Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcodes on Mio C710?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcodes on Mio C710?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freddie34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Postcodes on Mio C710? Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Hi, I'm back ... you don't get rid of me that easily!!

After spending a day in the darkroom to ease my migraine (brought on by my constant battle with the Mio C710), I've come across another problem ... how do I create a route using the postcode as an option? Considering this gadget is supposed to allow the use of 7 character postcodes it doesn't seem to exploit that utility!

Has anyone been able to setup a route using this feature? Question
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi freddie34

Welcome back.
When you go to search address, hit the button at the top right of the screen marked 'Change City' , then top RHS again 'Other City' and there you have it. The option to enter postcode.
The 'Other City' might not be an option if you haven't been outside your current City yet.
You also have to enter the space in the right place too.
e.g. RH14 2TP and not RH142TP and SW1 4EP and not SW14EP.

CeeJay.
freddie34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Thanks CeeJay, I needn't take the migraine tablets after all!!

I still struggle with the menus but I'm getting there and now with Philippa gracefully guiding me along I'm beginning to realise why others have switched over to Mio. However, I wish they could get their speed warnings more accurate ... I keep being warned I am exceeding the speed limit even when I am only doing 30mph in a 30mph area. Mio also tells me I'm speeding when the limit is 40mph so either my Ford Focus has it wrong or Mio has. Is there any way this can be corrected? Confused
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi freddie34

Glad you got sorted with your postcodes.

With regards to the speed warning, this is a software bug.
Allegedly, Mio are aware of this so hopefully it will be fixed soon.
In the meantime, I've heard that if you set your tolerance sliders to about 60% then it is about right.
Or, you could always do what I do and turn it off till they fix it. :D

By the way, have you got a copy of the full manual (all 94 pages of it)?
If you haven't and want a copy, PM me your email address and I'll send it over. Lots of useful information in it.

CeeJay.
freddie34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CeeJay,

Thanks for that info on the speed settings ... I hope Mio come up with the fix quicker than they deal with e-mails. It's two weeks since I e-mailed them and still no reply!

Regarding the manuals, yes I have all of them and printed to A5 to make it more compact. Just need to ring-bind them now! Thanks for the offer though!

My only real problem now is that lack of communication between my Belkin Bluetooth dongle and the Mio, I still can't get full contact despite my various attempts to create a password.

Cheers for now, until the next post!

freddie34
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very disappointed with the speed limit facility on my 510 even with the 60% correction as so many of the limits are well out of date. Certainly limits that have been in force here for many years are just wrong on the Mio. I realise it's difficult to keep up to date but disappointing all the same.
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have turned the speed limit warning off. It was getting annoying shouting back at the machine "No, I am not oves it was jr the limit, you've got the limit wrong!"

It seems ot me that the system takes into account the type of road you are on (motorway, a/b road, etc...) and applies a generic speed limit modified by whether or not you are in an urban area. I don't think there are any route specific speed limits loaded.
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palexr wrote:
I have turned the speed limit warning off. It was getting annoying shouting back at the machine "No, I am not oves it was jr the limit, you've got the limit wrong!"

What am I saying? I have no idea!

"No, I am ot over the speed limit, you've got the limit wrong" Is what I was shouting.

Why is there no edit option like in every other forum I know of?
freddie34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like this is one of those options you either love or hate ... in my case, I hate it. What's the point of a function if it doesn't work accurately.

So I think I'll join the rank and file and turn the Evil or Very Mad thing off!

Thanks for the feedback folks, I'm sure to be back!!
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rronaldson wrote:
I've been very disappointed with the speed limit facility on my 510 even with the 60% correction as so many of the limits are well out of date. Certainly limits that have been in force here for many years are just wrong on the Mio. I realise it's difficult to keep up to date but disappointing all the same.

I agree. Unfortunately, this is a TeleAtlas issue and not a Mio one -- TeleAtlas added speed limit information to the digital maps they supply.

I think we (as users of the C510/710s) are one of the few groups of people who have this feature available on our GPS units and Mio/iGo should be given kudos/respect for the innovation. There are a couple of other units out there that have the facility - but not many! I can just imagine what will happen when this feature is available on the more popular units (like the TomTom) -- because their data comes from TeleAtlas too!! 8O

I personally can't wait Twisted Evil the more people who complain, the more notice the mapping company should take!

But of course, when a council or authority decide to move the road signs and re-grade the road speeds, I wonder whether their procedures include informing TeleAtlas/etc?

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: