Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map detail - options to check before buying?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map detail - options to check before buying?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Map detail - options to check before buying? Reply with quote

Hello,

Another one contemplating investing in some more GPS kit...

Presently have a mixed collection of kit, some of it even working (to varying extents)... 8O

Ipaq 2210, Zire 72 with Via Michelin software and bluetooth gps (and Kirrio mount).

The requirement is for a long driving holiday through France, Germany, Austria and Italy in September.

Haven't really got on with the via Michelin system and it's UK only so not that keen on exanding it to European coverage.

Cheapest way would prob be to get TT5 European maps and install on one of the pdas - but don't know if it's got the required detailed coverage for the minor roads, etc - and local retailers don't have the units on demo... There's also the potential issue of persuading the (Kirrio?) bluetooth gps to play with Tom Tom.

Anyway - onto the point of this question - any place I can see what level of detail the maps go to online (vaguely remember a link last year that took you to the maps so you could see the level of detail) - reason is to check if the detail is appropriate.

Or is it a case of travelling (potentially quite a bit) to find a place that's got a 700 or 910 equivalent on demo?

Grateful for help!

Many thanks :D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

map24 used to have only TeleAtlas masp but now like everybody they are showing a mix of TeleAtlas, Navteq and AND . You can try them

http://www.us.map24.com/

or use Google maps. - they also tell yo which map provideris used for a particular place.

There is no guarantee that the same level of detail is used in the programs - the best is indeed to test drive it in a shop.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try going in to halfords or pcworld and see if they have a go700 on display and have a play with it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
m100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the suggestions - map links look good - and they suggest Navteq will do what I want - google ones were using Teleatlas so not so sure! 8O

As you say the proof is in actually testing the units - but the only local PCWorld hasn't got anything with European mapping on demo - and Halfords here is fairly small so limited selection again.
Usual suspects from Garmin and TT on the initial list - although wondering about some Mio stuff as well (could be interesting finding a test of those).

Sounds like some longer journeys may be required...!
CharlieG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Map detail Reply with quote

I use an iPaq 2210 with TT5 Maps of Europe and drive in France quite regularly. The detail on minor roads is perfectly acceptable in fact it has sometimes sent me down roads which are barely wide enough for the car (my own fault for selecting shortest route).
I have also used Destinator PN on the same iPaq with similar results,
Dest 6, Maps of Europe, Memory Map Navigator (Europe Edition)
GlobalSat SDI0 SD-501 GPS, BT GPS
TT BT GPS, Inforad
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin have a map viewer on their website and you can use it to check out the map detail for the area you are interested in.

It's mostly useful for checking coverage in areas where it's not 100% complete, ie Ireland or Eastern Europe.

The map detail varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, even though they use the same Navteq or Teleatlas map provider, some of them don't use the latest maps.

It's pot luck really, ANY system will have it's own problems or quirks.
m100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the help - much appreciated! Both as you say will have their benefits, and issues - and looking through the online maps both at least recognise the places I'm going to - slight edge for Navteq in French location having extra road names on the ones I looked at.

Had a look at the Garmin and TT stands at Excel last week just to test the kit a little more.

After the usual pause Embarassed for reflection I've gone with TT5 Western European collection and a 1G SD card (nominally high speed). Only minor problem is now I've loaded them onto the 2210 (with card) I'm now wondering about using it on the Zire 72 instead (already have mounts for this, unlike the ipaq). Was planning on using whatever pda I take for mp3 playback on the trip as well just to increase the demands on it (assuming Z72 can play mp3's OK while running TT programme?)...

Don't suppose any kind soul would have any feeback on the suitability of Zire 72/TT mix? Suspect I'd have to splice a power cable extension on the supplied Kirrio mount.

Maps not activated yet - believe I have to make a choice between the 2210 or Z72 as host pda - and then stick with it for a while before TT will allow a device change?

Grateful for any feedback!

Many thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: