Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - newbie with Mio C710 sores
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie with Mio C710 sores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miomio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: newbie with Mio C710 sores Reply with quote

since I can't post my sorrows here due to
[http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=243690&highlight=#243690]

I would like to point everyone (if) interested to this link, where I have vented all my feelings about the Mio C710 :-)

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63751

and please see the post of "Posted - 08/09/2006 : 21:03:24" there [the 2nd one below ]

Thanks in advance

Regards
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miomio,

See my reply
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59568&whichpage=10&SearchTerms=%2Cc710

(doubel post?)
miomio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and Thanks Alex , and to all who have read this thread so far

and Some more juicy findings today:-

yesterday I had added a speed cam.
This morning before leaving, I syncd. my mio, and passing through the same point, I was surprised that the camera added yesterday was not there today(in mio).
Possible explanations:-
1) Mio synch does not recognize my camera in it's database and erased it while synch. was going on.

which also means ,my added camera was not uploaded for others to use.
Yet, I see that for Netherlands, the amount of speed-cam increases in numbers each day. Last friday it was 39990 and this morning 4094 and as I write it's climbed to 4098.
It boggles the mind as to how the camera numbers are jumping each day. I am pretty sure the Govt. does not plant 10-to-15 new cameras into the country each day.
anyway it was food for some thought and still no clue why a bonafide camera addition was taken off , even though camera numbers on the mio site are springing up like rats in the sewer system.(good comparision though) :-)
miomio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm...I don't think I can edit my posts.
small errata in my last post, it was not "39990" cameras but '3990'. Embarassed
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miomio wrote:

Possible explanations:-
1) Mio synch does not recognize my camera in it's database and erased it while synch. was going on.
which also means ,my added camera was not uploaded for others to use.

It boggles the mind as to how the camera numbers are jumping each day. I am pretty sure the Govt. does not plant 10-to-15 new cameras into the country each day.

When you add or delete a camera on your machine, it is kept in a separate temporary file and will stay there until the next time you 'sync'. Then the Mio server may add it to your permanent file. It won't make it immediately available to other users, sensibly enough because there could soon be lots of duplicates or errors. They seem to wait until a number of people have reported the same change before adding it to the main database. But it's not a perfect system - some of us have been quietly testing it and it's quite unpredictable.

The reason for the rapidly increasing numbers in NL is very probably the same as in the UK - simply the many cameras missing from their database which are gradually being added. There are many more to go!
miomio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wo-ho.. Sallyann where do you get all these inside information from Thumbs Up

& Thx. for this clarification
miomio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is rich !

Just wrote a POI complaint to the MIO tech support and look what MIO's support site takes me to, when I logged the issue:-

--------------------------------------------------------------

[http://www.mio-tech.be/support/contact.php?country=Netherlands]

--------------------------------------------------------------

Contact support
Support for Mio in Netherlands

Before contacting us, please make sure that your question hasn't been answered in our FAQ section.

Please beware that we temporarily experience unusually long delays for support by telephone in France. We advise you to contact our support centre by e-mail. We will work out the issue as soon as possible and apologize for the inconvenience.

Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\mio-tech.be\httpdocs\includes\mailer\class.smtp.php on line 146

Warning: fgets(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\mio-tech.be\httpdocs\includes\mailer\class.smtp.php on line 1024
Message could not be sent.

Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: from_failedMio Support MailerPHP Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\mio-tech.be\httpdocs\includes\mailer\class.smtp.php on line 146 PHP Warning: fgets(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\mio-tech.be\httpdocs\includes\mailer\class.smtp.php on line 1024

------------------------------------------------------------------

their support needs support 8O
miomio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just logging down all my experiences in this log book.(captain's log startship ent.Guinness )
Today after stepping out of the car Driving , I took the c710 out and put it in it's respective case. After an hour or two, I started it again and it would not start(no power) . I know the batteries were full or near full , since it was on the charger all the time during my last trip. I then tried it with the charger , then directly with A.C current(via their adapter) and with USB connected, no joy.
I was about to cry my heart out Crying , thinking about all those phone calls about returning it back and more phone calls and bla bla bla on the phone ....

Workaround:- hard reset. & afaik all's still intact(settings, favourites etc.) except that I had to make the bluetooth connection again for my phone (from scratch)

Analysis:- c710 was 'hot' when I got off the car and immediately went inside the case. temperature difference would be the most likely cause, unless someone from you states otherwise.

Just one more day loving & hating the c710.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miomio wrote:
Just logging down all my experiences in this log book.(captain's log startship ent.Guinness )
Today after stepping out of the car Driving , I took the c710 out and put it in it's respective case. After an hour or two, I started it again and it would not start(no power)

Are you certain that you switched it off before putting it in the case? If not it would have run with the backlight on and got very warm inside the closed case. This could well have caused it to trip.
Sal[/b]
miomio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am sure I switched it off. I was in an underground garage when I last stepped out. Underground garages are mostly gloomy and there's no way I could have put it inside the case with it glowing like a Jedi sword .
No but serious, the screen was as dark as the garage(switched off) when I put it inside the casing.
Now , I just take it in my hands and give it some air as I walk out and then put it inside the case, maybe after a minute or two.

Once bitten twice shy.
miomio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more Log:-

when adding a cam. the "add cam" triggers off the coordinates [Lat. and Long.] of the camera and not when pressing the "ok" button.I would see a camera coming up and would ready myself with the "add cam" status to 'on' and would press the "ok" button just when I passed it , so to mark it exactly where it stands, but afterwards, I see the cam. much ahead on the screen than it's actual location. and that's because of the above.
I have tried this around a time or 5, to come to the above hypothesis.8)
anyone else had any other exp. ?
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,

Pressing the "add Cam" seems to place the offending item on the map rather than the OK.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miomio wrote:

anyone else had any other exp. ?

I think it will always be unreliable to try and capture a point (eg a camera) as you pass it. The GPS location is changing rapidly in three dimensions and the unit will be constantly catching up, averaging out the data, and perhaps even predicting the position ahead according to your current speed. I think the only way you can accurately measure the location is to stop under the camera for a few seconds and wait for the display to stabilise.
Don't forget also that the indicated position will change according to whether you have 'Keep on road' checked.

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: