Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - c710 is it that good???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

c710 is it that good???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoesclogs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: c710 is it that good??? Reply with quote

Hi All

After struggling for hours to get this gps to do what I want I am now at a loss to get this thing to work. All I want to do is get it to go via motorways and not all over the smaller roads that I know will be slower in rush hour. I have tried poi's via's bus lorry slowest fastest economical nothing works. Please is there anyone out there that can suggest something. frankly this is the least user friendly piece of kit I have ever owned why is it so highly rated? Are the rest even worse??

Thx
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: c710 is it that good??? Reply with quote

Hi shoesclogs.
Are we to assume you have the motorway option ticked in Route settings, if so, one question.
Are you using the TMC?
If so, don't plug the TMC aerial in before you start your journey.
Just a thought, but I suspect the TMC is routing you around reported traffic problems, as it does this automatically.

shoesclogs wrote:
Hi All

frankly this is the least user friendly piece of kit I have ever owned why is it so highly rated? Are the rest even worse??

Thx

It is highly rated because it is better than most.
Whilst it takes a while to get used to, you will find the routing on the C710 is better than most of the others out there. (TT, Garmin & Navman to name but three).
There are others who visit this forum who will, I hope, back me up on this.

Hope this helps.

CeeJay.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I endorse all that CeeJay has said.
What you have to remember is that no routing device will ever give you the perfect result. It is just doing a large number of mathematical calculations based of distance and road speeds. It will never be as good as an experienced driver with knowledge of the route, so if you are familiar with any given area you will always know better routes than the device can offer you..
In general it will prefer motorways on long journeys, and be more likely to avoid them on very short ones.
Try this: Next time you are going to an unfamiliar place and you want to use the motorway, include a waypoint at the motorway junction nearest to your destination, or use that junction as your starting point. That way it will do exactly what you want. You don't need the navigation at your local end of the journey because you know those roads anyway.

Sal
shoesclogs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: C710 Is it that good? Reply with quote

Hi there

thanks for the advice. I turned off TMC and tried a route nothing doing would not go near the motorway. Ticked motorways and still nothing tried bus, truck, emergency. Not doing it. I know that in the morning trying to go from Blackheath to Epsom it is quicker to go via the a20 and then m25 rather than drive thru every small road via croydon. Why on earth can you not select mostly motorway??? It seems obvious to me but not to the people that design GPS systems??? Am I missing something?

I will try to set a waypoint via motorway services etc but when I did this before it took me all the way there on a and b roads then onto the motorway just before the junction and then back off again?

Many thx
shoesclogs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: getting better Reply with quote

Hi All

Wife was on the m27 and an accident came up on the tmc which auto re routed her thru the new forest avoiding the delay and she was very impressed. At last she is beginning to like the mio!!!!

Still need to spend more time figuring out PIO's and favorites but maybe we will crack it.

Thx
Stefan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: The 710 is good- though it needs a bit of getting used to Reply with quote

I have just returned from a week in Spain. I took the 710 with me as I knew that I would be doing a fair bit of driving. It was very impressive. It even had the service roads shown at the hospital than I was visiting (a sick relative in). Everything worked as you would expect. The TMC was picking up (using the external antenna) a range of traffic information, though some was hundreds of miles away. The GPS took about twenty seconds to find its location with a clear sky on initial startup in Spain (the closedown having been in the UK). It took it a little longer top find itself back in the UK. Not a problem given the 1500 mile difference in locations.

Speed limit information on the roads was reasonably accurate, though I would certainly not rely on it in any country!

So far I have found the battery life to be less than predicted. Usuing TMC, backlight and GPS I am only getting about two and a half hours before the low battery warning comes up.

Stefan
mgrah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bothers me a bit regarding the TMC re-routing is that there are only two options; off or automatic rerouting. I would prefer to have a possibility to have a dialogue where the device first asks me to do about a certain problem.

The Volvo RTI has this feature, and it's a lot better in city traffic where knowing the problem and the roads gives you the opportunity to based on personal experience decide wheter or not to re-route.

The TMC on the C710 does not display the full message, only the (what I assume) coded messages in plain text. Usually with the RTI I get a textual description that is attached to the TMC message (i.e. "Slow traffic, average speed right now is 15 km/h." or "Road construction until Nov 30, 2006."). I assume the messages are only displayed in the local language, but even so I'd like to see them displayed in Europe.

/Mikael
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Hmm for a start a sat nav that comes integrated within a Volvo is chance to be fairly expensive, more so than a Mio C710 so in other words you get what you pay for. Plus if the Volvos sat nav up, you`d have a lot to fork out in repairs too wouldnt you surely.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: