/Proximity Alerts Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I know that the Speed Camera database isn't the best out there, but can someone confirm to me how the speed cam alerts are activating?

I thought Confused that the speed camera alerts would only display/sound for the active route (if one is planned and being followed) -- but I seem to be getting a lot of alerts for cameras that are in my proximity (e.g. on adjoining roads and/or nearby) as I drive past.

I've now done over 6,000 miles with my C510 and love it to bits, but it does seem a little odd when you hurtle round a bend in a motorway and the cam alert beeps alarmingly for a camera that can't even be seen on the map 8O

Is there a setting somewhere that I have missed to ensure that only cameras on my route (and in the direction of travel) activate the alert? Or is this another one for my Mio Wish list?? Wink

Thanks

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e
tegel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
my C710 only alerts if the camera is relevant, not even if it is on the same road, facing the opposite direction!

/M
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all.
Like tegel, I don't seen to be bothered by cameras that are not on my route.

CeeJay
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Tegel here. Though I haven't driven round a densely camera populated area like London yet. Though, unlike Tegel, I find that most of the cameras round here haven't got a direction set. Took me ages to go through and reset them only to download the bloody database all over it! I re-downloaded it and noticed that the directions I had set seem to come through from Mio this time. I think the database reads our devises first then uses that as the next update?
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys -- I have no problem with cameras on the route that have correctly set directions (the one's I have edited work correctly, only alerting when going in the direction of travel)

It's where a road is parallel to or intersects your direction of travel that things go wrong... It's almost as if there is a detection radius from my current position and any cameras in that circle trigger the alert - regardless of the highlighted route. If a camera is on a roundabout to the left or right of the route (as with the M40/A46 junction) the alert fires. I'll try and get screenshots to explain more clearly what I mean.

Maybe (to prove I'm not insane!) one of you would be kind enough to find a route you use on a regular basis that has a nearby parallel road, then add a camera to the parallel road. Plot a route along your normal road and see whether you get an alert or not Smile

In the meantime, I'll message fable and see how the software is supposed to work Wink

Proud owner of:
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that I can think of that may cause this is not having the 'keep on road' checked.
Otherwise, even mine (510) seems pretty well behaved, alerting me to only camera that are pointing in the rght direction etc, BUT sometimes it does alert me when I cant even see a camera on the screen. When I get home and look at the point it alerted me, I usually find a camera some distance away, off screen that triggered it!
Have to throw this one to Mio Support.
WooHooo..
---------------------------
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuzzyDuck wrote:
an.

Maybe (to prove I'm not insane!) one of you would be kind enough to find a route you use on a regular basis that has a nearby parallel road, then add a camera to the parallel road. Plot a route along your normal road and see whether you get an alert or not Smile

In the meantime, I'll message fable and see how the software is supposed to work Wink

A good example of a parallel road bringing up the camera alert is the section of M6 between about junction 4A and 5 northbound, where the Collector Road with numerous cameras and a 50 mph limit runs tightly parallel to the M6 for about 2 or 3 miles. It had me fooled for while as I can never remember any fixed cameras on that section of the M6.

BTW - recent updates have sorted out a lot of the mess on the "active traffic management" section of the M42. Most cameras have had the speeds removed because of the variable speed limits there.

Which is the best way to add a new camera? Do I have stop at the camera and add details? A new one has appeared on the A452 between Balsall Common and Stonebridge Island northbound.

Peasemold
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peasemold wrote:
Which is the best way to add a new camera? Do I have stop at the camera and add details? A new one has appeared on the A452 between Balsall Common and Stonebridge Island northbound.

Peasemold

Thanks Ravi & Peasmold -- I thought I was going loopy being the only person having camera alerts when they weren't even on the screen/route 8O

As for adding the cameras -- well you can do it from the cockpit screen while you are driving Wink although probably not recommended...

Just touch the map where the camera is and the display will switch to "lock mode" so it stays still and the menu will appear at the bottom of the screen.

Touch "Add Camera" and the camera screen will appear. Touch the camera icon to choose the type and touch the direction arrow to choose the cam direction (keep touching it to cycle through the options) You can even choose the speed on here to. That's it! When you go back to the map, the cam will be in place :D

I find this screen most useful for deleting pesky cams in the wrong place! You have to be good tho Laughing In cockpit mode, touch the camera on the map 8O and then choose "Edit Cam" (if you don't hit the cam icon spot on, it will say "Add Cam" so touch the map again) Then choose the "Delete" option. It's very satisfying to zap them, although I would have loved the sound of a shotgun as it disappears from the screen!! Wink

Hope that helps!

Proud owner of:

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: